Wuxiaworld's Formal Response (With Screenshots)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by rwxwuxiaworld, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not a mod.

kenar, qwertzuiop, Myriadfold and 4 others like this.
  2. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Plus, mods are perfectly capable of holding a non-neutral opinion. They aren't robots.

The core bit is the actions that are taken.

Parth37955, qwertzuiop, Aiiee and 2 others like this.
  3. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Number only usernames are very often chinese people, i don't know why they do it.

4. falaise

falaise Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what I meant is that as far as I know(so I might be wrong) the way it works in the UK is that the ISP blocks you from going to the web address so changing what server they are based from makes no difference.

5. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, I cover that in the second paragraph.

Doing so requires a court order, and both parties want to avoid that at this stage.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  6. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh hey @brasca123, congrats for the promotion!

Aiiee likes this.
  7. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha My friend, my fellow human being what have i done to deserve this disgrace...
    I merely tried to make an account as fast as possible without the hassle of trying to come up with a original name, because i did not think i would keep using this forum.

But your post does have a valid point nonetheless.

Got myself some giggles while reading it though

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *giggles* I'm no mod, nor am I a guy. xP

I do wonder if it's really that hard to remember 123 though... >.>
    Teehee, thanks! \(^^)/

9. Aiiee

Aiiee ▪ Akki's Fan ▪(´⊃ᴗ⊂`)▪ Sneaky ▪

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:
    :aww: Mod Brasca~
    [​IMG]

*glomps the mod*
    Does Oba-sama know her granddaughter is now a mod?:cookie:

99 others and AliceShiki like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Teeheehee, hooray for the promotion!

Obaa-sama is probably stalking this thread, so... Maybe?

*hugs Aie-chan*

99 others and Aiiee like this.
  11. Hydrophius

Hydrophius Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to make a account when i read this, is it just me or does this look a lot like Digital Homicide?

20 <- Im reading ALL of the responses, my current page, just need to remember.

12. Lemonadez

Lemonadez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are wrong Lulz. The Author are the owner of the novel because they are the one who write the story. Qidian can never take away it from the owner. All the novel writer on Qidian then must be stupid to sell all rights to Publisher.. The Contract leak you see is for translator/editor.

[​IMG]

Qidian stated that translator are allowed to publish *IF* they have legal rights from the owner of the novel.

13. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to mention.. that is Qidian's contract with their translators not WuxiaWorld's.. in which case I find it very hard to believe that Ren would pay Qidian to host his translations on their service.

14. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not how it works.

Authors will typically sign with a publisher. Part of their contract will dictate how much of the the rights will remain with the author and how much will go to the publisher. Often times, the Author will do write as a work for hire, meaning that all rights transfer to the publisher.
    In other cases, partial rights will transfer to the publisher, or in rare cases the author will only grant rights temporarily.

But it's not just totally possible for the right to be permanently with the publisher, but quite common especially with QI.

This is true. because translations are a derivative work, they must have permission from the original's rights holder in order to publish. This is why WW sought a license for their novels, so their existing publication would become legal.

However that does not mean the Original's rightholder has any right to the translated text. This is wholly owned by the translator, unless they've sold that right to another party.

No one can publish a translation unless they have permission from the translator.

99 others, qwertzuiop, Stark3 and 4 others like this.
  15. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Lulz" here too, and an industrial amount of it just to show how great I am somehow for no reason whatsoever.
    I was talking about the ORIGINAL novels. More often than not (i.e. pretty much in every case, unless the author is already very famous), ownership belongs to Qidian. The contract transfers the right to them, this is pretty standard - in certain cases even future rights belong to Qidian and not the author. Hell, until the owner reaches the point of recognition, they might get pretty much next to nothing. Even famous authors might have to hand over their ownership rights to Qidian, because sometimes their contracts cover not only present, but future works too.
    Feel free to look up even scientific journals in this topic. Not even close to being the best example, but one that is accessible for free (as far as I know): Feng, Y., & Literat, I. (2017). Redefining Relations Between Creators and Audiences in the Digital Age: The Social Production and Consumption of Chinese Internet Literature. International Journal of Communication, 11, 21.
    I can link others too, but many of them are behind paywall. Example that I post over and over again: Zhao, E. J. (2016). Writing on the assembly line: Informal labour in the formalised online literature market in China. New Media & Society.

Authors are pretty much exploited, lose a lot of rights and work their ass off for nothing until they get popular - and then face tremendous amount of pressure. Even then just to be able to treat it as a full-time job, they have to sign contracts that they might not be comfortable with and would have to work insane amount of hours. There are a lot of drawbacks to do these, but let's put that away and focus on the issue of publishing translations.

Qidian International goes with what they think is normal and leaves translators with very little negotiation power (despite a shortage of them, which you can say is an artificial way of keeping their cost low), so unlike it is typical in the Western world, under the stanard contract they hand over the rights to the publisher.

In case of WW, they have clearly obtained 20 titles and probably have obtained another 11 to translate. WW is the publisher, they have the rights to publish translations, translating is not a legal issue in itself, publishing those translations is. From the translators' point of view WW has the exclusive rights to publish the translations, while the translators retain ownership (this is defined in their contrc) - and from separate deals WW has gained the right (from Qidian) to publish the translations.

Did I miss anything? For many different reasons Sunday ~3:30 a.m. is not the best time for me to answer such questions... if necessary, I might be able to give a better answer in 12 hours or so.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  16. Lemonadez

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read what Qidian says.. If you claim Qidian owns everything. Then it must be also Qidian stole all the cover arts for their novel..Then Qidian should be responsible for it.. Qidian have rights to do what they want with the original novel. BUT Translation one they have no rights because it was not translated by their company. It was translated by Individual who had permission from the author.

If you had permission from the author and translate it.. But the author works for my company.. that means im allowed to use your translation even if your not part of my company and did not ask for your permission or contact u.. I can use it and earn money from it.

not only that Qidian did not mention anything about creation of webnovel.com and host wuxiaworld novel on their website..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  17. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually no. If the company owns the rights to the novel, then the author cannot just give permission for others to translate the novel and earn money off it. The company can still DMCA whoever is publishing the translation since the rights to publish are not the author's to give.

18. Lemonadez

Reading List:
    Link
    If WW did not have any permission from the author. Then WW would had been hit by Qidian 4 years ago for publishing Translated Coiling Dragon...

But WW been doing that since 4 years ago for CD. u tell me :).
    You have no proof what u say about Author Contract are not allowed to let any translator to translate their novel. What we only saw is the Translator contract leak. u cant be serious they will use the same rules for Author. That Translator/Editor contract is simply a slave if u read it.

19. noob_senpai

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation that was done by the translators of WW doesn't belong to Qidian. It doesn't belong to WW either, but they have the right/permission to publish it. The ownership of the author is restricted in this case (they have a deal with Qidian).
    Cover arts are a separate issue. But yeah, they have the right to 'withdraw' novels, but from what I have seen from them, there is no scenario of that happening.

I might be confused though: maybe it is my lack of understanding of the topic, my poor command of English, or me being an idiot - or the different combinations of all of the above (wouldn't surprise me) but I don't really get what your point is and was in the previous comment. It feels like we are kind of arguing for no reason.

20. noob_senpai

Reading List:
    Link
    Four years ago Qidian didn't even know that WW, or the novel translation scene a such, has existed.
    Again, the rest is too blurry for me to answer. It is 4 a.m. and that doesn't help either :sleep:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.