Request Addblocker anti-reading

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raphael, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing will happen to you from ads...

2. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have an antivirus, in fact i tried almost all of the free ones, and even bought yearly subscriptions a couple of times to the paid ones, but as good as they are, having an adblocker is still necessary to safely surf the web nowadays.
    And reporting is fine and all, but that happens AFTER i got a malware, not before. I don't want to test it for them :S

3. Dosudro

Dosudro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't tell if you're trolling or serious and I am concerned. On one hand, shame on you. On the other, please seek counseling from IT professionals, because ads are quite possibly the number one attack vector for malware.

~~Dos

xalienxgamerx likes this.
  4. Vorpal

Vorpal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's your fault for being a fucking idiot and downloading viruses off ads

Raobihr likes this.
  5. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    The real problem is when the ads prevent you from reading on the site. I often have problems with wuxiaworld.

6. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have no problem with ads but the video ads are annoying and then there seems to be redirects on sites like wuxiaworld and gravity tales no matter if I clear cache& cookies or use other devices. To be honest I find it unacceptable so I disable Java script and sites that block the text if Java is disabled are just a price I pay for extra security. If they want money at the sacrifice of the readers security then it doesn't bother me at all to not provide revenue through viewing ads. Now I realize it isn't their fault for the most part but that doesn't matter as much as the health and security of my phone/computer/tablet.

Now that many sites are going from grey area to legal translators I'm hoping they can remedy the situation. Until then though I'll do what I can to enjoy the novels without taking unnecessary risks as I'm no Xianxia mc.

7. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I expected you, how 'bout not clicking the ads? I'm not having any pop ups from translations sites either.

8. Dosudro

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what you mean by "expected you". I will point out that numerous translators sites appear to have redirect ads that forcibly lead you to an attack page. If you read a lot on mobile, you'll see it often. I have certain novels that I only read on PC now because of having an adblocker to prevent those ads from redirecting me.

Simply "not clicking" on ads is not good enough. Once they load, they'll initiate their internal countdown and perform whatever code is programmed into them. Frequently enough, you'll get stuck in a redirect loop because your back button will simply retrigger the redirect ad.

TLDR:

Use adblockers, but donate to translators to thank them for their efforts. Donations are better than ad revenue anyway.

~~Dos

Fosk91 and xalienxgamerx like this.
  9. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, if you have adblock plus on chrome it counts the number of ads it has blocked. Since the beginning of January the counter has gotten up to 60k, and that's with most of the sites i usually visit whitelisted (like youtube, wuxiaworld, etc).
    And what i was talking about was mainly about my family and friends, who don't really know how to use computers and only surf the web with it. For the average user an adblocker is basically mandatory, and that's the fault of the people who stand to gain the most from them (what with sites bloated with 10-20 ads a page).
    And even if i were a fucking idiot who downloads viruses off ads, the simple possibility of it happening with a simple misplaced click is reason enough to use an adblocker, for me it equals having a second antivirus: you don't really need it if you know how to use a pc, but there's no reason not to.
    And redirects are enough of a pain in the ass even without any viruses attached to them

xalienxgamerx and Dosudro like this.
  10. ZhaWarudo

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not talking about mobile but I didn't have problems with it either, I know you don't need to click some of them to work but still I didn't have any problems disabling adblock on gravity tales wuxia world, volare, translation nations... I expected you because I didn't clarify like now, so a smarty pants had to show up.

Dosudro likes this.
  11. Dosudro

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take "smartypants" as a compliment. Yes, I realize that not all translators are currently subscribed to ad partners that fail to fully vet their ads. Honestly though, just about everyone would prefer donations, either directly or through Patreon, over having to rely on ad revenue. Especially with the rise of adblockers. People get desperate. They sign up for ad partners that take advantage of that desperation. They break up chapters into three pieces to artificially inflate their traffic and ad-views.

It's an awful situation. Most people are leeches. I was for years. Translators die off from not having time because they have jobs, or worse, some little turd rips their translations and breaks them into pieces in an attempt to reap ad revenue.

My thing is this, if you appreciate someone's hard work, drop them a donation. Continue using an adblocker. it's really that easy.

~~Dos

ZhaWarudo likes this.