Discussion An evaluation of dropped novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fan2zz, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoru

Yoru God of the New World

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should really think first about the translators life and everything before making this thread.

2. nyuu1224

nyuu1224 Heaven's Grip System Engineer

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried......
    *sob *sob

lucjanssens likes this.
  3. Deleted member 43009

Deleted member 43009 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Then go translate your own novel and see how hard it is

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Talking from personal experience here, I started making some MTLs recently, a single chapter takes about 6-8h for me to translate it... Yep, 6-8h, sometimes I spent 25minutes on a single paragraph.

Wanna know how much I earned so far in... About a week doing it? (I released 2 chapters so far) 0.8$

Yeah, ad revenue surely gives plenty of money, doesn't it? I'm earning about 0.4$/day of work, seems like quite a wonderful amount for a full time job, doesn't it?

And... You want to tell me 3 months is too little? This isn't work, I can't pay my bills with this. Sure, I'd love to, it's a lot more fun than going to classes in uni, but it's not reasonable to expect people to meet your tine demands just because you are spoiled by translations made by companies, not people.

5. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It says one a week can get you by, so you pass. Be proud of yourself.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Fan2zz likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I didn't understand your comment... What do you mean with it? *tilts head*

7. Overclock

Reading List:
    Link
    Misspelled. Its

,so you pass.

In the post it says one chapter a week is okay. Personally I think its praise worthy as well.

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, I don't care for that, I just wanted to point out how absurd his points are.

I'm intending to increase my release pace though, last week was just a bit busy.

Fan2zz and Damyabo like this.
  9. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    B-b-b-but... How about if the translator got a serious case of RL? Or struck by procrastinationitis?

I think not every translator could spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer, translating things... I mean... Some of us got RL work, right?
    It's not like everyone here is a HS/college student translating for money........ Think about all the hobbyist!

Harvestasya, FranckOA, Fan2zz and 3 others like this.
  10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs* Take all the time you need Onii-san! I'll still be patiently waiting for future Mira releases!! \(^^)/

Fan2zz and runsing like this.
  11. limostn

limostn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man it would be really funny if this actually get enforced at the pickup request section. Would be a fun way to troll the mods though.

On a serious note, this wouldn't work simply because the amount of translators versus novels waiting to be translated are too low currently. Just take a look at the pickup request section.

Fan2zz likes this.
  12. Yoru

Yoru God of the New World

Reading List:
    Link
    I think your set of rules is too much. Translators has their own life too.

P.S I bet translators are lurking and watching our every move. Abort mission. You don't want your fave novels to be dropped.

Fan2zz and runsing like this.
  13. Overclock

Reading List:
    Link
    Too late for me. All of mine have been dropped or are in "not yet dropped novel statatus" limbo. SAVE YOURSELF!!!

lucjanssens, Wujigege and Fan2zz like this.
  14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not even convinced that the three month rule have much effect on translations in the first place, especially as it isn't really a rule outside of the pickup section on NUF.
    If a novel is popular I really doubt it would take three months for someone to pick it up despite informal etiquette telling them to wait, unless there is no translator interested in the project, but in such cases the three month "rule" doesn't have any role to play anyway.
    There is no point really in trying to make up strict rules and guidelines when there isn't enough translators for all these novels anyway.

AliceShiki and Fan2zz like this.
  15. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 3 months is not rules, is guidelines for posting request in NUF. Even novel that is abandoned for more than 3 months may not have new translator. Check the pickup request and compare how many of them are continued

OTOH, there is no rules that prevent TL group to pick any novel. I can pick BTTH and start translating it (if I know how to read Chinese) and no one can stop me. Sure I'll get cursed, mocked and maybe have no reader but no one can stop me from doing that.

So if you think that a novel is worth to be "picked up" you can contact your fav TL group to do it. If they want then congratz, if not then keep trying if you still can't wait. The TL group have their own calculation on how to decide which novel to translate.

I've mention it before and I'll mention it again here. Picking up a translated novel is not as easy as you think. Most of the picked up novel get re-translated from chapter 1. Only some that doesn't do that and normally it will confused the TL or the reader (or both)

16. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    =-= So complicated...
    I would just drop everything at that rate...
    And go back to being a reader instead of TLing...
    I'm so behind on all my novels, anime and games... I kinda wanna go back to slacking days...

As a translator that has picked up a couple dropped novels... we have either started over or I have to go through all the old chapters to keep things consistent... do you know how much time that spent me.... :sleep:

If my translator goes MIA, I also take over their novel and work on it...

17. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are no punishments in my statement. Its just whether or not a novel could be picked up by someone else or not. No one has to or maybe never will pick it up if they can't meet my so called unreasonable standards, so they can keep doing what they are doing. I or no one else can stop them as you said right?

They won't respond a lot of the time, so as you say "The world isn't easy as it looks like". Its like on RRL when authors write amazing novels, disappear, devoted fans ask if this amazing story is dropped, and they won't respond at all. I have seen it dozens of times and the hate for RRL means its just not me. Still get what you mean, but I am someone who sponsors chapters for translators I like.

Under your chair. Liked the comment.

You underestimate the suppor for the three month rule. One time someone did a translation of the LN version of a semi-popular novel when there was already a WN version being translated, and within the hour he first posted a chapter he got bombed by comments and post by people who did not know the difference. Not a lie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  18. BlackBlade

BlackBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a proposed new rule regarding the 3 month thing as well. The 3 month thing should only be applied IF the translator has translated atleast 50 chapters. I'm tired of situations where someone will translate 10 chapters then disappear for 2 3/4th months then translate 1 chapter then disappear for another 3 months. A certain mod/staff here at NU even chewed new translators out over picking up the novel after 2 3/4th months had passed, pressured them to drop it because they didnt wait for the 10 chapter guy to have the full 3 months although he had just barely started translating it before vanishing, then after they dropped it it was once again dropped by the original translator for another 3 months.

The rules of the site were followed to the translators and the readers detriment. Thus I propose that when a novel has less than 50 chapters translated and the tl hasn't put a large quantity of work into the project, they should only have 1 month of inactivity before it can get picked up. Otherwise you can have a translator translate 4-5 chapters and "claim" a novel, then force everyone to wait for huge amounts of time, then drop in right before the 3 months ends and translate a quick new chapter to keep their claim.

19. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you want too much from them. <.<
    My thoughts exactly.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, like I said there is consequences of TL inactive novel, but no one can stop them if you are willing to. I think there is one guys that do that to ATG and although he got spammed, people still read since it free and one chapter faster than the current one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.