Noodletown's Reply

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by noodletowntranslated, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    Well firstly learn some presentation, if not for yourself, have pity on the community.

Yeah, us readers should be happy. That we are taken as fools by Qidian, by putting statements so idiotic that a child can spot. Then we should be happy that the translators whom we support, are being pressured. We should be happy that quality is suffering.

There is so much happiness that I just can't seem to list it all.

PS: Not all readers are angry because of the paywall. Because remember that WW is earning without paywall and earning enough to attract a shark like Qidian. People are paying WW too, which is excessive compared to the individual amount Qidian will offer to users. BUT, people are angry because of the treatment Qidian is giving them.

It's respect. Qidian doesn't respect our community. It's not just about WW. It's about us.

Odorico, Raizu, Kiilalene and 6 others like this.
  2. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Last time I checked, they're taking 31 novels from Wuxiaworld. If you're talking about those currently in their site, then no thanks I don't plan on going to that cancer.

LOL no this can't be more wrong. A lot of Arifureta's readers refused to read the MTL chapters prior to cobalt translating.

3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    friend, this is INTERNET....doesn't matter what is your reason, once your reputation became shit people will smear it into your face.....Why? simple, because no can get at you if add oil to the fire......

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  4. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    serious question here i feel the need to ask but @rwxwuxiaworld how are we supposed to react to this? because with what has been said we've painted qidian as baby eaters who wipe their mouths with money and your side as the poor downtrodden guy who's being screwed by a big company. i'm not saying this is the wrong way to look at the situation but should we wait for the NDA to stop taking effect and we can get the full story or should we just leave this to you and qidian and be happy with what happens regardless?

5. Kagenesti

Kagenesti [Dao of Taming] [Dao of the Wild]

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you said you are willing the thing most people who aren't flaming are wondering about is the figure noodle said was the amount being paid to authors. I know WW has nda and he is right not to talk about it.
    Since you claim your from quidian (only Including this for the fact that I can't check your credentials to know that is true) can you tell us what quidian pays to authors for their work and whether like some claim that once they start working for quidian that the authors lose control over their story since they sold quidian the IP rights not the copyrights?
    To my knowledge the difference between the two is copyright is the sale of an original work to an entity for use such as an author selling his book to quidian and then they publish it. The author still has control over the story and direction because he only sold the book itself not the idea behind it or future books in this scenario.
    If he sold the IP then anything he worked on for the story would automatically belong to quidian and unless stated by contract they technically would get it from him for free. I know quidian wouldn't go this far but a person selling their IP is a huge deal since it gives away anything they come up with to the company they work for. Now the authors must get something back or they wouldn't stay/join with quidian so just wondering about that.
    Now I know this is a fairly simplistic example and there are probably a few fallacies in it about payment and the contracts themselves but I am only asking for a general statement regarding the treatment of the authors who are giving us these wonderful novels.

6. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of NDA, I recall @rwxwuxiaworld saying that Qidian tackled something under NDA on their post...So the NDA is already down or is it still up and you can sue @Qidian for disclosing something under NDA?

Rreelentless likes this.
  7. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess that's the important bit, guess that's the plus (LOL) side of chinese legal world, they can't fuck your life over over some contracts like in the states, especially for a uni student. Or a willing sheep walking into a tiger's mouth in this case.

Tramsloof likes this.
  8. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    nha, just boicot qidian.......don't read anything there is best choice......once you give them an inch they take a mile.....we barely tollerate they presence on this comunity thanks to the old shitty example made by xianxiaworld, now they want to eat the comunity as whole.....if they didn't have the brain kiked by a donkey, they must be born already stupid.....

9. Tramsloof

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not RWX. Or someone from WuxiaWorld. But a NUF member.

Since we are done with that. You should react in whatever way you want. You should picture the situation however you like. Ren told his side of the story and Qidian is still playing its part.

We as human beings have our own beliefs and opinions which are formed from our past experience and many other factors. We can always argue whose opinion is true, based on the facts that we know about the situation.

Westeller and Saitama.sensei like this.
  10. Chivas

Chivas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @noodletowntranslated get off the internet dude, you are just shaming yourself!

@Qidian why send a stooge when you can respond directly!

Odorico, Westeller, Einy and 3 others like this.
  11. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    cause they want to take so much care of their so-called 'face'. And yet they claim that what they do is for the community. Pfft.

12. Tramsloof

Reading List:
    Link
    E
    I am sure they don't have someone who knows how to talk. They spoke once, and you see all this mess.

Their minions speak, and you saw how the mess doubled. Now just imagine what would happen when the boss monster takes its appearance on the stage once again.

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  13. JackNathanielMikhail

JackNathanielMikhail Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Technically Qidian wasn't doing anything new in the novel translation industry? I think the official Japanese novel translation sites do similar paywall stuff? It's more that QI started to air dirty laundry in public that is bad?
    2a. No idea o.0
    2b. What can we do? Start a petition? Or maybe start a protest outside Qidian office? Or Boycott?

14. aylmao69

aylmao69 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i do agree wholeheartedly that the quality needs to be better if they wanna charge people. i do understand the outrage as well, but i think people are disregarding the fact that qidian does own the novels and they CAN do what theyre doing. i dont think what theyre doing is smart, but i defend their right to do it

theyre taking 11, not 31. ww already has the rights to the other 20. dont know who arifuretas readers are, but the vocal minority that say they refuse to read mtl is a extremely tiny group of people in the grand scheme of things. the fact that mtl sites even exist proves that theres profit to be made there, so in a business sense, the arifureta readers dont matter. if we are taking comments as something serious here, then check the comments saying things along the lines of "we want the old translator of x novel back because he updated faster" even though the current translator has better quality

i dont think this info will ever be revealed to the public, at least not from rwx. the way to look at it isnt like how youre saying. the simple fact is that qidian agreed to something but broke that agreement. and the idiots at qidian thought it would be a good idea to release this info to the public.

since this is the actual first good question i received, heres some nice info for you: the amount paid by ww, which i heard from people on ww side (i dont talk to qidian management) was something the 6 digits for all 20 novels. this could be between 100,000-999,999. as for how much of that went to authors, dont even think ww knows. i have no clue how much authors get paid, but i was told th at there are different types of contracts with qidian, and they get paid more for their novel directly if they give qidian more control over it, if that makes sense.

no, there is no one who knows how to talk, youre right about that lol

Westeller and NovaCi like this.
  15. radikai

radikai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end, both sides will suffer.

16. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea. Once a translation is shitty or there's obviously not an editor. I don't read. I am trying to enjoy myself reading novels not hurt my brain

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  17. Kagenesti

Kagenesti [Dao of Taming] [Dao of the Wild]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for answering my question as well as your able. I would like to know more whether the authors sign more of one contract over the other but it's not really necessary.
    I would really love to know just what the authors got from the deal and whether quidian is acting in the authors best interest in representing them.

Because no authors= no quidian/books. From how WW has been run and how they start a pow wow between english readers and the Chinese authors you get a sense of cooperation and respect. Now I'm sure both are making money but making money isn't evil itself. It's only when you exploit the work of others for your own gain.

So if many Chinese authors are happy with quidian that's great. But if they are with quidian because they were forced or after they signed they can't leave due to financial or legal reason and kept as some on the Internet said as slaves then that is a problem, although that's most likely just exaggeration there's sometimes a kernel of truth behind such stories.

I don't expect quidian to openly put out their business practices and private payment to authors but since I can't speak Chinese I can only ask the in between people such as WW and quidian then compare their responses.

18. aylmao69

aylmao69 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know how to do this in any other way, so im just gonna paste what someone said in a different thread here, apologies in advance if what im doing is bad. this comment was made by noob_senpai, so credits to him for digging this up.

I'll quote RWX from two different threads, since his answer clarifies some stuff (also mentioned by others) and I think we can agree that he is a reliable source of info on this:
    "They also take complete ownership of all copyrights from authors. They have even put in some contracts stating that if you sign with Qidian, not only is this current book owned by Qidian, ALL FUTURE BOOKS YOU WRITE are owned by Qidian. How do they treat their authors? I recommend you learn Chinese, then search Baidu!"
    And for the question about whether they license from authors:
    "No, Qidian signs draconian terms even in China which basically states that the authors do not own the rights to their own novels; Qidian itself owns all the rights. A few 'big' authors are able to push back, but that's the standard contract."

Westeller likes this.
  19. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    So 400,000RMB is the correct price for 20 novels ? I mean if it's price you paid for 20 or so super popular novels then it's rather a good deal.

Nevertheless I do wish that you and Qidian settle the case soon. Love both sites but I am tired of all the drama.

Luk2048 likes this.
  20. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    The ironic thing is.. he's apparently majoring in business *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.