Discussion Absurd things you have seen written in novels (always absurd not just when taken out of context)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lithit, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    er - IIRC; and I may not - it was more that a sword thrust or violent injury could be healed after resummoning the soul and sticking it back in the body, but something like poison would result in the person just resurrecting, then promptly dying again, since there was no way of removing the poison. More a case of Arbitrary Phlebotinum. (Maybe Missapplied)

Arcturus likes this.
  2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most things young, male virgin authors write about women sadly. Especially in harem series. I assume its a culture thing (since I'm mostly reading foreign authors at the moment), but even so, I have a hard time believing that every confident, independent, intelligent woman is just yearning for a muscled maniac to come into her life, belittle her accomplishments and tell her what to do, think and say before screwing her brains out and forgetting her existence so that she can pine away for him while contemplating his awesomeness for all of eternity. (slight exaggeration)

Thankfully, few of these series actually have important female characters so I generally don't have to suffer through this stuff for long.

moto and Satan like this.
  3. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that would have made sense, but the MC doesn't give that as a reason. Also, I'm pretty sure the MC had ways to remove poison, but I guess that's just one more assumption I shouldn't have made about the series. I would definitely say missapplied since the death of the side character seemed to be not only pointless, but hurt my image of the other characters and the author's writing.

Jarrow likes this.
  4. SilverxCalibur

SilverxCalibur ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of them even sound sick, with their freakishly "white as jade" and "transparent" skin.

Also, one of the most common thing for MCs to do is smell their "feminine fragrance". I've read that phrase so many times that i'm now disgusted by it and get the urge to vomit when I see it.

5. lordfifththeparrot

lordfifththeparrot New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing is more absurd than the MC plot armor...(y)
    [​IMG]

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and the fact that you can smell their virginity in a lot of these series is equally ridiculous.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  7. Anown

Anown Test

Reading List:
    Link
    And those pheonix-like eyes.
    Seriously... no human-like eyes? [e.x : jackie chan like eyes, etc-etc]

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that maybe they use too much mascara. Makes their eyes look like wings ;)

9. crazyequalgenius

crazyequalgenius Member

Reading List:
    Link
    human meat jelly parrot form

10. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm starting to find it absurd that almost every transported or summoned novel relates the other worlds currency to ours. Why? Does it really matter that 2 Gold is equivalent to 20000 yen or something like that. Especially when there is no way to convert from one currency to another. Isn't enough to say an average starting weapon cost 150 gold. Then there is the constant progression of coins. 100/10000 copper = 10/100 Silver = 1 Gold. It's so linear, that it seems unrealistic. I get that it's based on the metric system but how many of these worlds really seem like they would have an idea of the benefits of using a standard measurement system.

11. NGCleric

Reading List:
    Link
    I know what you mean. I think it's done mainly so we have an easy understanding of the currency value by relating it to ours, but it does get tiring to see it all the time. Linear progression is probably done just because it's way easier to convert them to each other. D&D makes use of it EXCEPT for electrum pieces and I always end up forgetting they even exist (I think 3 ep are worth 1 gold).

12. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it just serves to make things seem less realistic. I get that it's easier, but should it really be? Also it isn't as though most stories with systems like that don't end up using only the highest currency most of the time.

13. littleshanks

littleshanks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People being squished into meat patties. Not really absurd in the sense that it's too ridiculous to happen. I just find it funny because they give the image of people being squished into hamburger patties.

14. NGCleric

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I see what you mean there. As for if authors should take the easy way out, I think it depends on the story. If the story deals with economics or is largely slice-of-life, then it should not have a consistent conversion. If the story doesn't really focus on those aspects, then its less important and the flat conversion means fewer unimportant things to clog up the story.

15. MataMelirik

MataMelirik *wink*wink*

Reading List:
    Link
    for me its "if i beat you, call me grandfather"
    thats totally absurd, i mean whats cool about someone call you gramps? its an insult!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.