Question Does China have something like NU ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ilisle, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    I have thought.
    If we have NU, would China, and other Asian countries have something similar?
    If so, which sites do they use? Which foreign novels are popular for them?

Edit: As it seems alot of people got me wrong,
    I was asking, if China or other countries have translation novel sites. From english to chinese. From Korean to chinese
    From (foreign language) to mandarin.
    or whatever

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    runsing likes this.
  2. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian

Edit: Qidian is more like rrl, however I don't think there is any equal to nu as the webnovel genre in for English novels is large enough to get translated yet, if there was a nu like site it'd most likely host korean or Japanese novels in Chinese or something similar.

3. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    They should. And if they didn't, NU has been around time enought to get copied ;)

In fact, Novel Updates is a novel version homage to Manga-Updates, which is in turn the still thriving manga offshoot of the now defunct Baka-Updates, an anime release index.

I don't know what sites are those, though, since to reach them you have to look up the correct Google search or get forwarded by someone who knows about them, same as with the english-speaker variants.

Chiiiiiiiii likes this.
  4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    They wouldn't really need it I think.

JP. Syosetsu is entirely free and you can bookmark novels for updates.
    KR. Munpia has some free chapters, and I believe you can do something similar for the novels.
    CN. Qidian is somewhat similar like Munpia but it has a lot of pirate sites stealing it's business.

Mind you, those are all for their own nations / people who speak those languages.
    NU is about helping the community easily find TRANSLATED versions of those novels.

HoneyKiss likes this.
  5. Deleted member 43009

Deleted member 43009 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Lord Meh Meh

Lord Meh Meh Cutie Kebob☯Bite Me $100,000 Nuf for a taste

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they do read translated novels like Twilight. Don't know what website though

7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Syosetsu, as well as other free WN hosting sites, does not count since it's a novel hosting site and not a translation release feed list.
    If you are likening Munpia and Qidian to Syosetsu, then they are also out for the same reasons.

What Ilisle is asking about is a site that lists the releases of translated chapters, i.e. not the chinese site where ISSTH is being posted to, but a site that tells you when chinese fan translations of, let's say, Highschool DxD or Tate no Yuusha are out and where. And those releases exists as more than half of the non-MTLed english translations we get come from chinese translations.

qwertzuiop, GamingIce, zeus and 2 others like this.
  8. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    exactly what Kemm said

9. TH3unknown

TH3unknown Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian is a publishing sites and they host novels there, NU does not host novels just provides links to websites sites that do

Chiiiiiiiii and xalienxgamerx like this.
  10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates has the place it does because of translation projects. Unlike the east, we don't really have many web novels or similar things. At best, there might be something similar for translations between chinese and japanese.. maybe....

11. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian is not like Novel Updates.
    It's just one of the largest publishers of Chinese webnovels, along with other sites like 17k and Zongheng.
    Think of it somewhat like Wuxiaworld, while the other publishers are like Gravitytales, Volarenovels, etc...

I don't know if Chinese netizens have something like NU to keep track of the webnovels they're reading from all the different publishers.

12. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    it seems like something is wrong with your understanding.
    they (CN,) are the main owner of the novels that NU have. what NU got are the translated versions, and TLs got it from their (CN) sites that got made up of their own respective language. so now tell me what else site would they use, only difference would be NU isn't charging us for the novels, since it doesn't stores the books within its space.

13. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm yeah there have a lot of japanese novel translated in chinese. But the last time that i visited them it was already 2 years ago. I remember it was a bit similar to spcnet, many translated chapters are in forums.

14. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is like bakatuski but more simple and cleaner.
    Plus it's all Asian novels, not just Japanese.

15. GamingIce

GamingIce 『Holder of the Ring of Promise』『RPG Nerd』

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't know why so many people only read the title before taking their time replying...
    Kemm explains it well for you people, and next time, maybe think a little, or actually read the first post before replying.

xalienxgamerx, runsing and Raobihr like this.
  16. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    NU IS STILL FUNCTIONAL IN ASIA Sorryforthecapsimtypingwithonefinger not sure bout China

17. DiamondDarkStar

DiamondDarkStar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol wat do u not get it means like if china want to read english published novels for example the eragon series, it would need to b translated soooo read the question its not just about novels for china japan and korea, but about our novels being foreign to them

18. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking at your edit, it is obvious that you don't understand what is NU. NU does not translate novels. It only hosts the links to the websites that translate them. It's a directory.

As for any similar sites, none that I know of to be originated from China.

19. godofabc

godofabc Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They do have, but it's not a central site like NU.

It's cluttered around the baidu tieba forums.

Example would be the light novel jp-cn translations there, the translators just post a new forum post (Ch 1- xx) and so on. Eventually, posts were being tidied in a pinned thread and linked towards it for all readers to see. This way, it would be a contributed tl effort; anyone can tl, anyone can contribute, anyone can read for free.

Here's a pictorial example of my account - I bookmarked a series of webnovels, as you can see.

[​IMG]
    as you can see, there's a distinct "only sense online" there, 金文魔工 refers to that novel with the glasses dude who uhh, got reincarnated to another world along with his classmates, where his special ability was to write out characters and having magic appearing from it. I don't read the english version of it, hence I'm not sure if it exists in NU. (There's a legendary translator in that subforum)

edit edit: I forgot about this site -smacks head-

https://www.lightnovel.cn/forum.php

repository of anything jp light novel related, you can often see many stuff that were being translated there which wasn't present in english at all.

Ilisle likes this.
  20. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translated WNs/LNs are not very popular in China,because it is more risk.Original novels are better for making money.
    An important event completely stopped them from hosting translations:
    The unauthorized website "轻之国度" which hosting a lot of translated Japanese LN has been closed down in Nov.2015 and involved in serious law suit,as a consequence of Tianwen Kadokawa reporting infringement to the police. Four webmasters were arrested as suspects.Only the forum alived.This is the news report.
    After that, all the websites were frightened and keep a distance with JP LN.
    So, there isn't website for translated novels like NU in China.
    English novels were generally translated and published by traditional press.

Ilisle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.