Discussion [ShowerThought] The evolution of the "Dense MC"

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by frenzy85, May 25, 2017.

1. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    First they started as lucky sukebe who are dense in terms of romance.

Then came those who knew little about human relationships in general.

Then having no understanding of social norms.

Then having no understanding of society as a whole, being proficient in their craft but nothing else even on a basic level.

Slowly, we're being conditioned by LN authors to accept higher and higher levels of denseness as normal...
    Interestingly, this progression to extremely ignorant/dense MCs seem much more common in Japanese WNs.

When I read them, I like to imagine MC isn't actually dense, but is pretending because he enjoys chaos. :whistle:

Did I just coincidentally read in a way that made it seem that way? Did this kind of overly dense MCs exist from long ago?

Oh, and I'm not naming series because I don't want to call series out. Apparently, that's a dick move.

readerz, Risus and JLIX19 like this.
  2. JLIX19

JLIX19 『Harem Sect Elder』

Reading List:
    Link
    Then absolute Harem

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels are like a box of chocolates...

Risus and DocB like this.
  4. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    I wholly agree.

It's like when I started reading Invisible Dragon.
    I expected to read about a dragon that can't be seen, but BAM! I got cancer.

5. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there's also the subversion of the genre as well as aversion of the genre. Genres will always keep changing until a new genre is created. I hope the next type of LNs will be about dense powers and how denseness will increase that power.

6. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    They aren't dense at all, it helps maintain the harem or else the girls get jealous of each other. It's all a ruse.

7. Sangnz

Sangnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is dense and then there is neutron star levels of dense. I don't mind dense so long as it is believable, but once it gets to the point of the girl practically throwing themselves at the MC and he still doesn't get it my frustration rises.
    The dense MC goes hand in hand with my 3rd biggest gripe the supposed inability to talk to people for no other reason than to force drama. Seriously the amount of times an inner monologue occurs that if the MC just said it out loud it would fix almost everything but instead he just keeps it to himself blows my mind.

I can't quite see the writers of these shows being that intelligent tbh the writer is just using the excuse of denseness to create an infinite holding pattern so more girls can be introduced and a satisfying ending can never occur.

8. nos4r2

nos4r2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some manga i used to enjoy after read alot of alpha mc in cn novel and some rare jp novel i can't enjoy those manga anymore like love hina a month ago back to read it mc are so fking annoying can't even go past 5 chapter i rage quit already