Discussion What to do In Japan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Otaku2549, Apr 5, 2017.

1. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that you are a lost young man seeking answer for your problem. But I have a great solution for your problem!

What you should do:
    Step 1. Go to the nearest road.
    Step 2. Wait for Truck-kun to come.
    Step 3. Jump in front of Truck-kun.
    Step 4. Get splattered across the road
    Step 5. Reincarnate to another world.
    Step 6. Profit

*P.S. we claim no responsibility for anything that will or will not happen should you follow this instruction

2. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... You could look around to see if you could find any Hotsprings(Onsen)?

Could try the local Massage possibilities as well...

Try invite a random female/male (of age) to guide you about for a day(3-5h)? Assuming you know how to speak Japanese. Assuming you aren't on a tight budget that is.

Edit;

Oh, oh! Visit a local shrine! Take pictures, do the clap shrine thingie to pay homage and what not!

3. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to go to a club, from what I've heard from friends, Ageha is a good one.

Lemonediscream likes this.
  4. FeatherAli

FeatherAli Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been to Japan only once, accompanying a relative. If you never been there here's a few tips.

Dont expect them to know english. You will survive without it.
    Always respond when they welcome you in a shop/restaurant.
    Don't wait for the waiter, you have to speak up and call them. Yes, it's emberassing at first.
    Don't try to find specific places. Its hard to navigate and you will miss many wonderful things. If you are lost you will discover many amazing stuff you never even heard of.
    (Example:Dont try to find kitkat. Kitkat will find you in unexpected places)
    Sakeee! Beer is ok.
    Eat anywhere, but smaller restaurants and street vendors are the best.
    The black alleys are beautyful and strange. We were once lost in tokyo and found a real italian bar right out of a kartel movie.
    There is no such thing as personal space. Get over it.
    I recommend the metro. Cheapest and best.
    Buy a travel chipcard, cant remember a name but it is everywhere. Its convinient and useful.
    Optional travel phone renting. Its worth it for a month.
    Have some change with you at all times.
    Vendingmachines... everywhere...

I cant remember more atm. Ask if you have questions.

5. Nyanboro

Nyanboro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    June Seasonal Japanese Seafood
    [​IMG]

June Seasonal Seafood
    The arrival of ayu is a sign that summer has arrived. Simply salted and grilled is the most popular way of serving this tender-fleshed fish. Kawahagi is a funny looking fish. The skin is so thick, hence the name kawahagi, or leather jacket. We love this fish as sashimi. If we’re lucky, the fresh fish will have its liver, which we mix with ponzu and serve with the sashimi.

Katsuo simply seared on the edges, sliced thickly, and served with some soy sauce and garlic. Katsuo tataki is particularly nice if you can garnish it with fresh myoga. Karei is lovely when deep-fried whole, a dish called karei no kara-age.

As for octopus, which is one of my favorite seafood if cooked properly, there are so many recipes. Shinji and I visited an octopus-processing factory and the staff there suggested putting boiled octopus on top of Japanese curry. It’s so easy as boiled octopus is often sold in Japanese supermarkets. And, it’s yummy.

Suzuki is a nice fish to sauté meuniere style. Tobiuo we love as sashimi. As for saba, there are so many different preparations, including simmered in miso, salted and grilled, deep-fried, or sautéed.

If you are in Tokyo, be sure to visit Tamai in Nihonbashi, near Takashimaya, for anago which is in season now.

And, while wakame is not a seafood, this sea vegetable is in season now. If you have the opportunity to have some you are in for a treat to enjoy its texture and flavor this time of year.

6. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    Maids.

7. Panzaro

Panzaro It's just mayonnaise~

Reading List:
    Link
    This man has his priorities straight! Add in being weird AF while in Japan and everything is good.

Prepare to be... Slightly disappointed because no robot ninja meido

8. Nyanboro

Nyanboro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    watch this movie

[​IMG]

9. KaitoChrom

KaitoChrom Monster

Reading List:
    Link
    Octo-gripper (lenny face)

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Absolutely go enjoy Kobe Beef. It's really good. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it. Even on the first bite, my tears flowed down to my nipples. Just sinking my teeth into the tendery softness pushes the tears up my ducts and made me sob like a heartbroken woman. It was like at that very moment, all my worries and all my sadness crashed against me and liberated my soul. It was so dramatic that the chef also cried and the manager offered me a discount next time I come again. Seriously, go for it. If you can somehow go to Akita, try Akita Black Beef, they're supposedly better. Don't put this off.

2) Osaka Castle. One of the most iconic castles in Japan, built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Go read the wikipedia article to find out why it's so important.
    [​IMG]

3) Osaka Museum of Housing and Living. It very unique. You have read those mangas where you can wear kimonos (for around 500 yen) and walk through period Japanese roads? At this museum, you can do that. http://konjyakukan.com/info_e.html
    [​IMG]

4) If you want to try Matsuzaka Beef, Hosenji Yokocho is pretty awesome. http://www.matsusaka-projects.com/shoplist/houzennji.html

5) Go visit landmarks for Kimi no Na wa. http://goinjapanesque.com/29396/ and https://fastjapan.com/en/p112544
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6) Eat yakiniku at Tsuruhashi. The Tsuruhashi Station is surrounded by yakiniku restaurants. They're very good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7) Asahi Beer Suita Factory. If you like beer, this is definitely a place to go to in Osaka. You can try up to 3 glasses of beer. http://www.asahibeer.co.jp/brewery/suita/
    [​IMG]

8) If you're into whiskey instead, go to Suntory distillery. You can sample the different whiskeys there. But be aware that some events you need to pay, so watch that signboard and make enquiries before you go.
    http://www.suntory.com/factory/yamazaki/index.html?__utma=198440237.1810094787.1435923853.1435923854.1437320547.2&__utmb=198440237.4.8.1437320547&__utmc=198440237&__utmx=-&__utmz=198440237.1437320547.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not provided)&__utmv=198440237.|25=FOID=AE_wOvicI52mPZS0dd5mPn0vaOc=1^26=FOSG="2355","6321","6333","8959","10310","12446","13470","14359","15961","16089","31622","33549","34021","34104","45254","45255",=1&__utmk=131042767

But be warned:
    9) Play arcade at Round 1 Stadium. You may think "but it's just an arcade, my city got them". You'll be both right and wrong. It is an arcade, yes, but not 'just' an arcade. No lewdness involved.
    [​IMG]

10) Eat uiroumochi. Yes, I know it's the specialty of Gifu and Nagoya, but you can also find them in Osaka. If you've read Oda Nobuna no Yabou, you'll know this word but likely has never seen the real thing.
    [​IMG]

To be fair there's really not much stuff in Osaka outside of sakura viewing. But then again, I never spent too much time in Osaka. It's usually the place I wait for Waiwai to get off work before we head off to Hokkaido or Akita.

I see that you have already included Inari shrine. That's a great place. Too bad no live foxes, but it's cool, bring inari sushi when you go there as offering. If you want to go to Tokyo just for Akihabara, it's not really worth the bother, unless you're going to wholesale the manga, LN and anime stock over there. Akiba is not what the manga and anime portray it to be, you know. There are maid cafes, but they are only good for the experience. You can't take pictures in maid cafes, though you can pay them to take your picture with maids.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Doomr and Nyanko like this.
  11. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Osaka is good too. Especially their foods.

12. Zeckzen

Zeckzen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Careful of chikan

13. SirMajorLemon

SirMajorLemon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Hallow Cause

Hallow Cause Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to the nearest public market and find yourself some tentacles.

15. Kata-ngahan

Kata-ngahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Find the freaking gate so you could go to another world safe and not dead

16. momonga143

momonga143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you people talking about! When in Japan it's always about truck-kun... Don't forger him... 1 way trip to another world! Woo

17. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    If i bumped into one of these huge dudes, the impact would probably strong enough to make me hit my head on the wall or pavement which lead to cranial bleeding and unsciousness. So i choose the hot female nurse/ doctor who treat me.

18. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not a whale; its a whale shark! Whale sharks are the largest fish. Whales are the largest mammals

Scarecrow and Ai chan like this.
  19. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Himeji is better and its only an hour and a half away by express train. Osaka is boring but Kansai is amazing.
    Another thing I just remembered is the kyoto international museum of manga. I didnt visit it while I was temple hopping but I saw it on my way to Honnou-ji

Ai chan likes this.
  20. Jaynne

Jaynne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to try lots of food there..

There is a really nice (quite famous with local) ramen shop in Osaka or shin Osaka station.

Also, Takoyaki is a must..