Recommendations fanfiction recommendations

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by unlucky, Jun 25, 2017.

1. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i am looking for SI or OC fanfiction novels(preferably SI but beggars cant be choosers) (it doesnt matter whether the source of fiction is a game,novel or manga)
    my requirements for the novels are the following:
    1- a male lead preferably with a neutral/self centered or evil personality( just be realistic and not some messiah out to save everyone)(edit-i prefer calm or collected MC to hot headed ones)
    2- likable character interactions and believable romance
    3-completed or updated at regular pace(regular doesn't mean fast a novel that gives a chapter within a specific interval every month or two is regular, just don't give dropped or hiatus novels please it drives me mad not to know the continuation of a good story)
    i will post the links to some of the novels i am currently reading they don't match all the requirements i set but they should provide a general idea about what i am looking for in novels
    Threadmarks for: Factory Isolation (SI Multicross) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: But Mom, I Don't Wanna be a Pirate (One Piece SI) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: This Bites! (One Piece SI) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: Roll the Dice on Fate (Naruto SI) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: In my time of troubles (DnD SI sorta) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: Will-Powered (One Piece SI) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: Kaleidoscope (Naruto SI) | Spacebattles Forums
    Threadmarks for: Fate - Stay - Write - Go! [Fate/Stay Night AU/SI] | Sufficient Velocity
    Threadmarks for: Sleight Advantage [Naruto Reincarnation SI] | Sufficient Velocity
    The Root of Darkness Chapter 37: Wizarding World's Reaction, a Naruto + Harry Potter Crossover fanfic | FanFiction
    Savage Divinity | RoyalRoadL
    Dex's Adventure Through The Elemental Nations | RoyalRoadL
    thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. CandyAddict

CandyAddict Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On fanfiction.net, 'Seventh Horucrux', 'The Evil Overlord List', 'Dreaming of Sunshine', 'Shadowed Sun', Rotten Rowan', 'Sakura' (by same author as prev two', )
    On Spacebattles,: 'Don't be an Impel Downer',
    On Sufficient Velocity (quests for one piece): 'A Man's Dream Never Dies', 'Lucci Quest'
    THose are just off the top of my head. I know more if you've read them.

(Recommend some good ones for me too :[ I've read all the ones you posted)

unlucky likes this.
  3. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.hpmor.com
    (Lifted this bit from Wikipedia)
    Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, often abbreviated HPMOR, is a Harry Potter fan fiction by Eliezer Yudkowsky.[1] It adapts the story of Harry Potter by attempting to explain wizardry through the scientific method.[2] It was published as a serial from 28 February 2010[3] through to 14 March 2015.[4]

PurposeEdit
    Yudkowsky wrote the story to promote the rationality skills he advocated on his site LessWrong.[1] Yudkowsky chose Harry Potter because "I'd been reading a lot of Harry Potter fan fiction at the time the plot of HPMOR spontaneously burped itself into existence inside my mind, so it came out as a Harry Potter story. ... there's a large number of potential readers who would enter at least moderately familiar with the Harry Potter universe." He states that his work on rationality "informs every shade of how the characters think, both those who are allegedly rational and otherwise." He also used it to assist the launch of the Center for Applied Rationality, which teaches courses based on his work.[3]

PlotEdit

Unlike J. K. Rowling's original books, in which the orphaned Harry Potter is raised by the abusive Dursley family, the Harry Potter character in HPMOR is raised by an Oxford scientist, and is trained by his parents in science and rational thinking before learning about magic and traveling to the wizarding school Hogwarts.[4] The story takes place during a single year, covering the same time period as the first volume of Rowling's original series.

Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres is the adopted son of Oxford University Professor Michael Verres-Evans and his wife Petunia Evans-Verres (Petunia Dursley in the original books), Harry's biological aunt. He initially endeavours to bring the scientific method to magic. The story proceeds to politics in Magical Britain, with Harry liaising with Quirrell, unaware he is possessed by Lord Voldemort.

ReceptionEdit
    HPMOR was reviewed positively in June 2010, soon after it started, by science fiction author David Brin.[5] According to The Atlantic, HPMOR "caused uproar in the fan fiction community, drawing both condemnations and praise".[6]

The Harry character is described by Vice as "a miniature Ravenclaw Spock with a taste for deductive reasoning" and the book as reading "like the originals after a lifetime spent playing Nintendo's Brain Training." [3]

According to a review in the Hindustan Times, HPMOR is a "thinking person’s story about magic and heroism", and the conflict between good and evil is portrayed as a battle between knowledge and ignorance.[7]

(I should also note thst this story has some of the most well written characters I have ever read period not just in amateur fan/web fiction)

unlucky likes this.
  4. unlucky

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for suggestions but arent all fanficton.net suggestions after the evil Overlord list with Female MC , thanks anyway

5. unlucky

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the recommendation

6. sythcake

sythcake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unlucky likes this.
  7. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask what SI and OC stand for? Also I'm wondering if you have any favorite fanfics you'd be willing to recommend as your requirements make me think we might have similar tastes.

Edit: Also you should vist the author of hpmors fanfiction.net profile and look through his favorites section for some good ones though check before start reading because i think quite a few haven't been updated in years.

unlucky likes this.
  8. unlucky

Reading List:
    Link
    SI stands for self Insert and and OC as far as i know stand for original characters
    as for favorites i am a very picky reader as in i only read novels that suit my taste i can force myself to read something that i dont like for a while but i will always drop it or leave it at some point so the above list is both my favorite list and reading list.

9. unlucky

Reading List:
    Link