Chinese Reactions to Novelupdates/Wuxiaworld/Reddit Reviews

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Action, May 21, 2017.

?

Would you want a Chinese Reactions part II?

1. Hell to the yes

2. Meh

3. No, no I'd rather not. Please. No. No more.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I'll bite.

I say Lugia is based off of the Chinese mythological beast Kun Peng. I challenge you to go find a Korean or Japanese equivalent that is a better match than Kun Peng. You can do the same for Moltres and the Vermilion Bird or Ho-oh and the Chinese phoenix. I'll wait.

Wujigege, Random, DorbenRS and 2 others like this.
  2. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PART VIII OF X

@Scarecrow Here you go

OP: Next up is I'm Really a Superstar

- there's even this [​IMG]
    - filler as hell
    - Goddamn, they even translate a novel with that much filler. Are they not afraid of being hated?
    - Damn
    - MC is too wretched, I can't handle it
    @Shuchou
    Shuchou
    Can't really stop from laughing while reading this.

- this book is too entrenched in Chinese culture. Do they even get what the MC is up to?
    - based at the username, it seems like it's Chinese person
    @optjam
    optjam
    Everyone should read this. Great great great novel so far. I'm laughing so hard. No martial arts or anything yet. But it is so funny!! Definitely a must read. Get to it people!

- out of all the MCs I've seen, this MC is in the most need of an ass whooping
    @HunterGeorge
    HunterGeorge
    This is probably the best translated novel out there. Due to the fact it is modern day I really can relate to it and don't have to spend the time to figure out what giving face means. Adding to the attraction is the plot armour and the fact that the MC is a serial plagiarizer. Gives the novel a tongue in cheek feel to it. Thanks to the translator's keep it up guys and hopefully more and more translator's will be inspired to pick up novels like these, I would love it if a story like this came from english writers as well; though I feel I would be prejudiced against them but please do try! Thanks again and if you are reading this for a review, Just Read The Chapters. You will most probably laugh!

- they sure care about face

[note: find us a novel that doesn't mention face and we'll stop talking about it]
    @strike882000
    strike882000
    This is a very fun read. I've laughed through almost every chapter so far and I'm looking forward to more. This is definitely one of my favorites from now on.

- haha, wait till they get to the later chapters. That's when they'll understand the meaning of filler. It's enough to drive a person crazy
    BeelzebubVIIII
    This one is really awesome like the setting is pretty normal but the way its written is really good and hilarious sometimes it feels like BS but i dont feel that bad at all for people who doesnt know if they wanna try it or not id definitely say JUST DO IT!! well in summary its funny interesting and not like the usual stuff like xianxia

OP: I've had enough of these guys. They don't even punctuate their sentences, I'm suffering from all this ambiguity
    lord_ark
    Damn man, I seriously cant stop myself from praising the author and the translator. Its full of poems but what is f***ing hilarious is the audience reaction. You want some change from daily xianxia type novel then it is the best novel I will recommend. Go and read it and you will never regret reading it.

- I wonder how they translate those classical poems and the idioms

[note: they actually did an awesome job with the translations]
    Xenomyth
    This novel is gold. Though the event outcomes can mostly be predicted (since the MC is OP), I still can't get enough of it. This novel made me study literature and the art of cursing, and it never fails to make me laugh my ass off.
    It's sad to realize that in a few more chapters I will have to wait for the next chapter to be translated...

[note: OP mistranslated "laugh my ass off" as "laugh to the point where my butt hurts"]

- why would his butt hurt
    - because last night he got fucked in the ass by his gay friend
    - [​IMG]
    @Miss Ruby
    Miss Ruby
    I liked this novel because I was looking for something to occupy my mind. It has exceed my expectations. Although I get a bit frustrated at the main character, I still love him. I don't regret my choice to read and only wish there was more chapters.

- come read the raws [​IMG]
    @Lyase
    Lyase
    This is just xianxia hiding in a pretentious writing, antagonist gets mad at mc for and gets owned by him. The characters except for the mc are boring and one-dimensional.
    The people seeing how awesome he is, start to sucking mc's dick. (sounds familiar right? glorifying the mc like a typical xianxia novel)
    Repeating the cycle with different poems and situations. and you get Im really a superstar.
    The mc doesn't have his own ability he didn't create the poems or that ghost story, he literally plagiarizes from other works.If he is in a sticky situation, he will rely on his deus-ex machina lottery to solve the problem.

- this guy's criticisms are really on point
    - he really has ... seen the book for what it is
    - it's true, he really nailed it. When I first started reading, it was pretty good. Once I hit 1000 chapters, nothing changed and I really got sick of it. In the end, I dropped it. But who woulda thought that it would turn out to be so popular!

[note: On Qidian, IRAS is the third most shelved novel of all time. #1 is The Portal of Wonderland and #2 is A Will Eternal]

@AurumGold @Alpcake @Nyeko @kaiserluiz thread
    AurumGold
    Ok, for the longest time, I had always wondered why in most (if not all) novels, all other creatures tend to turn into humans after gaining higher degree of power/cultivation or just simply want to turn human, but there seems to be never an explaination that could justify it.
    The humans on those novels never go "Oh imma turn into a worm cuz I want to"... I mean I did not really see much reason to turning in something that will discomfort ones self. THEN I found it!
    World Defying Dan God (ch 287) - Spirit beasts could not speak, they could only use divine sense. The humans were the wisest of all living beings. After the final evolution of beasts, they could take a human form, just like Long Xueyi. She would rarely transform into dragon, and most of the time, she would be in her human form.
    I mean its not the best reason, but it is definitely an explaination why they turn human.
    Did you find other novels to explain why other creatures tend to turn human?

- isn't it because there are seven apertures of the human head, so cultivating is faster if you're human
    - OP go and translate this for them. According to Fantastic Creatures' Travelogue, once the most powerful being appears in a universe, all the other types of beings in the universe will take the powerful being's form as their end goal. So God, Ancestor Hongjun, these sorts of beings first appeared and determined the end goal. Not all creatures need to become human. They only need to get close to that form.

[note: I'm to lazy to explain who Hongjun is ... ]
    Alpcake
    So the mc can have romance with them without making it weird man on ? stuff

- If you fuck a goat, you'll be locked up. If you fuck a demigod, no one cares
    - the problem usually occurs when the species is an ant or a whale
    - you think no one fucks whales?
    Nyeko
    So that some day they can appropriately pet cats using their human hands.

- OP, have any of them translated Strange Life of a Cat? I feel like they'd like it
    - A lot of them are cat people, they'd probably like it

[note: It's at a 4.4 rating so yes, we love it]
    kaiserluiz
    Imagine how difficult it is to enter a city in the form of a 100 meter long 5 meter tall wolf

- the fuck is "100 meter long 5 meter tall" Is the wolf a goddamn sausage?
    - [​IMG]
    - sausage [​IMG]

OOO BOY NTR HERE WE GO (actually don't get too hyped up because I didn't translate that many and most of OPs posts got deleted anyways)
    @stillguess @iamgboy08 @OverlyFriendly
    stillguess
    most of the time, people tend to relate to the protagonists of the novels they read. I personally get really drawn into novels. So how is it possible to enjoy reading about your favourite character getting cuckoled?

- puh-lease, those sorts of books aren't made to be enjoyed
    - if you hate the MC then it's probably fine
    OP: I don't know why all my posts with the phrase "NTR" get deleted... so many are deleted sigh...

[note: I'm guessing the phrase "NTR" is probably censored. ]
    iamgboy08
    hahh~ i also dont understand why some people like it,. maybe i just have a weak heart,. i dont even know how to get over it after reading a novel which i didnt even know that it has a NTR tag,. hahh~

- Once I read this book called The Pure Dance, and after reading it I couldn't shake it off ... never touching NTR again

[note: book is untranslated]
    OverlyFriendly
    I don't mind NTR

- "don't mind" ... dang...
    @Araska Mada @Mahou-nii-sama @Scarecrow @Marvin thread
    Mahou-nii-sama
    when there's no comedy and it's just "too deep" for me to understand.

- that's called a textbook
    - you mean math textbook
    - you mean calculus textbook
    - you mean intermediate accounting textbook
    Scarecrow
    When it weights more than 60kg.

- If Starting from Zero was in physical form, it'd probably be more than 100kg

[note: Starting from Zero is infamous for being long as hell. I think it's like 21m chars, so like 6 times the length of Coiling Dragon. It's the butt of a lot of jokes.]
    Marvin
    Ntr story.... dats heavy

- [​IMG]
    =====================
    LINK TO PART I (Terror Infinity, Gate of Relevation, MISC, Tang Jia San Shao)
    LINK TO PART II (I Shall Seal the Heavens, Perfect World, Against the Gods, Wu Dong Qian Kun, Sovereign of the Three Realms, Horizon Bright Moon Sabre, Tales of Demons and Gods, Stellar Transformations)
    LINK TO PART III (Learning Chinese Forum, Law of the Devil, A Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality, Zhu Xian, Undefeated God of War, The King's Avatar, Swallowed Star)
    LINK TO PART IV (Transcending the Nine Heavens; The Nine Cauldrons; Reddit: Japanese v Chinese novels, When you read Chinese novels...do you?, Japanese Harem v Chinese Harem, How Would You Survive in the Xianxia or Wuxia world?)
    LINK TO PART V (Reddit: Modern humanity v a Xianxia world who would win?, What is xianxia and can a foreigner really write a genuine Xianxia novel?, why do most female characters in xianxias get a free pass?, MISC, Release that Witch, The Amber Sword, NUF: Your opinion on harem, Global Evolution)
    LINK TO PART VI (NUF: Which are the best Chinese xuanhuan novels?, How do cultivation sects earn their income?)
    LINK TO PART VII (NUF: Why does every sex scene start with ripping the clothes to shreds?, In a new world, how do you storm the gate? NEW Chinese novels because I'm losing interest; Cultivation Chat Group, NUF: Would you cultivate?)
    LINK TO PART VIII (I'm Really a Superstar; NUF: Why turn human?, Do you like NTR?, What is heavy or serious novel for you?)
    LINK TO PART IX (Warlock of the Magus World, Chronicles of Primordial Wars, Shrouding the Heavens, Conquest, World of Cultivation; NUF: The Chinese people are watching us!, Close Combat Mage)
    LINK TO PART X (NUF: Are xianxia authors mostly teenagers?, Moment you stop reading a novel because of climax; My Disciple Died Yet Again; NUF: Hui Tai Lang)
    LINK TO PART XI (The Great Ruler, Battle through the Heavens, MISC, Weibo meme)
    LINK TO PART XII (Scum Villain's Self-Saving System by @readerz )

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You really don't get what I am saying, do you? Please go back and read my posts once more. I am saying that they have similar mythological creatures, which is perfectly normal since they're so close to each other. Also, the concept of "countries" didn't exist back then, only kingdoms were around. I am just trying to point out that the chances for the mangaka to draw from Japanese sources is higher since they're already there in Japanese culture.

Vermilion Bird -> Known as Suzaku in Japan and Jujak in Korea. There's even a Vietnam version.
    Chinese Phoenix -> You realize that Ho-oh is literally what the Japanese call the phoenix, right?
    Baize -> Hakutaku

As for the Kun Peng, I am not that familiar with Japanese culture so I can't verify whether there's a similar creature.

Enken, Astaroth and Wand148 like this.
  4. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice reactions.....
    And thanks for doing this again.....

Still wonder why there is a Pokemon origins argument going on...here

5. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Which points are those? I don't see any problems with my points.The nine hand seals orginated from Taoism and was later passed onto Buddhism and Asceticism(Shugendo) in Japan. Other than Naruto, various mangas have made use of it as well. Chakra originated from Hinduism and so does the meridians etc. So, what's wrong with stating that the system used in Naruto was based on Indian culture? As for stating that Japan has similar mythical beasts and legends, it's true.

Enken likes this.
  6. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone claimed that mangakas were borrowing ideas from Chinese, while I merely pointed out that said ideas had already entered Japanese culture in the past. Ergo, they were influenced by ideas that had already existed within Japanese culture and not directly borrowing from the "source".

_Sleepylish_, Pandora Exa and Enken like this.
  7. Archaic pickle

Reading List:
    Link
    Shit everyone borrows stuff from everyone else mythology wise, why nitpick?
    How many times the "key of Solomon" has come up...or demons tropes get reused, dusted off used again.

Even Christmas is just a refurbished holiday

8. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    I just translated that first link through google translate:

Suzaku (Suzaku, peacock, shijaku, 拼音: zhūquè Tiuchua) is a Chinese legendary god animal (God bird), one of the four gods(four beasts, four elephants) and five beasts . In Fujian Province , red tiger (Sakiko) is replaced.

I translated the second link and got this:

Suzaku is an imaginary animal, one of the gods . It is a red phoenix that spreads out two wings. Therefore, it is often identified with the phoenix.

What does this show us? The Japanese Suzaku is literally just the name that Japanese people assigned the Chinese vermilion bird. As for the Korean Jujak, it was translated to Suzaku.

What does history show us?

"The culture of Japan has evolved greatly over the millennia, from the country's prehistoric Jōmon period, to its contemporary modern culture, which absorbs influences from Asia, Europe, and North America. Strong Chinese influences are still evident in traditional Japanese culture as China had historically been a regional powerhouse, which has resulted in Japan absorbing many elements of Chinese culture first through Korea, then later through direct cultural exchanges with China.The inhabitants of Japan experienced a long period of relative isolation from the outside world during the Tokugawa shogunate after Japanese missions to Imperial China, until the arrival of "The Black Ships" and the Meiji period."

The culture of Japan is so heavily based on China that it doesn't even make sense to argue about it. Hell, the Japanese language in its infancy was just the Chinese language (or a derivation thereof).

As for Korea, Korea was ruled by Japan from 1910 to 1945. It makes sense that Korean culture is heavily influenced by Japanese culture. This is also evident by the fact that Jujak is translated to Suzaku which is just the Japanese name for the Chinese Vermillion Bird. And as was said previously, Chinese culture first flowed to Japan through Korea. It was only afterwards that japan and China exchanged directly.

So for the Vermillion Bird, be it Japanese or Korean, it all points back to China (your sources agree)

As for the Phoenix, well I translated the link you sited:

Form
    According to Chapter X, the oldest chinese word dictionary in Chinese, which was established in the pre-Han dynasty in the 2nd century, the head is chicken, the nod is the bird, the neck is the serpent, the back is the turtle and the tail is the fish. Is black, white, red, blue, and yellow, with a height of about six meters [1] . " Sankai " and " Nanshan " are similar to chickens , In the chest, "Shin" in the back, "Shin" in the chest, and "Shin" in the belly . The snake , the tail is fish, the 顙 is , the 腮 is , thepattern is the dragon , the back is the tiger , the nod is the swallow , and the 喙 is the chicken . " Song Dynasty " In theeighteenth , the head is a serpent , the nod is a swallow , the back is a turtle , the belly is a crown , the neck is a crane , thechickens are chickens , In the same way, it is said to be the size of the peacock circle in the "Song Dynasty" volume No. 28. Also, in the Song Song of the Southern Song, 3.07m), the tail was similar to the carp, and the color was dark [2] .

Difference between days
    In modern China, in general, the head is Kinki, the body is Oshidori, the tail is Peacock, the foot is Crane, the beak is Oum-Ink, and the wing is Yan. In Japan, in general, there are four to five lengths, the front part is lynx, the rear part is deer, the neck is serpent, the back is turtle, the nod is swallow, the beak is chicken, and the tail is fish [3] It is also said that the feathers have a five- color pattern similar to a peacock , and the voice emits a five- tone sound .

I can't stop laughing. Even on the Japanese wikipidia page for the Phoenix that you linked, everything is described in terms of the Chinese! Need I argue further?

9. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Moltres -> vermilion bird? nah.
    what about articuno then? zapdos?
    I definitly agree with ho oh and lugia though
    checked out the kun peng and it matches with lugia so well.
    given that johto does have an chinese/asian theme.

10. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you even reading what I typed? You could've saved all that time copying and pasted the wall of text. I am not saying that they didn't originate from Chinese culture. I am pointing out that the same mythologicals creature are present within Japanese culture. Which I pointed out is more likely to be the source that the mangakas were drawing from. Go back and read my posts, that's faster than wasting your time copying stuff that I already agreed on. (y)

11. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fairly sure moltres is the vermilion bird[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    just because its a fire bird?
    Thats the only relation between them :\

Nom de Plume, eroxaz and asomeCokkies like this.
  13. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're the one who doesn't know what the argument was, one of the Chinese readers commented that Japanese culture was heavily influenced by Chinese culture. Someone on this forum disagreed and I stated some examples to prove that it was true. Then you butted in saying what exactly? That Japanese and Korean culture were or weren't heavily influenced by Chinese culture?

You see, I don't know what you are trying to say because you originally replied to me trying to prove me wrong but now that the argument has progressed this far you've changed your stance to be, "I am not saying that they didn't originate from Chinese culture. I am pointing out that the same mythologicals creature are present within Japanese culture." Which isn't even relevant to the topic we were originally discussing.

14. Sythellri

Sythellri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god they forever immortalized my typo.

15. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    The region that Moltres originates from (Kanto Region) has Vermilion city in it

16. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Vermilion is a colour.
    point being?
    not to mention the gym leader is the lightning american~

Flyingfrogslash likes this.
  17. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I wasn't joining in that particular discussion because I didn't even bothered to read it. I saw your post stating that Pokemon explicitly copied from Chinese culture. So, I merely pointed out that some of the said creatures already existed within Japanese culture, which was more likely to the source of influence for the mangakas. I did not explicitly state whether Japanese or Korean culture were influenced by China. Sorry, I didn't know that only certain users could participate in certain discussions, so I shall avoid "butting in" in the future.

Please go back and read my posts. From the first time I posted in this thread, I've said that there are similar mythological creatures in Japanese culture, which does not contradict my "argument". Understood, I shall refrain from posting if it isn't relevant to the topic at hand. On another note, your discussion was completely irrelevant to the thread as well.

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *stares at Title* ......I thought I was at the Pinata club thread...

19. Archaic pickle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup >.> Anyway back to the funny Chinese reactions....

Hopefully they don't translate our reactions to thier reactions...
    This derail will probably make them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

moiralyn, Aiiee, CodeZero and 6 others like this.
  20. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it would make more sense for the city to be named after the Vermilion Bird than a color would it not? Especially with a giant legendary fire bird in the region (-_-). Besides, even though you can't prove that Moltres is the Vermillion Bird you can't disprove it either. And I mean, they resemble each other a lot, not just the fire but the shape of their bodies too.

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.