Discussion The Start to Real Virtual Reality...

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Linley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link

Virtual Reality has already gotten pretty immersive, as shown in this video. Since thy can already recreate walking and hand movements, how long do you think it would take before we can all go become Legendary Moonlight Sculptors?

2. JordanPaHa

JordanPaHa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably another ten years to be an actual full immersed vrmmropg. (Hard to put what I think into words without sounding weird.)

3. Linley

Reading List:
    Link
    Do immersive do you mean to the point we can go in pods and have the game connected to our brain waves? I so, I think maybe... 30 years since it would be hard to find a drug to make us sleep that isn't harmful and can be used on a constant basis

4. Data

Data Assuming Direct Control

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say 20-30 years before getting vr capsules with those capabilities.

5. JordanPaHa

JordanPaHa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that's what I mean

6. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Drugs seems like a bad branch to go through. I'm sure that if they can sync the brain to games, they can put the body into stasis instead of relying on drugs... still, they would have to think about regulating the body's condition and keeping stuff like bowel movements from being affected from the game's excitement... I would had to crap myself IRL if facing a big monster.

7. remotay1

remotay1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just take some hallucinogens and pretend to be Kirito.

Hatty and Lithit like this.
  8. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'm kinda scared that game makers nowadays are heading to a weird branch of gaming. Instead of full immersive VR, they seem to be trying to connect IRL movements with games. This isn't VR, but AR, no? Augmented reality means the game is incorporated into IRL. For example, a shooting game where you and your friends are outside and use the game system to shoot each other...

Reason why I think so... look at the stuff now. You basically have goggles with full view screens and headphones... this isn't full immersion or virtual...

9. Anghagaed

Anghagaed 「未熟戦士」

Reading List:
    Link
    Best estimate 40 year. Latest 200 years

Asf likes this.
  10. Linley

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but this is more like the first step. I was thinking goggles that connect to the brain and are power by brain waves would be the first type of VR System we will have. Afterwards, it will develop more to the point smells, proper sounds, and everything else will seem realistic. But again, its just my opinion

11. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, VR right now is pretty janky. It'll take a while before we get anything really good. Right now its mere novelty

12. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    This.. is not VR, this is but a higher grade (yet more retarded) audio-visual immersion. In which they use the logic of 3D concept and try to make you think you're there. That's called illusion. Used by artists to trick your brain. It's a pseudo-stimulant to your eyes, and btw. it's not original. Illusion has been in use for centuries. This is just using 3D on a slightly higher scale on the pc, trying to replicate the illusion in every day life.

Also, full immerse VR (your brain going into digital space for real) is possible within 10 years. slightly, maybe not at all. a lot of factors are here to be included.
    EEG is prime example of reading brain waves and getting the best idea of what your brain is doing. with this you can "control what you do without doing it in actuality". though, this needs a huge upgrade and so on. also, there needs to be an inflow of data. which, is impossible. to receive data directly into the brain without being "digested" by the "gates" we call senses (sights, hearing, touch, smell, taste) the brain would fry from the huge unfiltered flow of data.
    there is also paralyzing certain parts of the cerebral cortex (movement) so you can't move both in body and mind and cause some issues. (no, you can't prevent having to take the dump or being hungry, don't be an idiot. but there could be a system warning [again. EEG knows your brain the best] which will notify you withing VR that you have "needs" and should log off.

it's complicated all of it. and these "VR head sets" aren't even scratching the surface of actual VR. (the one you usually think of as from SAO)

13. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm

Its probably the same time when we all live in pods where everything is controlled by an AI overlord....

wait, isnt there a movie like this once? ...
    I'm guessing its 2150.... according to a computer simulation, everything went bonkers that year....

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Till the mass produced affordable stuff comes with an abundance game titles and sophisticated graphics.. I'd say 200 years or more.

16. jobjohn09

jobjohn09 I'm still NU Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is so cool..... Damn..... Maybe Augmented Reality with an omni-directional tradmill is fine if they can't do the fully immersive ones.

17. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on the money poured to those direction, but my estimate is at least half a century... and to make it even common people can use it will take longer I think...

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oh~ really science and war always work together not bad thing. IMO for VR tech available on public like LMS level maybe at least 150++ years in future because this tech can bring a lot of new crime potential. It hinted somehow in Shura's Wrath when talking about alliance power struggle

20. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    For the VR in novels, it will probably take 40 years to get a basic grip on it. That's also assuming that people are actively pouring funds into virtual reality.

As for mass production and such, that'll take longer than developing the technology itself. The product would also be absurdly expensive.

Making a game as good looking, realistic, and deep as Royal Road would also take a considerable amount of time. Perhaps in the next decade or two something like that will pop up, but i doubt it. A game like Royal Road that's neverending would also just be bad for business and unsustainable.

This is just my completely uninformed and five second opinion though. Take it as a grain of salt.

(On a side note, that commentator is kind of what I imagine when reading an all caps post. Like damn)