Feature Request Tracking English Novels

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by J-Mitch, Mar 13, 2016.

1. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,

Novel Updates has made it so that everyone is notified in a timely fashion for almost all the translated works out there when they add a new chapter.

But the title of this website is Novel Updates! It can be more.

What if there was not just translated works? But also an update for original compositions that have shown promise and at least have 10 chapters out there right now?

A lot of these original compositions are being posted on self owned sites, or with groups, but not many know about them.

With novelupdates.com, more and more readers would be routed. Who knows? The website could acknowledge novelupdates.com, and this way, the readers from that website would probably access novelupdates.com, as well as the viewers of novelupdates.com accessing that website.

A mutual benefit. Furthermore, this could be novelupdates.com expanding.

saffu, Vorpal, Indiboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony has answered that question before, but for now he is not gonna do it. He has to make the site better for just c/j/k novels, so for now he has no plans on getting an original composition section.

3. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. Its a shame. I had looked for this suggestion, but could not find. I knew I could not possibly be the first to think of this.

Hopefully, novelupdates thinks of an easy way of implementing this new feature and does it. It sure would be nice.

Comparing the views of a forum to that on the home site... forums don't provide nearly the quarter the amount of exposure. But hopefully things will change.

Thanks for replying!

4. NaM

NaM 『♔ Re dell'appostarsi』(The GentleMaN)

Reading List:
    Link
    Problem here is finding a true blue original composition author. who is 100% sure of not dropping his work/Project just because of some minor stuff like being lazy, unsure, and simply find his work hopeless. If you are sure that you are one of those 100% author.. dont expect others to be the same..
    you cant expect tony to add a original composition section.. where the only one updating or added is yourself..

Edits:
    Ok not a 100% , as far as i know, there was only few who can do that so LOL with that.. it should be atleast 70-80% sure i guess..

Risus likes this.
  5. SlashCrit

SlashCrit 『Young King of ♥』『Lawyer/Bartender』

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds impossible tbh. Your requirements are too high XDXD

6. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    NU wasn't created for original compositions. As much as I think many people would like to see OC's integrated, it's a lot of work, and it's time that would take away from working on the current NU. Generally, there is already alternatives to NU for original compositions, like where people actually post them. If people actually want their work to be shown to the community, there is the original compositions which you spoke of.

People forget that NU is still very young. There's still a lot of things to work on and fix. Give everything time because the team working on things is very small.
    Not saying you're wrong, but translators also drop projects all the time.

7. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many translated books that are dead in the water on this site with only one chapter!

That being said, for original authors, such problems could be fixed. Novelupdates.com just needs to accept those with at least 25+ chapters or those who have completed the novel/novella already. If the time stamp on the novel goes dead for more than X months, then they delete it. If its a completed novel, then obviously there would be no more updates, but it will be in the archive.

I don't believe thats the problem. Only problem I see is continuously getting these novels updated on the site while managing translated novels.

8. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    I voted no, due to you attempting to push it by making another thread to link to this one to get it more views. that and we use sites like royalroadl and a few others for that like japtem novel updates wasnt made for that... lol

9. NaM

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol.. it can be done.. being a author doesnt have a limit.. might take a few years.. but all depends on your ability and patience.. haha lol
    Yeah i know.. well atleast dropped translated novel still had a chance..unlike original composition that once dropped, no one can take the mantle expect for the author..

10. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell that to Yen Press or a DMCA notice :D

UnknownSaint171 and NaM like this.
  11. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    they.....technically could.....but it would become even more of a fanfic or just purely a fanfic depending on the basis for the original story..... XD

easy way to beat DMCA's is simply change something in the story like names of some people and whala~ its a 'fanfic' hehehehe

NaM likes this.
  12. NaM

Reading List:
    Link
    Well anyhow.... its not like im current doing some OC so i might as well refrain from saying too much..

lol why not just make a thread with some Fellow OC author and make some movement or something.. lol ahahaha.. nah just kidding it will just be a hassle

13. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    Would be interested if Original Compositions could be hosted here, but honestly its up to the people in charge.

Although I'm not sure how the site fully works, adding a separate category with the JP, KR, CN categories would be easy. The only problem is the updates, i think the site use rss feeds to get updates, so if the author doesn't have it setup it might be troublesome to add each chapter manually.

If you try to let the authors add it, they would have to make an interface/page for you to allow you to add the chapters yourself.

The main problem would be reliability of the author, if they suddenly create a series then drop it, NU will be filled with junk OC. Also authors could spam the update list with empty chapters (fixable but requires some effort). Overall, the risk might be more than the reward.

Edit: risk and effort vs reward

14. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I tried to put it in General Chat because I thought The Suggestions section was just for admin, and in the general chat section, a discussion would happen. Didn't Know I put it in General, and when I realized, I didn't know how to delete post. There is just no button for it. I'm new to the forum.

Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  15. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I misunderstood you then sorry~

16. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you go to aho updates they have an original section there. They are all more or less regularly updated, but the selection is lacking.

I prefer novel updates though. Page loads so much easier, and the content layout is easy to navigate.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    for OC I prefer aho updates than NU, because aho also "post" announcement not just chapter update. As a reader I wanna know bout the author too if I find his/her/their story interesting.

19. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want an NU "alternative" with OC, you could also try WLNupdates.

(Before anyone starts accusing anyone, WLNU was around before NU.)

asriu likes this.
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ty for the link, actually I found NU while searching it and forget about it