Discussion Doing bad things to bad people.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tinkerlin, May 26, 2017.

1. Zeckzen

Zeckzen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We punish the naughty kitty cat, Rrrr

Reindeer likes this.
  2. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    It is all just a matter of perspective
    For example,A and B is at war,from the perspective of A,B will be evil for preventing their prosperity,and A will be evil to B because A take their land,and so on and so on.
    But if you think about it again,the ones who win is always the good one,because it's part of the winners privilage,the losing side can't talk smack because the winning side will definitely stomp them

3. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not bad if there's no police around~ ( ̄▼ ̄)

Khajiit_Is_Innocent likes this.
  4. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad girls are the best.

5. Silveus

Silveus Never Drinks Mana Pots

Reading List:
    Link
    First off...

Koe no Katachi The mc was a bully, but the story is about how he regretted that and grew as a person. Its a story of redemption and forgiveness.

Youjo Senki Is a bit stranger, mostly because we the reader, are privileged to know her actual thoughts, while the other characters, are making misunderstandings.

We know she is just trying to survive the war in anyway possible, training powerful subordinates, trying to get a posting off of the front-lines.

This isn't really evil, they're fighting a defensive war that someone else started. Killing enemy soldiers, is in no way evil, especially when the other side started the war.

On the other hand, the other characters see her as some kind of ultra-patriotic battle crazed soldier, but she still exemplifies the idea of an ideal soldier, loyalty to the nation, loyalty to the chain of commanded, loyalty to those serving under her.

As for the general idea of is it okay to do bad things to bad people, well, no two situations are identical.

Its okay to punch a guy robbing a gas station
    It is not okay to then gouge his eyes out with a spoon.
    Its also not okay to punch a guy who laughed at someone falling over.

now you bring up the bombing of germany and japan in WW 2, and i'd like to point out, that both of those nations were the aggressors in that conflict. Its hard to claim unfair treatment when you started the situation, unless the response is well out of proportions.

The germans did the holocaust, they also bombed the UK. The Japanese terrorized the Chinese, and anyone else they captured. Look into the Bataan death march, the Rape of Nanking for more information.

Most bombings, were done towards military, or productions targets. For the most part, the allied bombing campaigns were not targeted at civilian,s but factories, railways, millitary depots, and the like.

A notable exception was the bombing of Dresden, but even that, wasn't done out of a desire to inflict harm or terror, but to break the spirit of the germans and make them surrender.

Likewise, the atomic bombings weren't so much a stratigic attack, but a way to crush the spirit of the japanesse.

Ultimately, while you should try to avoid needlessly inflicting harm on the opponent, your first priority is to avoid damaging your own side. The allies could have armed themselves with pillows, and send them in to "fluff" everyone into exhaustion, doing so would have prevented majority of the japanese and german casualties, but it would have inflicted far greater ones on the allies.

Pretender, chopin124 and FAiri110 like this.
  6. FAiri110

FAiri110 Your Secret Stalker

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it just a convenient way of justifying your bad deeds? How are you any different than these 'bad' people?

Just let the human law or the heavens' law take its course (what goes around comes around). They may regret it later & become a better person at the emd of their lives...who knows...

7. Zeckzen

Zeckzen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guard?

8. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Like when someone is bad to me(when they do something bad to me) I really know how to hold grudges, and if a grudge existed it most certainly must be avenged.

9. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm... looking at history(even fictional ones a.k.a. legends or myths) this is how to "justify" whatever bad deed they want to do in the name of *insert whatever shit with power here*. Someone declare this as evil or bad, then you are free to do whatever you want because it was "justified".
    Well there is no true justice as there is no true equality yet~
    good and bad is still subjective~

10. Shem

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad that I'm a badgirl. Want me to do bad things on you? :3

Yeah. Like breaking your neck :3

11. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    in times of war you cant say anyone is truly good nor bad. The example you used, then, if a bit off in my opinion. Because in that case bad would be subjective, and would not apply to every single person in the war.

If however you used an example with a single individual then it becomes easier to explain. Youjo senki is going to be ignored because it was during wartime and although her actions were not right, by any means, when in war you do what you have to to win against the other side. Even if it means destroying those who....may disagree with your actions and create discord.

So, lets talk about how this question would be applied to....say a murderer, or a sex offender. In those cases, doing bad things to them is fine. In my opinion. Now a murderer may have a good reason to kill, i admit. If not, if they are a psychopath? Then what they get is what they deserve. A sex offender, a rapist? Well that's just cruelty, sexually assaulting someone never has a good reason. So if you are bad to them, do bad things to them, can you say that this isn't what they deserve? They made their bed, they should lie in it.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. But when bad things happen to bad people? Why feel sorry? Those who sin, and care not about doing so....those are the kinds of people you shouldn't care about. We all have to take responsibility for our actions. If you know a person is bad, then when shit happens to them it stands to reason that they are in the place they are in because of that. Like i said, sometimes bad things happen to people who dont deserve it.

But when it happens to someone who does deserve it, then its merely their own fault. And they shouldn't be felt sorry for, or given mercy, or have any right to even complain about their fates.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Pretender and Aiiee like this.
  12. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the setting...

if it is a dog eat dog society, then doing bad things to bad people is definitely acceptable.

if it is a civil society, then probably not but even in civil societies some would find it acceptable

13. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Moral of the story, Justice is relative and there is no such thing as good or evil, just different shades of grey.

14. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't mention the US
    they drop bomb for everything and their killcount is mostly civilians

15. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    50 shad-*gets slapped for suggesting*

16. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I mean there's no need to use the atomic bomb back then sooner or later surrendering is already a given for Japan

17. Pretender

Pretender <{Vanquisher}> {(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻}

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because life is not that simple that we have to analyze contexts.

What's the reason for the aggression? What's the dimension of the suffered aggression? Was it for a lousy reason (greed, religion, impulsiveness, lust, racism etc.)? If It's a big aggression, done by frivolous reasons, by someone that is already a recidivist (one that already received previous support for rehabilitation) for a long time, well, this person has to die. It's not something comfortable to say, but it's the truth. And yep, bad things have to be done to bad people. "Evil" and "bad" exists, no matter how some people try to relativize things, and everyone has a little of it in themselves.

What I use to determine someone is bad? I have a little and simple mental index: little bad + big good=good people, little bad + little good = neutral/normal people, middle bad + little good= average "bad" people, need rehabilitation and with it probably will come back to normal, middle bad + middle good and middle bad + big good = unstable/confuse people, probably need a more complex rehab, perhaps mild mental problem, perhaps mild "fanaticism" for something (religion, soccer etc.), big bad + little good and big bad + middle good = bad people that need restraint immediately, if no know rehabilitation solves the problem, death sentence or perpetual imprisonment for recidivists. Big bad + big good= probably a totally crazy person (or a eccentric politician/dictator), hospitalization, probably rehabilitation will not be possible but should be tried, perpetual imprisonment.

Ps: of course the thing above is subjective, as what's bad or good and what's little and big is said from my point of view, and imprecise, as that's just a little resume cause I'm lazy and it would be too much labor (and I'm receiving no money, lol) :p.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  18. Shem

Reading List:
    Link
    (☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

19. kursys

kursys animeweedlord420

Reading List:
    Link
    bad things and bad people are only bad in the perspective of the individual. rather than get tied up trying to rationalize your definition of bad vs the world's definition of bad, you're better off living with conviction in your actions regardless of what anyone else may think. it's your life.

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That is an odd question to ask. What is a bad person to begin with? It is all a matter of perspective. To one person someone could be a hero, to another a villain. There is no real definition of what a bad person is. Hence why the assumption of bad things happening to bad people is ok...or aka karma.

Keep in mind that someone being seen as a bad person can also be due to limited information about said person as well. Hence why you sometimes get reveals on the villain and how he ended up that way. Which can change a perspective of someone if said person is really a bad person or not.

That said, end of the day it is all about how much leisure someone has. Taking your example of Japan and German bombing in WW2. The question is, what is they were not bombed? How many more would have died? Would they ended up becoming some of the wealthiest economies in the world without it? There are many factors that have to be considered as end goal and result.

If we had the power to instantly win like an OP protagonist, sure some leisure can be shown. But in reality the choices are they die or you die.

Let me ask you this question, if I give you a gun and put you next to a person with a knife. The person with a knife is a serial murderer and if he kills you, he can escape his jail sentence. Would you shoot? Yes you will. And you will tell yourself its self defense and that he was a bad person anyways. Of course if you were an OP protagonist immune to any harm, then you had leisure and can be more creative. But even then, what happens if he comes after your family or your friends instead?

End of the day, humanity is about conflict. We can and should try to end things peacefully and to the best of our ability. But at some point we need to accept reality and do what we think is best overall.

Human's biggest flaw is thinking they are above animals. We aren't, we are just a bit smarter animals. (and even sometimes that is questionable).

PS The only purrfect and flawless race are cats, all hail cats our supreme overlords!