Discussion World of Cultivation hype?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Humeniuk, May 27, 2017.

1. Humeniuk

Humeniuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, every so often I either see threads or posts about how awesome WoC is; and people put it on the same level as some of my absolute favourite novels, like ISSTH. But I've never read it. I remember trying to a while back, and the first few chapters that I read seemed to be poorly translated, and I couldn't understand a single thing I read.

Is it worth the hype? Does the translation pick up at some point or did I just read some weird obscure MTL?

2. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    WoC ... Is atleast to my understanding, a relatively 'unique' cultivation novel.

3. Arcadial

Arcadial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Worth the hype. The first ~25 chapters maybe are slow, but the story develops incredibly, good action, good humor, good side characters, a thick plot that keeps the reader guessing. WoC has it all.

4. fingerplay

fingerplay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I can say is its not MTL and there are some similarities with ISSTH like its slow start but if you get past the first 100 chapters then your in for a ride...

5. Zald Ecrofirt

Zald Ecrofirt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first i was like you and didn't understand what was written but you get used to it after a while and the translation became better

6. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not poorly translated or MTL'd, but the translator decided not to translate certain terms. Like Xiuzhe/Yao/Mo instead of Cultivator/Devil/Demon. It's a stylistic choice that makes it more fantasy-sounding and avoids translating certain idioms but makes you remember a lot of terms to start. Keep the glossary up in another tab if you have trouble.

As for the story... yeah, it's pretty good. The protagonist's growth is supported by fortuitous chances like you expect, but his methods are anything but conventional and it makes for an extremely entertaining story. His shamelessness isn't quite up to Meng Hao's level, but it's the closest thing I've read.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's pretty great.
    The trouble in the beginning is that the TL likes to use the Chinese terms, so you gotta learn some new words. After a few dozens chapters you get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore.

8. trias

trias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WoC is one of novel that need Closed Door Cultivation moment to read. it's hard to make breakthrough past ch 100 with so many distraction.

9. FAiri110

FAiri110 Your Secret Stalker

Reading List:
    Link
    WoC has a very slow start (like ISSTH). Unfortunately it has a lot of pinyin term too that will dampened your mood of reading even further. For example Ling Zi(??) or whatever it is called refers to money. Too many pinyin terms messed my head. But, the world-building, plot & fighting is good.

Tips:
    If you're using Chrome, I advised you install this plugin for pinyin replacer.

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    well it's a good read for me due to the fact that the character development here was well established most of the side characters are not just there as a decoration. They have their own scenes and the likes. And also the comedic scenes is a plus for me too

11. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read WoC, but from what I've seen in reviews and heard from others, it seems like it kind of starts to fall apart at some point after the first third. However, the vast majority of cultivation novels suffer from this. If you've read a lot of them and know what to expect, then the bad will probably be outweighed by the good in WoC.

As for the translation, it's my understanding that the translator likes to use Chinese terms instead of english for certain things. For me, this is really offputting, but if you read enough of it then you'll inevitably get used to it.

12. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    All you need to know is
    Jingshi=$$

13. Lantern

Lantern New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it worth it

14. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's awesome. takes awhile to not get lost across unusual terms xiuze, ningmai, jindan, etc :)
    teamwork, depth, world building, villains. it's awesome.

15. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The hype was real when in the early days of novel translations, you get all sorts of "MC is a lucky sob with cheat-like qualities that can overcome anything with a flick of a finger, and the world certainly revolves around him; he is the hero and everyone bows to him".

World of cultivation, doesn't start like that. In fact, He isn't the real main character. The "real" main characters (if we use the description I put above) lie within few side characters that does things on and off the screen. The MC of World of Cultivation faithfully remains a side character, until a certain event forced his hand to take charge of matters himself. Then, he realizes, he's the main character even if he's a side character. (but still behaves like a side character).

If you want something other than the usual "i'm the MC and i'm super lucky with this that this that," , or rather have a thought "What's it like to be the sect management guy, you know, the ones that MCs tend to beat up", then this is the one for you. Back then due to lack of such genres / tropes, World of Cultivation WAS the ONLY hype. These days you have a few selection, but I think only World of Cultivation made it this far (others get delayed, dropped, etc etc)

16. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    So right lol
    Tryed reading it in Class ...Nope

17. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    World of Cultivation is the tale of a disgruntled young man and his quest to be the best farmer he can be, at least if it wasn’t for those annoying people who keep getting in the way of his pursuit of agricultural excellence.

Will conspiring forces turn him into a sword cultivator, or will he manage to throw off the shackles of fate and grow the best darn crops in the sect? Those air-headed cultivators dream of too much nonsense and don’t know how to live properly, they need to get a real job to earn some jingshi for a living like a normal person.

Cause if this it took me ages to start reading like is it a Cultivation Novel or a farming one lol

Fuyuneko likes this.
  18. wushia

wushia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, WoC is really a refresher from your typical CN and worth enough for you to get used to some chinese words. I was like what is that ge or mobei, or jingshi at first but then if you read on then you will understand all the meanings even without a glossary.

the MC is "genius" in bargaining and has high affinity with old antique (you'll know later, it's mildly spoiler). not straight up super OP with cheat item or knowledge, but yeah he got served by plot from time to time but it's sill good. the real OP characters are some sidekicks so it's quite funny. the story is good and the power system is nice and clear.
    try it for several tens of chapters, and if you get hooked rejoice as it has 700+ chapters already

19. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew whats ge,mobei and jingshi but theres a lot mire names and since im reading on phone i cant rly look at a glossary every single time lol

20. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too hard to read the translation, after read it for hundreds of chapters, then stopped for a.while, hard to read it again. Fucking translator make it hard for us reader. I can underatand if he dont want to use demon or kingdom and replace it with jie or something else. But he also translate many others that dont familiar too.