Question about the hate for OP protagonists

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mortifer, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortifer

Mortifer Harbinger of Death - One who transcends Life

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does people hate OP MCs? i personally prefer an MC that is ridiculously overpowered so i stay away from those stories with weak main characters, that is why i'm curious about why some people would go out of their way to read stories with an OP mc when they don't like this kind of stuff and they end it with a low rating or a rant .. i mean everyone has preferences which is why tags and genres were created .. so why would people go out of their way to read something they clearly hate and complain about it?

runsing, keklel, soulji_og and 7 others like this.
  2. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are stupid. This certainly is a law. Thus, nothing can be done.

runsing likes this.
  3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    A well-written OP MC is great. A poorly-written OP MC (MGA and ATG >.>) is BS

Leilacus, Blique, Raobihr and 3 others like this.
  4. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    You are saying that but you probably do the same with some other stuff. Everyone does that, yes, me included. Have you never read a story in RRL and hated some plot twist so you rated it 1/5 or something? Because I am pretty sure anyone who read 30-40 novels on RRL would have done that shit at least once.

Gitami, keklel and aattss like this.
  5. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I love them very much. So much that I hardly read those where MC is not OP

6. Ogami-kun

Ogami-kun 『Blue Shadow ensnaring demons』『FA sect disciple』

Reading List:
    Link
    few are the stories with OP mc and a good story, usually the mc is powerful enough enough to destroy the world with a fart so the story is short

kenar likes this.
  7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate OP protagonists only if there is no OP antagonist.If people didnt like OP protagonist,OPM and Super man wouldnt be popular~~

keklel and RR Vocaloid like this.
  8. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats because most OP characters are not handled properly. Like in some CN novels, you got an OP mc plus indestructible plot armor x arrogance. Or how bout some JP LP OP mc with beta personality.

9. Mortifer

Reading List:
    Link
    does those count? i mean the reason why i mentioned tags and genres is because the situation here is they read the story completely knowing that the mc is gonna turn OP then complained about it .. unless the person just reads everything without checking the synopsis tags and genres . that's just stupid ..

10. Helium

Helium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In addition [to what chencking said], there are also nuances of OP-ness. An MC with an Ability he has to work around to be successful is different from One Punch Man levels of overpoweredness.
    And while the latter can only be interesting and funny for comedic purposes and slight criticism to stereotypical stories, the former can make you engaged in the story, you think about what the MC might have to do in order to get out of the current situation etc. That is not always obvious from the tags.
    Reading the same story of a character that gets into a sticky situation, then suddenly powers up or "unexpectedly" finds an item, then reverses the situation is boring and just not interesting and therefore not worthy of a good rating, whereas someone who actually works around his abilities to do the same thing is much more entertaining.

CockyBrat likes this.
  11. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the real issue is op without reason like how most wuxia/xinxia mcs get beaten to death and then power up cuz mc powers/plot armour like its awesome when they really are OP but like surviving and killing someone stronger just cuz mc is meh

12. Mortifer

Reading List:
    Link
    hey i like those poorly written OP stories as long as the mc wasn't nerfed lol anyways i agree that there are poorly written stories with op mc (i like em anyway) but i'm talking about those who complain about the OPness itself .. not the way it was handled ..

13. congvthc

congvthc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    story of op mc is the same as weak mc, same structure(retarded mc from japan, or hypocrites mc from korean/chiense), same plot armor, etc
    have op mc doesnt mean the story is good or bad, most people (assume they are like me) which read to see if the novel is the same as other typical op mc novel(trash) or is actually a good novel, thats where the complains are from, same can be say weak mc novels

CockyBrat, Gitami, vlue and 2 others like this.
  14. Neydomus

Neydomus Non-Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its jealousy. as simple as that.

runsing likes this.
  15. heads-or-tails

heads-or-tails Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the person ends up as a animal that is constantly twisting words and wasting chapter with overly complicated "plots" and performances just to end up killing the opposition it is bullshit that can´t be read, and meant to be thrown into the abyss. Same thing with the laidback op, I am going to use a fucking complicated, and most probably lost or forgotten, magic array/formation/technique to cook myself some rice and heat the bath (because i fucking love baths, and can´t live without them because that is how my country is) agains bullshit, thrown into the abyss

runsing likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them if there well-written like main character hides his strength. Most of them are relly poorly writtem and quite bland

Chance likes this.
  17. Mr. B

Mr. B Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess people just got tired of OP protagonists since they're practically the norm/it's everywhere now. I mean as long as you don't read it expecting a story where the protag gradually gets stronger like Tate no Yuusha it'll be fine.

On a side note, if peeps are indeed tired of OP MC but don't like overly weak/wussy MCs I recommend only sense online, it's a pretty cute slice of life/VRMMO novel focused on the activities of a crafter class player that's between the two extremes.

18. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Some hate, some love, the usual, get used to it

kenar and Rreelentless like this.
  19. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whether mc is op or not hardly counts for me since mc will eventually become strong . If plot is good or is well written then I will read that novel. Ex swallowed star has op mc but recent volumes are shit or may be it was because of reduction of transaltion quality. Now it doesn't feel like IET work anymore.

20. Mortifer

Reading List:
    Link
    my idea of OP is like in Dex/clairs adventure because OP for me is Overpowered so the MCs power should be over the top, over the limit and not the weak to strong kind of op where he gets stronger faster than his pears and going over his rank .. and that is what i am referring to btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.