Japanese 令嬢鑑定士と画廊の悪魔

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by WhiteWolf42, May 19, 2017.

1. WhiteWolf42

WhiteWolf42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: 令嬢鑑定士と画廊の悪魔
    Raw Link: I can provide the raws, just ask (2 LNs)
    NU Link: Doesn't exist
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: I bought this novel series because a friend highly recommended it to me. But since I hardly know japanese, I'm still unable to read it. But I got told, that the story is a bit similar to the manga 'Kainushi wa Akuma', which I greatly enjoyed. Well, and I'm an art lover...
    Description:

Let us make a contract. Let me keep you-- A young lady and the devil, their secret relationship is...

"Let us make a contract. Let me keep you." "I will serve you as if I love you, my lady." Countess Liz, a lover of paintings, is told "Give yourself to me" by John, the temporary art gallery manager employed by her uncle. However, this was not affection or love, but because he wanted Liz's "Holy Eyes" which could see demons hiding in the paintings. Actually, Liz, who was pressed into a contract by the devil John, answered-- that she wanted to keep a devil!?

A love fantasy surrounding a painting of an unusual young lady and a verbally abusive devil!

Here are the raws of the first chapter:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/lptj274izvvpz3b/令嬢鑑定士と画廊の悪魔_Teaser_Raws.zip
    Important Note: I won't share my raws anymore with people, who just wants to read the novel for free. For this purpose I upload the raws of the teaser. If someone is getting seriously interesting in translating this novel, then I will share the complete raws with him/her. For someone who just wants to read it, please understand if I say: "Please buy the raws yourself." With this you are also supporting the author and the artist.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    ... I couldn't read the pickup request lol.... Remember, there are two dark themes..

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohoho I think I've seen similar artworks before. Who's the illustrator?

4. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't see shit.

5. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the illustrator is 宵マチ. But I'm not sure.

6. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New
    Name: 令嬢鑑定士と画廊の悪魔
    Raw Link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/まとめ買い-令嬢鑑定...F8&qid=1495189522&sr=8-3&keywords=令嬢鑑定士と画廊の悪魔 (2 LNs)
    NU Link: Doesn't exist
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: I bought this novel series because a friend highly recommended it to me. But since I hardly know japanese, I'm still unable to read it. But I got told, that the story is a bit similar to the manga 'Kainushi wa Akuma', which I greatly enjoyed. Well, and I'm an art lover...
    Description:
    easy right?

7. Ilinox

Ilinox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it's 宵マチ (Yoi Machi?) and I believe their pixiv is www pixiv net/member.php?id=768725.

I skimmed through this and I'm very interested in picking this up, but I won't be able to get around to it until like 3-4 months later so if anyone else is interested in the meantime please feel free to go ahead and take it.

Premise is pretty much like the summary. John Smith, the male lead, made a contract with someone on earth but they got killed by another demon and so he's kinda trapped and roaming on earth. He's trying to find the demon who killed his contractor and kill it back. So the heroine is useful to him because, while he can see if a painting is abnormal, she can see if a demon is hiding there (just because there's a hiding spot doesn't necessarily mean there's a demon there; much like a house with windows + doors but not knowing if anyone resides in it). She wants to use him too because she doesn't want to get married off and being with him means traveling around looking at paintings.

Heroine is a delight (but then again I'm a fan of unusual heroines); she's been sickly since she's young, possibly the price she pays for having "Holy Eyes", and so she's a shut-in who developed a passion for paintings. She analyzes them though she does want to paint one day. But her conversational skills has become a bit... unique.

There's this hilarious scene where she's meeting her fiance at a family lunch (her mother is trying to marry her off) and her fiance flirts with her by saying something like "Would you please grant me the honor of reflecting me in those eyes of yours?" and she goes on for an entire page. AN ENTIRE PAGE. about the necessities of blinking to keep your eyes moist, prevent objects from falling into your eyes, how it's said that men and women blink at different rates, and how at most they could only probably stare at each other for one minute. It's great.

Male lead gives me Sebastian from Kuroshitsuji vibes LOL. He's as weird as her in terms of conversational skills and talks like you're supposed to already know what he's talking about. I was a bit worried the verbally abusive part would be him being like "You're a pathetic human, etc etc" but he doesn't insult her like that. He's just calls things out as he sees them which can be bluntly mean. He comes off more as not really understanding human customs but willing to go along with them. For example, he just called Liz "you" until her uncle was like "Show some more respect!" and then he switches to "Miss".

I believe it's a slow burn because there wasn't anything overt at the end of the first volume but you can really feel the connection they have between them with their passion about art and their witty banter (my favorite tbh when they have inside jokes).

Here's a teaser for everyone of the contract making scene which happens around 1/3 to 1/2 of the first volume:

Context: John is going to use Liz to check out all the paintings in her uncle's gallery and then devour/kill her. Liz doesn't want to die and instead gambles that he should keep her alive for her eyes. He's like "Hmm" because owning a human (like a pet) requires time and labor. So then she's like "Then I'll own you!".

"Miss, to own a demon requires great sacrifice. Are you prepared? Once you accept a demon, that shadow will follow you for the rest of your life. It's true I want your eyes but that killing you and ripping your eyes out means they would lose their effectiveness immediately... But, miss, I believe dying here would be a blessing to you."

"Being killed and having their eyes stolen isn't a blessing to humans. It's a tragedy."

"I can devour you painlessly right now, or we can make a contract and I will devour you painfully at the end of your life. Which one will you choose?"

"If I say neither?"

"Something much more gruesome will happen."

"Let's make a contract then. I will own you. But, until I die, no matter what happens, you will be on my side. If I say something is white then it's white. If I say it's a clear day then it's a clear day, even if it's raining. You won't accept anyone else. I don't need a weak demon, you will always be strong, clever, and protect me with your life."

He starts to smile, pleased, like the expression he always has when looking at paintings.

"You won't embarrass me, you won't let me starve, you won't hurt me, you won't make me sad, and you'll always prioritize me. You won't look away."

"Understood. I will serve you as if I loved you, my lady."

Then he starts to trace her jaw with his fingers and is like "Do you want me to pamper you too?" but she shakes her head, throwing off his hand, and is like "Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm the owner so pampering and spoiling is natural. From me, that is." and then SHE'S the one who caresses his jaw.

Unfortunately, I think this would be really hard on a MTL. There's a lot of description in this book and the two leads talk a lot about paintings because the entire story revolves around her seeing demon hiding spots in these paintings. So, painting analysis and metaphors everywhere.

LaDyViL likes this.
  8. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! This really helps a lot. The story also sounds really interesting. I soo want to read it now~.

9. earp

earp villainess trash reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    this reminds me of kuroshitsuji. demons and contracts...

10. WhiteWolf42

Reading List:
    Link
    I uploaded the raws of the first chapter if someone is interested.

11. Laurence02

Laurence02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care if this is in 3-4 months. This sounds very interesting, and I encourage you to pick this one up when you have time.

12. Kracko

Kracko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting for it...

13. Claire Lilly

Claire Lilly ~Fairy of the Moon Blossom~

Reading List:
    Link
    I also really liked 'Kainushi wa Akuma'. If this is similar it has already a huge plus point from my point of view. I will see to it, that I find a raws sample for any interested translator. If it turns out promising I'm willing to provide the raws.

14. Ilinox

Ilinox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like no one has picked this up yet, so I'll be taking it on. I might release the prologue some time in January but then I plan to stock up on chapters before releasing them.

On a side note, if anyone would be interested, I wouldn't mind a transcriber helper. It'd speed up my translations greatly when I don't have to spend time typing (or pulling) the text before translating it. I have the physical copies of the books, so unfortunately I can't provide the PDFs to anyone but the benefits of helping me would be getting access to the document I work from so you won't have to wait for any scheduled releases and, if you're in the middle of learning Japanese, I could answer questions about grammar constructions or anything in the novel, etc.

Also, after checking out a few chapters of Kainushi wa Akuma, I'd say that this novel is closer to Black Butler than Kainushi.