How do these novels even get to the top.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by wazyx93, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueBrute

BlueBrute Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not just the girls, silly :oops:

2. Faw

Faw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Things happen in Close combat mage, you might not think they are great, but things do happen. Now Slave Harem, that is a novel where NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL.

3. SilverTap

SilverTap Teenage Hand Model

Reading List:
    Link
    Child of light isn't at the top, but i would understand if it was. Just because it is refreshing, only because of that, it has no equal...

I agree, but also feel relieved by that sometimes...

4. ghostcat

ghostcat Member of the Royal Society of Napping

Reading List:
    Link
    well first thing first... hello there!
    first to state a side note: everyone is entitled to have an opinion and also to ignore or accept others opinion, just try to remember that as you can ignore others opinion you must be ready to endure the anger if someone does the same to you (well assuming you are mature enough to do so...).

then starting with my opinion:
    rankings are there to show what's popular with the users/visitors and not to show which novels are better.... and i believe that there is more fun in finding those that are hidden gems (at least for you).
    and just because someone believes that a novel is better than other (and it could be) it may be a pain to read for someone else who is searching for the total opposite kind of story...

as for me i like the novels you mentioned (except kuma that i haven't read yet haha), they are novels for the "i have read all the high tension novels so let's relax a little" time or the "i want to read something short" kind of mood....

end of small wall of text, enjoy your novels (or whatever you are doing)!

fireclaws and MadHatter like this.
  5. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    As mentioned earlier, the novels are ranked on how many people read those novels.

If something is widely read, then more people are likely to suggest it to people, which in turn increases the overall reader/viewer count.

Also, the more chapters that have been released, the longer the time period that the novel can build up its reader/viewer count and get reviews for their novel. More reviews (especially positive reviews) has a tend to increase reader/viewer count.

Also, if you have a popular series (say like Coiling Dragon) and decide to expand (say gain the translations to ATG and ISSTH), your massive amount of readers most probably start reading your other series before looking around at other websites (because they have an idea of the quality or just lazy). This in turn makes those added series popular and increase their reader/viewer counts.

Combining these factors (plus others), you see that there is a spiraling effect of increasing reader/viewers thus increasing those series rankings. Some times this helps good stories get a large foundation of readers and other times it propels not so great novels into the limelight (but that is typically each reader's opinion).

This is why many small translator groups try to post on one website in hopes that a few popular novels helps the readers/viewers for these other lesser known projects. Even animes are scheduled at certain times to help their viewership (best example was Full Metal Alchemist [the original] was shown right before Gundam Seed [which Gundam has a large following] in a hope to get more people to watch it]. The larger the site, the more viewers, the more donations or ad money they get and the more advertising they can do to get more money. There is nothing new about this. The main problem is the smaller scale projects (btw Thanks to all the translators out their that keep doing a great job for little to no reimbursement. You are definitely not getting "payed" for what your work is worth.) can't compete with those larger multi-group projects in both advertising or getting famous projects (exceptions are around like translators for CCM and PMG). Thus their works are typically not rated as highly as other project from other groups.

Now if you want a specific type of novel to gain viewers (thus ranking) without being part of the translation business, your best bet is to start creating opinion and latest chapter threads on websites like NUF and to suggest to those works to others on "looking for" threads. Word of mouth will help a lot of these translator groups and the translators will be very appreciate (and letting them have more time to translate).

Shio likes this.
  6. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing simply is quite the good stress reliever for an author. I'm actually lenient towards CoL because I see it really wasn't his most detailed work...

Now Mad God I can't forgive. That thing was basically every chuuni's daydream...

7. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I like Slice of Life... My usual life is pretty hectic, so I like the slow plot where I can enjoy the world and the character interaction... I usually skip long repetitive fighting scene (in my mind I just sum it up: MC beat enemy)...
    I also play RPG for the story not gameplay... so I usually cheat the game by make my character Lv99, max money, full skill point, etc and storm rolled any random encounter to just view the cutscenes....... Hey this could be a good novel idea (adding this to my novel writing notebook)...

8. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause you have shitty taste, whatever you like is boring @wazyx93 you just whine and go nowhere, where are the 100 of novels? I'm waiting for them!

Now that the snark/satire is out of the way, maybe you'd actually calm your tits down.
    I've said once, I've said it twice, I've said to so many self-righteous idiot that I should probably have it on copypaste >.>
    YOUR TASTE ISN'T THE ONE TRUE TASTE, OTHERS MIGHT LIKE SHIT YOU HATE.

Like, fuck, I hate Twilight and shit and I WOULD shit on it, but I wouldn't say the people that enjoy it fuck up with MY reading list. Literature is NOT a zero-sum game, an author that's good at one genre that you hate might be HORRIBLE at the genre you like. If you've a niche taste, it is up to YOU (and those in the niche) to expend the market and promote the demand should they want more shit or look for shit that's already in the genre that you don't know about.

I've really, really niche taste. To the point that the series I liked and worked on (this includes scanlation shit) are very polar. You've a lot of people liking it, or hating it, very few "meh"s. So I actually go out of my way to fucking LOOK INTO SHIT THAT I LIKE. I jump on people when they've recommendation on shit that's kinda obscure and I've been looking and throw it on a bloody list. It's not reader #1-10000 fault that there's so few shit I personally like out there, claiming otherwise would make a narcissistic asshole.

Don't, be, that, asshole.

fireclaws and MadHatter like this.
  9. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of the listed top novels, I've only read Death March. I enjoy Death March cause the MC is op enough to do whatever he wants, but has a functional moral compass and laid back attitude. He wants to travel and experience the different cultures and foods, but is willing to step in and stop large evil things because he can and he cares. I don't read Death March to see the MC struggle against opposition (ignoring trying to break his loli curse), but to watch him steam roll whatever gets in his way of enjoying life or causing harm to others. I can sympathize with not understanding why people like certain stories, I have one I can think of. It's popular enough that many people rate it at 4 or 5 stars, but I thought was terrible. It comes down to taste and what the reader wants out of the story.

10. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because your little niche of novels fall out of the mainstream, it doesn't make your novels any better.

Edit* tell us what novels you think should be promoted more in the rankings

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :) how kind to say I'm still 10, I feel much younger
    Other have stated why those novel are popular so I just wanna say
    Just deal with it :LOL:
    Except you also part from 80% category you stated yourself then it's okay to rant around like a troll because children around that age really like make ruckus :coffee:

12. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    OP insults anyone that doesn't agree with him/her.
    [​IMG]

13. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    really no need to argue with such people. If you put something up, at least have the courage to defend it. If you can't defend your argument with reason and logic, you lose, simple as that.

fireclaws and rpgbscout like this.
  14. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. And let's be honest. In terms of the top novels, there's already a variety of taste in it. Death March and the Man Picked Up by Gods are both very fun slice of life novels to read. The plot isn't too serious, its not meant to be. Same with Slave Harem.

Don't read CCM, COL and other xianxia/wuxia novels. Haven't read them for a long time since the story got a bit repetitive for me. But I don't necessary think its a bad thing. As long as they're not identical and the storylines actually differ somewhat then its fine.

Everyone has different tastes. The fact that something like Loli Manko is written shows that there's an audience for it. It's not for me. But there's no need to insult people that are into that sort of stuff. There's no need to get mad over that sort of stuff either.

15. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    .....I hate how that is true. But i can't complain cause i'm a pleb.

16. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    deal with it, some of your friends probably like to watch almost every anime of the season and we all know that only 1~2 are worth your time, while the rest are thrash.

17. SilverTap

SilverTap Teenage Hand Model

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read mad god yet, but i read DD, SWYZ, SA and CoL, the first three are all well written stories, well detailed... TJSS has a real book writer skills... But CoL is just a stress reliever, a walk in the park... And we musn't forget, TJSS write two long chapters per day...

18. wazyx93

wazyx93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Show me where i specifically said that your taste suck and my is more refined, all i said is that there are novels in bottom ranks that are far better overall in my opinion and deserve better rank.
    Also when i said OMG you don't agree with me?? <--- didn't mean that you are retards because of that but it meant that i'm surprised how many people disagree and think that my reason for disliking these novels is crap.

19. BlueBrute

BlueBrute Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I'm sorry if someone likes these novels that i listed but its like 80% of people in this community are children of age of 10." - using the age as an euphemism to "retarded" (the need of mental development)
    "So many don't agree with me?? No wonder top rank is f***ed up. " - pretty much 'your taste suck' in other worlds
    "I feel jealous that i don't have same taste as you, then i would have so many novels to enjoy....." - if take this sentence out of context, it doesn't sound that bad, but when you are complaining about others people preferences, it's pretty offensive (and you know it).
    There you go, boy.:D
    Also, it would be wiser to state good ones (for comparison). Clarify us what would be god-tier to be on top.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    sumguy and Parth37955 like this.
  20. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    It was your tone and listing examples of what novel you think are poorly written.You basically indirectly told the people whom read those stories that their taste sucks.

Due to to those novels being popular (so many people have read them), you basically spit in their faces for no apparent reason. That is what started the hate in this thread.

A better way of starting this thread would be by asking a question of how novels are rated in the first place and how can I increase the ranking of my favorite type of novels. Don't try to impose your opinions on to others by saying that certain novels suck and then ask why people read them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.