[Completed] 2016 Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Nom de Plume, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link

Meeting of Fate in the Night of the Dead

written by: @sordahon12
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

There was a human in ancient times. The times he was born into were one of misery and pain. An era of nobles and commoners where a single word of the so called special beings could very well descend hell upon the innocent.

Born with a pure heart and honest look, he was the very definition of the helpless one. Alas there is a saying the only people who can be extreme of character are most evil and most innocent. Pure souls aren't a character in a certain way, since most of them by time of adulthood have succumbed to evil covering the world becoming the evil nobles and middle commoners.

The very one human is this stories hero, or should I say salvation?

His background was common. He was born in a poor family. Both of his parents died by his 15th birthday. By some stroke of luck the boy managed to remain pure since beginning of his life to the very moment of independence.

A very pure boy, farmer by experience and poor by fate, had his life change the moment he met her. That day could be called be called both his most sorrowful and most beautiful. He was visiting the place where he buried his parents deep in the village graveyard. She was standing there, her smiling face shining under the moonlight of night of the dead.

This peculiar day was said to bring the mortal world close to the spiritual world, which legends said could sometimes bring wandering souls into realm of men. Perhaps the gods saw his sorrow because the girl the boy saw wasn't of the normal kind. Even in this night sky with little light he could see that the girl was a little bit transparent.

He glanced at her pretty smile, which he hadn't seen the like of before. His whole life was one lived with parents and at this very moment, as if by magic, his heart started beating faster than ever. He of course heard of that feeling, the feeling of love.

One of many cases where a person fell in love at first sight. This was him meeting a dead girl which changed the world itself.

As the boy stood up from his sitting position in front of two grave he started walking slowly towards the girl. The stories he heard didn't merely contain a simple meeting with spirits. There were some where dead killed the living out of hatred since they themselves were dead. This wasn't a meeting like that. He knew the feeling of first love had intoxicated him, but he couldn't think straight.

He started blushing as he finally stood before the girl, when he saw how really beautiful the being in front of him was. He had seen a few pretty girls in his village but they weren't as great as she was.

Suppressing his emotions and gathering his courage he spoke his first words with her.

"Um- Hello?" Even under his timid manner the girl continued to smile, her loving eyes confused the boy slightly. He wondered why she looked at him like that on their first meeting. After a while she gently spoke,

"...." Words flew like springtime wind trough the fields. Alas he couldn't understand it. It didn't even sound like language to him.

"C-can you understand me? ...Lady." He spoke timidly yet politely.

The smile of the girl grew even wider as she stood there. He could see how his view around her fluctuated like near the fire.

"My name is ..." The beauties smile faltered for a second strangely as the boy spoke his name, but returned to as before after a second.

He sat there on a rock thoughtfully as he couldn't understand the girl, but he didn't seem worried. His parents died just before and she appeared as if to comfort him. He was grateful to the world for this meeting.

Hours passed as boy spoke about his life to the girl who didn't seem bored by his one sided conversation.

The aura around her seemed as if she was enjoying her time in mortal world. But as time flew the morning sun was rising above. The boy who was talking suddenly jolted. He stared at the morning sun and the faltering appearance of the girl. Although they couldn't really converse he was filled with peacefulness as he told her about himself. To be truthful he felt even better than when his parents were alive. He panicked as he thought that after this day he wouldn't meet this girl again.

Strength filled his voice as he asked her.

"Will we meet again?"

Faltering beauty as if sudden strength filled her being stabilized her fading body and spoke last words.

".... ... ....."

Touching his cheek with her tender hand she brought him closer and lightly kissed him before the inevitable.

The boy knelt there, watching her fading body as he smiled sadly. He met her today but she disappeared just like his parents.

But perhaps not forever.

He stood up and shakily made his way home filled with many feelings, hopeful to meet her again.

The sun was almost showing it's magnificence fully in the now empty graveyard as the figure appeared again briefly:
    "Thank you for showing me that the pure can survive in this evil world even though I, your wife of a lifetime, have succumbed to evil myself. Forgive me and thank you once again sole human living in a world of demons."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Rating and Reviews
    Final Rating: fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png nostar.png nostar.png nostar.png nostar.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Sordahon likes this.
  2. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link

Five Candles

written by: @yonna

It all started with a bad grade I got at school. My parents, thinking I had gotten stressed from all the exams, decided to send me to my hometown. I was absolutely thrilled. I had wanted to go there but I didn't have the chance to because I had been too busy and to tell you the truth going there takes up a lot of time.

I hopped on the bus and I could already feel those amazing holidays coming. I searched through my bag and brought out some chips to eat when I noticed I had forgotten my phone.

"What a bad way to start my day"- I whispered. My parents knew I was a klutz so I thought they would understand.

I reached my hometown. The air was so fresh and the mountains were amazingly breathtaking. I started talking with my cousins who I had not met in 2 years and we had so much fun remembering the old times.

My family had a tradition on the happy days and they would uphold it every time. I went to the shop and bought 5 candles because I was told by my cousins that I was supposed to light them up at my family tombs as they were supposed to bring prosperity.

I myself did not believe in such things however I did not plan to argue with them so I took the flashlight and the candles and headed for the tombs. It was very dark and a cold wind was slowly merging with the mist. The full moon was standing above my head and no clouds could be seen.

As I was walking suddenly I felt someone behind me. I was trembling and I could not turn my back as I was remembering those ghost stories I had heard from my friends. I walked away slowly and I saw that it had just been the tree branches.

Breathing out a sigh of relief I continued to walk on my own as I knew the place too well and my cousins were kind of busy. As I approached I noticed only 4 tombs.

Thinking that my eyes had played a trick on me I looked again but to no avail. I stopped trying and lit up the candles. Firstly I lit up my grandpas candle then my uncles. As I tried lighting up my grandmas candle I noticed that I could not do it no matter how hard I tried. The howls were creeping me out so I ran as fast as I could.

I went home and explained everything. My uncle and his wife decided that we should go to the tombs once again. When we went there next to the 4 graves we saw another open grave. My family had been surprised when I told them that I had brought 5 candle with me because I had seen 5 tombs when there were 4.

I was speechless. The open grave had appeared out of nowhere.

My cousin Kevin who was 6 years older than me tried to lit up the candle on my grandmas grave but he could not. Just when we where leaving Kevin's phone rang.

He talked for some time on the phone an turned at me. "Whats wrong?" I asked.

He stopped for a bit before he said "Our uncle has died."

Rating and Reviews
    Final Rating: fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png fullstar.png nostar.png nostar.png nostar.png nostar.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Dafuq is the tag "University Campus Setting"?

Will add more opinions to stories later...

4. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that Ive red my work after half a year I feel like its unsatisfying.

5. Mivdyr

Mivdyr 『The Curious One』

Reading List:
    Link
    considering I was writing my story with quite a high fever, the score could've been worse.

6. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    So the second vote is basically a 0...

7. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Different people have different tastes...

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  8. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    I cannot take it as negative vote. It's basically zero. Well, the story is overedited too so I don't feel bother about the contest anymore.

9. ShuiLin

ShuiLin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reserved?

10. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations @KingOfMangonia for the victory.

I got that it was halloween. Well a poem won, and it won, because the theme was right and it was creative, good job.

11. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    @rdawv can be considered a parody of Silent Hill 2 I guess.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    A big thank you to all who had participated. I hope I haven't offended people with my remarks, and would like to think that they are of some help to the contributors.

Ah, now I see.

AMissingLinguist, Pyoo, happy and 3 others like this.
  13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Mind explaining why was the cohesiveness low?
    Is it because you thought it was just random conversations?
    I'm pretty sure it's obvious that the story is about Orange at a party then going home...

14. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    @rdawv will probably answer himself but, this happened before...

15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    oh.....

:|

16. happy

happy [happily dead] [heartless] [contracted to Tony]

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations @KingOfMangonia!!!!

Thank you @Nom de Plume and all the judges for all your effort!

And also to all the other participants for continuing to make NUF a great place to keep writing at!

17. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    He won but you took away his like farming capabilities!? D: D: D: Shame nomnom! Shame!

Anyway thanks for the contest, noms and judges~
    Congrats to all contestants!~ The gruesome wait is over :v

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  18. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't take it away... he never posted in the thread when I asked in the pm Q-Q

I wonder if @Tony has a way to replace my posts with the appropriate users?

19. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if he edited in the database directly...

20. regan

regan Forever baby!!

Reading List:
    Link
    So, it has begin:coffee:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.