Discussion The 1 star typical reviews.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Asf, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
    At least that random guy have nine reasons to give 1 star ... and maybe english not his native language or his english not very well (can read, can't write).

Famerton and Night like this.
  2. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, 5 years old can surprisingly write interesting things.
    Don't belittle them.
    I remember the Superheroes fanfic about the Founding Father that my 5 year old cousin writes for his homework.

Danis likes this.
  3. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't give reviews a damn. Read the first few chapters. If you like it, continue. If you don't, drop it.
    Simple.

4. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    what's wrong with getting a book? I'm triggered.:eek:

Danis and Justcallmejust like this.
  5. Skuzze

Skuzze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might as well be either an up vote or a down vote with the way how people vote.

A lot of novels with many 5 star votes usually don't deserve it.

Mlaser likes this.
  6. Amplify

Amplify Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some novels are hidden gems that start out slow, you would be missing out on those.
    Some have a great start that draws you in, but after X number of chapters they turn to shit.

In both cases, an informative review would warn you of those situations.

Ruyi and Justcallmejust like this.
  7. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    I just write what I felt at the time.

8. Blank9

Blank9 Interdimensional Traveller

Reading List:
    Link
    Well people have their own preferences. Some might not like the progression of story or character or world building they hoped. Some might not like some disturbing things in novel. While some also give 1 star randomly.
    In my case , if the novel is so bad i want to puke , i simply ignore it .

9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny thing is some people will rate a novel even though they only have the prologue or around 1 to 3 chapters, I see a lot of those things

10. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    reasons for 1 stars desu~
    1 bias desu~
    2 notice me mod senpai desu~
    3 I see **** tag this definitely a generic shit desu~
    4 LACK OF LOLIES.... desu

do note that these are all my opinions except the last one desu~

11. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    I find those 9 points you mention highly informative and enough for me to decide if I should read the story or not. I have ZERO interest reading an expose of why its a good VS bad story.

Since these points are obvious to those who have read a couple of different of novels here on NU I can only assume that those that don't find the reviews informative are totally new readers. They most likely find the review system useless and instead focus on most read stories. After reading a couple of those the review system become more relevant.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Cancel likes this.
  12. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    im so sad reader/Leacher these day is so selfish they rate the novel 1 star because they dont like it and their reason is so .............try to think little you read/enjoy other people sweet and time atleast give Translator what they deserved !!!

13. NIlsy

NIlsy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally id suggest you ignore bottom score and max score reviews they are obviously not taking the grades seriously and are exaggerating.

I just suspect alot of users just dont understand basic 1+1 logic or else they have no interest in playing by the rules they are intentionally trying to make their viewpoint of good-bad count for more by using max and bottom grades.

Now it might be some of these im not sure what to call them "intentionally fake reviewers" might take the description of why in the review seriously but i doubt it.

Some sites like IMDB have systems that put max grade and bottom grade in special calculation and to some degree just ignore a large portion of them, not ignore exactly but some type of hyper advanced mathematical formula u need years of college to understand.

14. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I havent even rated 1star yet since i joined NU.
    As long as i have enjoyed the novel and the TL is readable in a sense which is better than google translate then, i mostly rate around 3~5 stars. Mostly depending on how the TL do his/her job with the translation. 3 if bad and 5 if my brain doesnt hurt.
    We all have different POV's on certain things especially the novels but i guess its harsh to even give 1star.

15. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Always appreciate people who just tldr things. Thanks.

Zaart likes this.
  16. sidiusn

sidiusn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i never trust or read reviews... since it is other people's opinion, and like 99% of the time you wont have the same opinion as them. so i think its better to read a few chaps and see what you think yourself

Havisu likes this.
  17. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I also hate those kind of reviews, so i will ignore them, and read the good review first, or jump straight away into the novel, if the novel is not as bad as what non-specific reviews said, then i will justify those idiotic review, in a more specific manners. I will detail down the list why this or that, in a spoiler fields, so that no one will be spoiled unless they are ready for it.

Please, we read novels, arent we? Why cant we make something as simple as a good review?
    Is it too hard for you? Or is it too bothersome because the novel makes your heart boils? Then dont do it, simple.
    Good review doesnt have to be all praise to the novel, it simply means that the review states the reason of why it is rated as such, in a more detailed way, it could even be a criticism, as long its reasons are detailed.

This is a good thread, i wish @Tony pinned this for a week so that bad reviewers would be more educated in doing review

Asf likes this.
  18. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read the reviews before I read a novel. there are a lot of people with different perspectives and points of view so I don't expect everyone to like the same thing. one might find a novel disappointing while others find it enjoyable.also,expectations are ruined so I only read it when I already caught up with the latest chapter.

I don't rate novels with 1, I just rate the novels that I like and if I don't like a novel I just drop it. might try to read it again in the future but who knows.

19. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that a review should be informative. That's their purpose. Just complaining that it sucks but not saying why that is; That's just complaining. And while I suppose you can say those 3 word lines are saying why, they definitely aren't informative.

Havisu likes this.
  20. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I have given a story a 1 or 2 star rating before and not felt the need to even bother with a review.

glad i did so or you would be complaining about me here and not some1 else.

quite frankly, If i find a story "ok" to read, in that while there's a story it's not very memorable at all, then it gets about a 3*, and for every major failing from that standard it goes down.

the scale is 1-5 for a reason, and pitying a story by giving it a 3* as your lowest boundary is pointless and not helpful at all, you might aswell have just not rated it at all.

I also don't "split" the rating between the "author" and the "story". the rating is there for the story, don't try to find excuses to raise its rating just because it's written by an author you like, the author won't care, this is just localised translations and not where they post their story for tickets or ratings.

I am fully aware that just because another piece from the same author is good, doesn't mean the new story I am reading will be the same. Hell some people don't even look to see what order the author wrote the stories in then complain that "this story isn't as good as xyz" despite the fact that story they are complaining about was written much earlier than xyz and was the result of less experience and more experimenting.

Authors refine their art as they go along, but not every story plot is gold some are just awful stories that make no sense and I WILL give them a crap rating if I think the story makes almost no sense at all within the bounds it suggested.

and yes unfortunately not everyone writes in depth reviews that illuminate us from the darkness and shows us the folly of our ways, just ignore them and get over yourself. It may not be the best review, certainly, but they felt like they should make their view known all the same, besides if you really want details there are plenty more reviews that are willing to go into details, so stop lingering on the short ones and look for the more detailed ones yourself. if the story has few reviews and none are in depth? then write it yourself.

honestly, I don't think the people who write those short 1 liner reviews will even bother to see a thread like this in the forums. I know I spent a year on the NU site and never once touched the NUF until recently. so you won't achieve anything by complaining about them here either :S

want an example? fine. Emperors domination. gets tons of great high ratings and a bunch of reviews saying why its soooo amazing. to me? it's shit, I gave it 2 stars because the story pulls the same crap over and over where the MC doesn't need to do anything to avoid their crisis, just pull out another OP weapon or remember another OP skill. and the problem? it does this in repeated cycles without any character growth at all for hundreds of chapters. THAT my friend is why reviews like those the original poster mentioned happened. sometimes a person just feels that they need not be any more detailed because the flaws in a story are just that obvious.

Mlaser and raysha18 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.