Recommendations Unique novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Jatron, Mar 8, 2016.

1. SaberWolf

SaberWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A webtoon with a slightly dense but high EQ (Emotional intelligence) female MC; dark, betrayal, romance, war, an entire magic world complete with underlying mechanics. One which can not only be skimmed through for a great story, but also observed in-depth for an incredible backstory. Lots of foreshadowing too, if you where and what to look out for. Holds the record of having one of the most active discussions on Batoto (Note 1000 pages of posts in the ongoing Season 2 thread!).

I present to you:
    Kubera.
    Kubera Wiki.
    Batoto Discussion.

An example of awesome: In Season 2, a person's smile can creep the heck out of you, simply because it depicts that person's the Joker level deteriorating mind, the deer-in-the-headlight moment of what will happen to the MC now??? and a 'No, what are you going to do? Why are you doing this?, all through a single smile. (And it took the entirety of season 1 and 2 to get to that point)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    gill likes this.
  2. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading Mei Gongqing and while it was fine... it was also kinda slow. Not the usual super female MC, which should have made it better...? It just seemed like she had too many enemies at too early a story... and nothing to help her along...

Just a female MC story I felt didn't really strike my fancy...

4. gill

gill Kairoaddict Disease Acquired

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a surprise to see another Kubera fans here :D
    sadly i stopped read it when naver decided to officially take the english translation, and then batoto took down their english trans from their site, i know at that time that tierra still translating but not uploaded to batoto, if remember right i stopped reading right at the end of S2

Yeah this manga is great , in a sense , i got the same feeling when i read Kumoko but more in depth in plot and story.

5. Deep

Deep NO TITLE

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Jr194

Jr194 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. DJK13

DJK13 [NUF's DJ][Ruler of Nightmares] [Keeper of Dreams]

Reading List:
    Link
    What kinds of uniqueness are you looking for?
    If you are looking for darkness, I suggest checking out Mark Lawrence's books: The Broken Empire Trilogy.
    If you are looking for magic-fantasy: Mother of Learning (I know someone mentioned it earlier, but they probably didn't mention it is a time-loop story with a MC who wants to get stronger to survive,but I've never read a story like that).
    Are you looking for one-offs: A Confusion of Princes (by Garth Nix, loved it, interesting futuristic sci-fi story).
    Or are you looking for series: Mistborn series (by Brandon Sanderson, depending on part of series, can be middle-ages style, steampunk-ish in Book 4, though haven't read past that, also people getting abilities temporarily from consuming certain metals including attraction/repulsion from metals, speed, strength, healing and even seeing the future several seconds which useful in a fight).
    I personally also enjoyed Douglas Hulick's books as well, though last check only had 2 books in the series out, with no deadline on next one...

8. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Boku no pico

9. DJK13

DJK13 [NUF's DJ][Ruler of Nightmares] [Keeper of Dreams]

Reading List:
    Link
    ....why didn't you include Higurashi?
    Or better yet Puni Puni Poemi....
    Actually, look up World Conquest Zvezda Plot... better than all of these....

10. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
  11. MikeSeti

MikeSeti Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Homonculus (Manga)

12. SaberWolf

SaberWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

The fan translations are still ongoing. The link I gave redirects to a batoto page where they have links of all of the earlier chapters, as well as the current ones. Though now they use overlays instead.

Note: Overlays are where, with the help of a browser addon (also available, with instructions on the same Kubera link) one can access the official naver site, but instead of Korean, we see English instead. Prepared by a dedicated crew.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  13. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, someone else get caught by the Qualia mindfuck.

So, how do you feels?

14. Jatron

Jatron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll try the first one but the rest didn't catch my interest. Stunning Edge was the most promising but after 10-ish chapters the characters were too one dimensional and cliche. The only decent one was the adventurer guy.