Chinese Reaction to Wuxiaworld vs. Qidian issue

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by _Selutu_, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, Selutu here. I'm a translator on volare and Re: Library that translates both Qidian and non-Qidian novels (which you can find in my signature). Since some people were wondering about the reactions of the Chinese to this situation, and someone also specifically asked me to translate some, I've decided to post the more notable ones here.
    ___________​
    Thread 1 (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5128130127): Fuck, Qidian retracted wuxiaworld’s authorizations, wuxiaworld is screwed…

[​IMG]
    夜之海·绝音:Fuck, they’re starting to kill the mule before it’s fattened?

DadofDovahkiin: +1, from Qidian’s table manners, they definitely starved to death in their previous life.

狼群_Ghost: Their table manners are seriously… not right. Qidian could have simply taken the translators in after the translations have finished. This was all to save that tiny bit of money?

夜之海·绝音: I fear that not only will it be affect the spread of webnovels, it will also give them infamy.

某神隐: Speaking of which, Qidian didn’t have any change of management after it was bought. It is still under the management of Shengda.

[​IMG]
    剑潋长歌入汉关: Believe me, the capitalists in the country never had any face.

剑潋长歌入汉关: Of course, all the crows in the world are black.

某神隐: Believe me, there are no good capitalists.

剑潋长歌入汉关: That’s why all the crows in the world are black.

[​IMG]
    见崎misaki_mei: Is it worth it to kill the lamb?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    犹梦初醒S: Although I don’t want to wipe their (Qidian’s) asses, there isn’t no advantages to doing this. First of all, the issue of copyright is easily solved and it won’t cause any arguments.

Secondly, professional translation jobs might open up, which will provide a certain amount of employment.

Thirdly, the development in the future will be easier.

Fourthly, Tencent’s influence will increase if it is done well.

Of course, the disadvantages are clear. A lot of translators are fan translators, it is unclear whether they will just quit if they had to be taken under Qidian’s wing. Of course, it will also depend on the attractiveness of money towards the people, and how much Tencent can pay.

夕影之剑: 30 USD per chapter, at least 5 chapters per week. The quality check is done by using the readers as free labor force. Go and ask any decent translator in the country, no one will agree.

夜之海·绝音: A lot of the translators have their own jobs, translation is just a hobby. There really isn’t many that quit to translate full time. What’s more, there are also students translating. Qidian doing this… Hehe.

犹梦初醒S: If it’s too low, then Qidian is really just killing the mule that pulls the mill. I wonder what they think.

犹梦初醒S: Hopefully the donation system can stay?

DadofDovahkiin: They (Qidian) are crazy confident about their influence overseas.

犹梦初醒S: Hopefully Tencent didn’t lose their minds.

DadofDovahkiin: They’re already crazy and you’re saying they didn’t lose their minds.

DadofDovahkiin: I just had it look, it’s mainly Yuewen that talked with wuxiaworld. The truly disgusting people are the ones running Qidian International.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Eat_Angst, Ophious, SayMrrp and 87 others like this.
  2. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Thread 2 (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5129618534): wuxiaworld's official reply to Qidian.
    [​IMG]
    qqwr43999: This is the issue with copyrights being monopolized - They pretty much don't think about improving, because there is no need to. They just need to not let you use it. User experience? It's nonexistent.

qqwr43999: If it was done by the authors of the original novel, then I have nothing to say, since it's understandable. What's terrifying is that - it is a monopolizing platform. If you don't join this platform, then you work has no place to be shown. Join it? Your copyright belongs to it.

夜之海·绝音: There were authors that went to advertise their projects being translated by WW and even video chatted with readers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    天使的欧派: Why do I feel like they are like idiots? Who made this decision?

燃尽的渣渣: Dumb? The international market asked for it, it can also be said as the result of the fans advertising. Qidian International only came to get the reward, they barely used any effort. Even if this was screwed up, they would still be the same after retreating to the national market, they won't suffer any losses. The only consequences will be the fans that were advertising xuanhuan webnovels ending up with no English translations to read. So how is it dumb?

Asterose: Ugh... Not earning money when they can is dumb?

天使的欧派: Too early.

灬虞美人灬: Qidian going international doesn't have much to do with wuxiaworld, they will advance there whether wuxiaworld exists or not. Qidian already monopolized the Chinese market, the only step they can take to develop is internationally. Although cooperating with wuxiaworld can save efforts and cause the pie to get bigger, the foreigners will recognize wuxiaworld and not Qidian. All the influence will be by wuxiaworld. That's why Qidian might as well cause trouble. If they win, then they earn stuff for free, if they lose then just develop slowly. They have tons of money.

天使的欧派: Directly buy wuxiaworld or its shares. I don't believe that wuxiaworld will disagree to investments. Just like bilibili.

Svlas: They might have been refused when offering a buyout. That's Yuewen's retarded attitude. Just look at Chuangshi. They couldn't beat Qidian? Yuewen just directly bought Qidian.

狼群_Ghost: Is going international that easy? The most important thing about translations is the fundamentals. Different translators can translate things into two complete different texts. Qidian was retarded this time. I'm very curious on where they would find more "professional" and "local" translators.

[​IMG]
    Misa_Amaned: (Qidian is) killing the chicken for its eggs. There are translators and fans, who the hell would know what Qidian International is. Just directly support this website and cooperate with it. Qidian has so many novels, are they scared of not making money?

Svlas: A large industrial factory source supporting a small shop to sell stuff? How are they supported to earn money? Is WW huge?

浩哥的想法: wuxiaworld seems to be number 187 in terms of clicks. I don't remember where I got the data from.
    Svlas: Since they have so many clicks, then just how much profit do they make? Then how much are the authors of those novels making? In the eyes of foreigners, the way of Qidian allowing 200 to 300 thousand characters for free before paying is "monopolizing"?

灬虞美人灬: It's because people only know wuxiaworld and don't know what the hell Qidian International is that Qidian got anxious. Killing the chicken for its eggs? The main point is that the chicken doesn't belong to Qidian. If wuxiaworld was willing to be like Riot and be bought, then they would only cause trouble for wuxiaworld if they have nothing better to do.

[​IMG]
    唐_子畏: I'm actually not surprised at all. After all, Qidian has always been like this, betraying people's trusts. They do one thing on the surface, and another behind people's backs. Back then, they walked out and created Chuangshi and said that they were trying to help authors get better benefits, before a few years, they immediately revealed their capitalist fangs.

[​IMG]
    Svlas: Foreign works entering China can ask for copyright, then Chinese webnovels going outside can't? Qidian International probably has subscriptions and donations and what not. With 1000 subscription frequency points, earning ten thousand a month isn't an issue. How much can WW pay? Foreign gaming companies recognized the spending potential of Chinese players and started to use all sorts of methods to enter the Chines emarket, then it is natural for Yuewen to open the market when they realized the webnovels in foreign countries... As for whether they can make it big and do it well, it would depend on the Chinese webnovel authors' abilities. A fan-based website like wuxiaworld can only become the sacrifice of a capitalist market.

Also, hooray for monopolization.

Ophious, Astaroth, Wing0 and 47 others like this.
  3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GG chinese flamers.

4. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    lol
    thx for translating.

NUCL3AR T1GER likes this.
  5. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Thread 3 (http://www.saraba1st.com/2b/thread-1504830-1-1.html): Qidian started to suppress wuxiaworld

[​IMG]
    Redis: It's true that they didn't do much wrong. But in the end, it probably won't develop the way they (Qidian) envisioned it.

Swanfal: If they can't read your foreign trash, then wouldn't they be fine reading their good old fantasy and sci-fi novels? No better how bad reading Japanese LNs is, it's better than sticking your face against a cold ass. At least they can see their waifu's ass.

Carm, Astaroth, Fang4 and 30 others like this.
  6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Fucking hell Selutu

You're brilliant

7. gamesmaniac

gamesmaniac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems the same things were posted there by qidian. It seems Chinese don't have a good opinion of qidian.

8. FutureBoy

FutureBoy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian don't have face now. They all wasted it in their shady work.

jackateonetoo and ronishamay like this.
  9. Silverblood

Silverblood Forbidden Library

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if this is like the saying crapping on ones table?

jackateonetoo and badMal like this.
  10. Avarrencus

Avarrencus 『Tier 0 : True Infinity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Look someone who plays Skyrim.

11. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone tell me who or what this 'Yuewen' is?

Astaroth and Tolena like this.
  12. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for translating these, really wondered what their reactions were.

ronishamay likes this.
  13. sigmarc

sigmarc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if Qidan gets all meat and soup that blast it all i am going to read my books.

Ichigocheesecake likes this.
  14. agilan

agilan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My ass is convulsing from laughter from knowing that the chinese too dont really support qidian.

15. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure it's Ren, not a 100% sure though.
    I forget lol
    Edit:was wrong thanks.

16. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder what Qidian is really thinking when they did those.
    and i also wonder what they are doing now? xD
    maybe they are arguing why they did those.hehe

Chiiiiiiiii and ronishamay like this.
  17. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The company that owns qidian. or is qidian. however it works.

EDIT: English name I believe is China Reading

Varler, Astaroth, Tolena and 2 others like this.
  18. thelurker

thelurker [The Crazy Guy] Death to All BL Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Pls more!

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    fight yuru.png hey there was fun time when playing with the fire~ if you dare and brave enough to face it's consequence

jodezaca and Myriadfold like this.
  20. NoTofu

NoTofu [Lord Third's less meaty Cousin] [Tofu Jelly]

Reading List:
    Link
    well at least we know that even the Chinese readers think this was a dick move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.