Discussion ===== Mega Merged WW & Qidian Thread (1.0) ======

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CoffeeMonk, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoffeeMonk

CoffeeMonk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Relevant threads/posts (in the order they occurred):
    Summary of Events (starting from July 25th 2017)
    This will be updated as things develop. -remy
    =============
    Below is the original post
    =============

Please read http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/wuxiaworld-official-response-to-qidians-libelous-claims.37625/ and http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/licensing-issues-of-wuxiaworld.37613/
    carefully, before stating your facts and ideas.

At the beginning when Qidian was about to release I had a feeling that this will happen. It's no surprise since there's big money to translating novels and the profit margins are still growing, but what makes this so attractive is it's an unlimited source of Entertainment. There will be more novels in the future and more fans being attracted.

Big business like Qidian are ambitious since they only care about one thing, which is profit. Don't get fooled by claims of this is for the good of novels... Their main goal is to be the only translator site, while profiting of subscriptions, and cash per word.

The first step of their plan is first to Conquer WW since WW is the leading and leader of this novel community which started it all, and I guarantee you the rest will soon follow after, like GravityTales and Volarenovels.

It's a scare tactic really, if they can take down WW, the rest would falter.

I sincerely hope you guys support WW and other independent translators, because once their gone, this community will also disappear. Reading novels will also be a lot more hectic, everyone who's broke would have to resort to reading in pirated websites or in secret forums while never having the comradeship feeling, commenting, and enjoying novels with fellow readers. (And if Qidian doesn't make any profit since tons of pirate sites will popup attracting everyone to read who feels wronged or doesn't care, Qidian will stop translating and after they monopolize all the novels for themselves.)

The main thing you guys need to realize is that they don't have actual rights to do this, legal and moral. Lets protect our Community.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
    Fulademonen, JoaoP, Arumanfi and 97 others like this.
  2. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing that came to my mind was that Qidian's site is not good and just feels like they just hired someone to make a site with money and the other party just made them a site without having any background information on the community. The site was made solely to benifit qidian.

This community is very much like youtube. First people began to share their love for these novels to people who can't read it in chinese. Slowly the community grew and grew to include people from so many parts of the world enjoying the content and wanting more. Many translators who did this as hobby in their free time suddenly found themselves with a community of supportive fans who not only like the novel but also care for the translator who translated all these for us that they could support themselves financially to an extent because of us. Sites like WW, volaretranslations, and gravity tales grew in popularity and drew in the scattered translations across many sites.

Do you still remember, old time buddies? once we got into reading these delightful novels, we had to search through so many sites/google results based on the comments and helpful replies on the site you first found to find the novels and eventually landed on Wuxia world and was surprised to find more than 1 on the site. We were happy that other scattered novels grouped under a common site because. There were no restrictions on the site. It was just a site so that you didn't have to run around the web to read the novels and each novel and tranlator had their own small community which they communicated with on a regular basis with the help of the comment section and the post itself where the translator used it to say what they wanted. It consisted of 2 way communication, mutual understanding and most importantly, respect for each other.

Tranlators even contacted the authors and the whole event was pleasant and heartwarming.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/atg-chapter-300-✿-and-a-special-message-from-the-author/

Slowly novel updates formed and it provided you guessed it, novel updates. As soon as i discovered it it became almost a tradition to keep novel updates open on my leftmost tab 95% of the time I was online. This forum is the only forum I have ever used. I am proud of our community. You would think that with so many people there are bound to be many bad eggs, but no. The good eggs :)P) vastly trump the bad ones. This community was built upon a foundation of love and respect.

Everything changed when the qidian nation attacked sorry, not sorry.

I had mixed feelings about it at first. Qidian is a company, something that does not belong to a community like ours. Our eyes lay upon the novels whereas their's lay upon money. Nothing you can do about it. Its just what companies are. They produced many novels, many of which I quite like and eagerly wait for every day. Like Library of Heaven's Path, MMORPG: Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian, and Commanding Wind and Clouds. But other than one spot where the translator is mentioned, its like they are never there. There are no comment sections. The tranlator is given no way to communicate with us readers. The translator is to a translation what a author is to a novel and yet they are treated with such disregard. Sure the site looks pretty as one would expect it to when you have paid money for it to be made but the homepage is also next to useless. Did they even take time to see what we have built? do they even care? Do they even see us as a proper community or do they just see us as blocks who wouldn't notice anything and just swollow up whatever they throw at us? Fine one should atleast be prepared for this much abuse if they come to a 'company hosted' site. Atleast its free.

So I started reading novels on it. When reading anything on the web, there are bound to be words that you don't understand. For all those words I just double click on the word and drag it into a new tab so it searches for it in google. But when I did the same on their site it doesn't let me.

This is an active decision to not let anyone 'copy' their content and the feature has existed on their site from the moment it launched. Sure we have seen lazy copycats before but this is different. This is not merely to prevent other people hosting their free content but rather to prevent people reading it from other sites free of cost when their content is behind a paywall. Otherwise why would qidian go to such lengths? Keep in mind doing that means extra work and money. Once the paywall comes into play, we will only be able to read a few chapters of the novel as a teaser if we are lucky.

I was a little angry at the post qidian posted sounding all rightious when everyone can see what your motives are from your actions.

What you are doing is trying to destroy a beautiful community of people so that you can cash in on someone else's work like a goddamn cuckoo bird.

So I will be boycotting all novels from Qidian's site untill this issue get's fixed. Sure it might mean I'll be missing out on novels that I eagerly wait everyday but I can do that if it means there is hope of it not being blocked behind a paywall to just support the people who want to destroy such a community. I will not drink poison to quench my thirst.

P.S: Isn't it funny how Qidian is acting exactly like one of those Xianxia villains we hear of so often? This situation looks like its taken out from a novel. Ren if you are reading this please do not consider ourselves as the main charecters and proceed with caution because this is real life and Qidian is a huge company. Its a international issue so settle it internationationally and don't be dragged into their tempo. I may not be able to speak for everyone but we support you. That being said, the novels do provide a surprising amount of wisdom when it comes to things like these.

3. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    In B4 ze lock
    [​IMG]
    Also gimme my nuffies for commenting on this >.>

FAiri110, kenar, chopin124 and 14 others like this.
  4. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hello there

5. Devilsfruit

Devilsfruit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To hell with Qidian. I solemly vow, if they keep up their douchebaggery, to "support" them by paying for their chapters only to release them myself for free illegally. Anyone who knows a bit about webdevelopment knows how to bypass their copy-paste lock.

Zetcoy, Ab9999, Titan LLS and 9 others like this.
  6. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is someone counting how many of this kind of thread have appeared since the notice that english qidian was coming?

7. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's John Oliver right? (lelel)

8. Deleted member 21272

Deleted member 21272 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    reader view copy-paste

9. imsodone

imsodone 『Creep』

Reading List:
    Link
    The rant is true but we're poor so we can't do nothing about it. If this is a novel we're all cannon fodder.

10. exefour

exefour ◄Amaranthine Origin► ◄Evil►

Reading List:
    Link
    So.. You say you want to protect the illegal community from the "villain" legal publishing company.
    Great :) You should sue them.

Suoh95, kenar, Keima-kun and 2 others like this.
  11. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Stephen Colbert >.>
    From the Colbert report
    Was a funny show on comedy Central

12. Black Heart

Black Heart A Perfectly Normal Individual

Reading List:
    Link
    The coming of the "Paywall of China"..

w7sh, FAiri110, kenar and 6 others like this.
  13. feyrin

feyrin Night time tyrant

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors need money too

Keima-kun, AMissingLinguist and Adair like this.
  14. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
  15. My Pen is Mightier Than Swords

My Pen is Mightier Than Swords ["Questioning the firmament"]

Reading List:
    Link
    But what can we do, we are just minor characters mentioned to just fill in da numbers, nice rant btw

gauthamc likes this.
  16. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    capitalism bb

12300, AMissingLinguist and gauthamc like this.
  17. Azusky

Azusky Gazing At Moonlight | 50 Shades of Blue

Reading List:
    Link
    Think about it first. Qidian is like the boss, while the translators are the illegal immigrants trying to find their place.
    Now, the boss wants to own the whole business. What do the translators do?
    They either bow their head and join the boss, or they revolt and try their own way

So you either bow your head, or you stand up and get slapped by copyrights. The community has no say in it.

18. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Zero300

Zero300 『Mask Maker』『Kamen Rider Khaos』『Demon Immortal』

Reading List:
    Link
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

kenar, Scorcher25, TariganRd and 19 others like this.
  20. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian if it gets it shit together, I mean its our novels true home right? But then I'd have to pay :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.