Qidian $0.03 per chapter: potential business model

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by JungleLucian, Apr 10, 2017.

?

What do you think of Qidian International charging $0.03 per chapter (first 100 chapters free)

1. Good Idea

10.1%
  2. Bad Idea

89.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    im siding with 2 until i get a credit card so i can go with 3.

2. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Since Qidian is not responding...
    No point in argueing...

All those who want to implement paywalls... Are idiots... Traitors..
    Betraying the reader faction!!!

All those who want ads.... Are still sane...
    And those who want free are idiots... The big ones...

Raizeljr likes this.
  3. PamelAxiah

PamelAxiah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope to be option 1 or 2.because i don't have any card or the different currency with my country

4. Raizeljr

Raizeljr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess option #2 is the best for us poor readers and the site as well, since Qidian International now is gaining a popularity with their choice of novel.

5. Princess Renesmee

Princess Renesmee Cry baby

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I prefer the option 1 and 2, but if someday they put a paywall instead, I don't mind to pay for the chapters (as long as it's cheap :LOL: I agree with your suggest to charge $0.03) HOWEVER.. I think they have to provide more payment options. Not only through paypal or CC but maybe they can consider gift card or phone credit :cool:

6. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    ok lets say it is $0.03 per chapter after chapter 100 lets also say each novel has 1000 chapters and 1000 people read the 900 payed for chapters thats 27$ per person or 27,000$ and thats just 1 novel with only 900 payed chapters with tons of potential novels they could be making 500k$ if they fully translate all of what they have right now with only 1000 people reading since only need 18 novels with over 1k chapters 900 payed to make 500k

7. aridharma

aridharma Hikikomori NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    i think option 3 will make people(pure lechers) run to aggregator site.

8. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    Man I thought people got over all their qidian speculation

9. JungleLucian

JungleLucian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiaworld is generating $50,000+ a month on Patreon from early access

That's $600,000+ a year.

Early access has proven to work. Let's hope Qidian use it too. That would cover the annual cost of translating 50 novels at $40 per chapter.

10. Ughzug

Ughzug Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure the donations are great but how much of that actually gets back to the original author? Like % wise it would be interesting to know on ww's model. As well as how much it's making in targeted ad rev. The pay wall is a bad thing for ad rev and building a loyal readership. it also directly encourages authors to print out filler chapters but the same could be said of ad rev. I do like wuxia current model but I feel like it will be a while before QI could see decent returns. This is because it's feels like it's lacking a social platform to build a community. Also if ad rev counted towards extra chapter releases I feel there'd be a lot more people not using adblock.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  11. Yukino

Yukino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure most purebred leecher won't offer even 1/100 cent. And as a long time leecher who haven't paid for anything on the internet my entire life, I choose option 1 or 2. I will probably stop reading the novel with pay wall even if I like it.

barashkafromro likes this.
  12. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So why don't spread the burden to everyone with a far lower cost? Why should only specific people bear the burden? There is no clear benefit they can earn. Access to early chapter but within the same pace of the regular customer is not "beneficial" enough. At least not for me.

Btw you need to expand your data model.

Jimminx got around 56$/month
    IRAS, one of the popular WN only got 143$(not sure how much CK got for AC and TMW)
    Rainbow Turtle only got around 1k/month and She spawn like 20 chapters/week.

Other translator earn around 1-5k.

So not everyone got 35k/month

And the cost for one chapter is more than 40$. You need to calculate the cost of people that maintain the web, the mobile apps dev, the profit that Qi expect/chapter, the part where Qi need to pay the original author (if any)

Anyway, until Qi can make sure that their translator can punch out chapter regularly then they are doing sucidal move from my side

13. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link

Wuxiaworld pays for the copyrights. They signed an agreement with Qidian back in December for 20 novels.

Qidian gets 50%
    Authors gets 50%

As for how much, it is speculated that a very popular novel like I Shall Seal the Heavens with 1500 chapters could go as high as $200,000.

So Er Gen gets $100,000 and Qidian gets $100,000.

The above is an educated guess. Only Qidian, Wuxiaworld, Er Gen knows the actual numbers. But Qidian stated on Novelupdates and Reddit that it costs Wuxiaworld "millions" to license those 20 novels.

14. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is where you ran off after being self-contradictory for all intents and purposes.

You want to show love and loyalty that your second model works, and therefore Qidian should adopt it.

I'll just say "NO". Its not sustainable, and it doesn't work.

In fact, from the view of customers, having shoved down with a choice is no better than being forced to pick either pay with your wallet, or pay with another wallet. Either way, you are forced to pick a method of payment.

Hiding behind a paywall and then offering a farce called "Early Access" is still, essentially a paywall.
    As a matter of fact, as a paying customer, assuming all users actually pay the same amount, the early access model only benefits the Qidian by milking out the money in a small pool, then to collect money in a sustainable manner (scale of economics, to be precise) which only ensures one end; that the authors' creativity will be bound and directed by these groups of "pseudo-elites", "pseudo-priviledged", and no longer becomes a work that an author can truly work on due to fear of "losing the moneypot".

A simple, charge all (by ads or by cents, whatever) ensures every reader is on a leveling field as a "reader" and a "customer" first, without compromising extra privileges should more tiers be introduced. This is because the writer can write knowingly that there's nobody in an "elite" group to dictate with a "moneypot" tactic.

And the idea that "early access models work", is downright stupid. The only thing that works, is fattening up the wallets of translators via artificial chokepoints since they know if the money's spread out like the older "subsidize this chapter" model, they will earn at least 5x more (up to infinity).

So to all readers, if you're voting by money, go and calculate yourself, and ask do you want to be a paying fanboy (literally, in the chinese saying, get sold off and still help the one who sold you to count their coins that they've made selling you off) or to be a wise customer and say "NO" to extortion tactics via "early access".

Blank9 likes this.
  15. paradoxlie

paradoxlie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's put spy in paywall so we can get free access

16. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I think no matter what Qidian does, the web novel translation market won't be as lucrative as they may believe.

17. JungleLucian

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that it is not very lucrative. It's a niche market.

But you can thrive in a niche market since hardcore fans are very loyal and will support it. Just don't expect to make a lot of profit.

The Chinese market will be where 99% of Qidian revenue and profits come from.

Having a pay wall will result in many readers turning to aggregators/piracy.
    Look at Manga and how it is dominated by aggregators/pirates.

Look at Yen Press and how the pay wall killed a lot of Japanese novels popularity.

jackateonetoo likes this.
  18. barashkafromro

barashkafromro Not well-known member.

Reading List:
    Link
    Paywall with high prices are only short term benefit. In the long term it will sink. Like recent bulletstorm remaster, they charged way more than most people would have paid and in the end they didn't get any more profit than if they charged 10 times less.

19. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, according to our TS, let masses pay in glorious USD! Did you see the other thread? No matter what model, his tactics leads to one result; he wants YOU to believe that ONLY EARLY ACCESS mode is the ONLY viable mode (which is, pretty much debunked and a piece of bullcrap if you ask me).

He's just turning into troll mode by saying "this company did this, this company did that, and people now hate them, look at wuxiaworld! everyone loves them! so we must be like them!"

if he ain't paid by Qidian or Wuxiaworld, I'm REALLY, REALLY surprised having such a rabid fan of artificial gating for a farce and still have the galls to declare "you don't pay a single cent" when already people are paying more than what they should have.

Raizeljr likes this.
  20. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Fuck paywalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.