Discussion Recommend Underrated/Undiscovered Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athlonkmf

athlonkmf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    混沌雷修 http://www.biquege.com/hundunleixiu/ (loosely: Chaos Thunder Cultivator)

plot: his parents were the geniuses of the tao sect. But they were apparently killed while on a mission when he was barely 6. As he apparently did not excel in any of the 5 elements, in fact, all 5 elements are in balance in his body. Thus our fatty is deemed to be trash and does not deserve the respect his parents had.
    He is allowed to have one task, to collect garbage of the sect until he reaches the initial test-age where he has to proof to be worthy to stay in the sect.
    Our fatty has no choice but to cultivate the only heritage his parents gave him. A mysterious black pearl.
    Unfortunately for him, this pearl seems to be only useful for... collecting garbage...

Review: awesome epicness. It's a xianxia story comparable to ISSTH, only more ruthless and fun. We get to see the obvious weak to strong plot, but also large scale interstellar battle strategy. Spanning several "generations".

I find it very entertaining and detailed. The "there are even stronger beings"-plot is explained and used in the smoothest way I've ever seen in a XianXia-story. You KNOW there are stronger ones, and you'll accept it much easier.
    This is what you get when you merge ISSTH, ATG and Mushokou Tensei together.

This novel is one of my favorites which I've reread a couple of times. This novel is one of my favorites which I've reread a couple of times. I guess it's because the MC is just relatable. The MC is not naturally arrogant and ruthless, but his life forces him to become one. He is not saintly nice, he can't even be considered a good person. Just your average but smart dude who just happens to come accross some lifechanging events.

2. Aszure

Aszure #^#^

Reading List:
    Link
    The Last King on Royalroad, it's a fanfic but it managed to grab my attention after only one chapter. Can be compared to the known Xianxias in terms of quality

3. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    Infinity tomes

the Mc is pretty OP ( normal) but totally nice (I don't wanna kill ) is somethings annoying as fuck I hope he starts killing at some point ^^

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    I like TTNH. Read it as soon as the chapters come out. Its funny and has action. Chapters can be short in terms of things that are actually happening, but author still manages it to be good.

Unfortunately, the whole bordering pedo is kinda starting to get on my nerves.

forgotten likes this.
  7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    okay, should be over eventually. She'll have to return to her clan eventually.

8. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality, Demon's Diary, and The Amber Sword.

I think these were underrated because they lacked enough chapters at the time. But now that there are chapters to back them up, I hope people are starting to read them. They are interesting.

Demon's diary is interesting every step of the way. Has some traditional aspects in terms of xianxia/wuxia, but has many unique parts that make it not read as so, and keeps you engrossed.

ARMJI, is also interesting in the fact that the way the MC works deviates so largely from everyone else in the novel's path to power. The story has yet to consolidate an understanding of the world. Too mysterious in what could be, but this definitely does not subtract any interest.

The Amber Sword: Back in time? Love it!! And its not so straight forward like other back in time novels. They provide enough problems, mysteries, and new adventures and possible futures that make your blood boil.

doubledd and Parth37955 like this.
  9. doubledd

doubledd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality and Demon Diary, seconded. Really interesting world building.

Saint likes this.
  10. Archerreborn2

Archerreborn2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring
    The Girl Who Ate a Death God
    Both by the same author, the translation is quite well done and for the most part, it flows well when read. The biggest thing about these two novels is that the world is well built. There aren't any concrete good/bad guys in the sense that the world will end if one side wins or something. The characters have a lot of depth, especially the side characters in the sense that they evolve over the novel and change as people. Definitely an enjoyable read.

My Disciple Died Yet Again
    The start is a bit slow, but this is definitely a must read if you've read a lot of Xianxia and are tired of a lot of the tropes involved. It draws attention to a lot of the issues with Xianxia protagonists and brings modern morality into the equation, so no slaughtering the villain and their entire family sort of thing. The main character also gets a bit more mature as the story progresses.

Ame no Hi no Iris
    A story about an Android and her experiences. It's pretty tragic, and a good read. It's one volume and fully translated.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
    A very good story that is extremely under-appreciated. It's genre is mystery and it does it quite well, the first volume had me guessing almost until the last chapter. The evolution of the characters over the series is also really well done and somewhat scary. Fully translated.

A Step into the Past
    Translation wise, this is probably the worst of the bunch, and the beginning of the story is somewhat weak, with a lot of sex(although that calms down pretty quickly). The story grows better though, with a lot of intrigue and politics and the both the main characters and the villains grow. This story has some really good villains and people can change sides incredibly quickly. Fully translated.

Yggdrasil likes this.
  11. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    rakuin no monshou
    Don't really see people talk about it but its a pretty interesting war/political novel about a gladitor that is being used as a body double for the heir to the throne. He basically starts building an army and handling rebellions, seige, and covert missions using strategy.

Genjitsushugisha no oukokukaizouki

Another kingdom management novel but its not war like yet. Basically a hero was summoned from you guessed it "japan" who aspired to be a government worker hoping to have a somewhat average life. Gets called by the king and was told of a ultimatum; hand you over to the empire or face invasion. After his ideas were thrown at the king. He agrees with his wife to withdraw from being king and lets the hero take over (weird right? But apparently the queen wore the pants and she judged they both sucked at this and decided to let someone else take the burden). Kingdom close to crippling collapse and its up to the mc to go and fix up the kingdom through reforms. Basically think of common sense of dukes daughter. Mc isn't a perv, more of a shy guy due to inexperience, but isn't dense and somewhat acknowledges the girls. Yes it looks like a harem but there really no harem hi jinx. The mc, the girls, and side characters do have personalitys and not just fueled by tropes, you can see that each character has different personalities.

There is world building in this but doesn't drown you in it, mc isn't a justice tard either, and doesn't solve everything using magic or a tool that just magically fixes everything.

forgotten likes this.
  12. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, if it's about 'novels' n general, rather then just translated 'novels';

Mother of Learning -- https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/1/Mother-of-Learning
    I'm not going to spoil anything, and since I'm bad at describing, I'll just say this quote to describe it: Repetition is the mother of learning
    Anyways,
    Cons:
    1. The name sounds lame, but the quote well help you figure out why it's named that
    2. Though the start is slow, it builds up and there are quite a few foreshadows in it.
    3. It updates slowly (around every 21 now instead of month or two), and has minor grammatical errors (since the author is trying to cater to the 'snot-nosed brats' that complain about the speed)
    4. Only 52 chapters, around middle to end of the 2nd of the trilogy.

Pros:
    1. The author, imo, knows how to write good stories (MC isn't OP, the world is built upon, no plain railroading, that sort of stuff)
    2. Read some of the reviews: https://www.fictionpress.com/r/2961893/ (Warning: They may contain spoilers) -- Most of them seem to be 'good', though there are complaints about 'romance'(lust imo), speed of writing, how the start is slow, and a few others that I'd say is hard to write (ex. personification of characters[speech mainly])

13. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only think of Terror Infinity.

The characters are developed properly, everyone have their places in the team to make it function. The trains of thought is well written according to the respective intelligence of the person - genius actually get to manage planning instead of MC magically pop up a winning plan out of nowhere.

I see neither plot hole nor idiot ball, which are the main reason I drop stuff halfway.

Not sure what else to say, I think the guys reviewing the novel mentioned just about everything there is.

14. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
  15. omegazx

omegazx The Magic Mech Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Rokujouma no Shinryakusha. It's a harem but all the girls get an equal amount of screentime and no new girl every volume nonsense like A Certain Magical Index. Also all the characters are able to hold their own in battle and don't have to rely on the MC to fight. MC is a badass though and his primary equipment is a sword and what I can only describe as Ironman's armor.

16. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heaven's Calamity is definetely need more love..it like God and Devil World combined with Reincanator..
    The story is great and need more support for more translations

17. dustmite

dustmite On a roll

Reading List:
    Link
    Law of the Devil needs more love...

18. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love this thread.

For me, its hard to judge which books are underrated since I just read whatevet regardless of ratings.

19. athlonkmf

athlonkmf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    剑破仙惊 swords breaks, immortals scared (google translate...)

Yip Yuen is a very good doctor. Even though he is only 14-15 years, he has been learning medicine with his grandpa since he was 3 years old. His grandpa is a legendary doctor, of the Tao level (only one step before the ultimate level)
    But his grandpa mysteriously died after trying to cure a mysterious person and Yip Yuen is now making a living with his uncle. His grandpa left the first half of his doctor's manual to Yip Yuen. The other half has been snatched by a former friend of his grandpa.
    Yip Yuen has to get strong to retrieve the 2nd half of the manual. Lucky for Yip Yuen, the first half of the manual contains a special accupunture method which allows him to cultivate much faster than normal people.

When his uncle suddenly disappeared, leaving only a note with the word "flee!" on it, Yip Yuen is left on his own.

Yip Yuen finally made it into a sect, but was forced to join a waning division of the sect where he is the sole student of a beautiful woman. His master...

Why is this novel good? The author made sure that every character has their own story and personality. In his own words (in one of the comments) "I don't want the female leads to be a mere name. A vase which just follows the MC from beginning to end. I hope to create characters which are unique and will be remembered after finishing to books. Not due their names, but due to their personality"
    And thus the characters are very diverse and has multidimensional personalities.
    The "cheat" of the MC does not help him too much. He needs to work hard to gain powers.
    The story is made in such a way that the MC is constantly pushed to go further, never able to stay at a place for too long. The mysteries (like his grandpa's death) is not a line to follow, but are threads in a web. The conclusion of one mystery reveals other paths, which might intertwine with other story lines.

But the first 20 chapters are very confusing as it seems as if you've jumped in the story in the middle. There is no proper introduction. In fact, for a couple of chapters I didn't even know who the MC is going to be. You start with the backstory of a side character. (just like a spider web which has no true beginning)

20. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/sweet-reincarnation/

Because it's almost like Knights & Magic but with a MC with a pastry obsession instead of a mech obsession. MC named Pastry and a dad named Casserole. Building up his poor estate so he can create an estate devoted to pastries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.