QIDIAN ad-wall, seriously? === Mega-merge ====

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kylarin, Aug 1, 2017.

?

What are your thoughts on this?

1. I CALLLEEDDD IT THE WALL IS COMING!!!

37.4%
  2. Pteuh... Don't even mention their scumbag ass here on this holy ground...

25.5%
  3. Will stick around until pay wall comes then PITCHFORKSSS!!!

27.7%
  4. Meh as long as the paywall isn't too bad I'm all g (I'm also a rich 3rd generation chinese young mas

5.8%
  5. I don't even care anymore

24.6%
  6. Not another Qidian thread... nek me nao...

30.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daruda

Daruda [Heavenly Frog] [Grumpy] [Contemplative]

Reading List:
    Link
    I went to QI just now and clicked a random old chapters, I didn't have any problem. I wonder what you see.
    And I don't see what it's so wrong by watching an ad every 'bonus' chapter, people work for those translations, it's their right to get some compensation.
    And please don't judge anyone for things they didn't do now.

2. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did they claim that?

They do have the publishing rights to the original, which allows them to control whether or not a derivitive can be published, but they don't claim to own all translated text.

And with WW, they claim they get the right via the contract(even though that's bullshit for reasons i've listed elswhere)

3. HighJayster

HighJayster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Juice is Loose, will once again be relevant, thank you.

4. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither they will be able to force community watch their ads to get "locked" chapters. There is already bypass script: http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/2627753/

5. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a paywall if it offers extra chapters to supporters that aren't otherwise available. It's hard to get around that.

That said, I have no issue with that as long as they don't claim to have release those chapters, or tease those chapters text where a normal chapter should be.

FortColors likes this.
  6. WarStalkeR

WarStalkeR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK it's paywall. But at least all money go directly to translators. And not to some shady crooks.

noob_senpai likes this.
  7. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    Just looked it up he was paroled July 20th.

8. FortColors

FortColors Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is where we have to disagree. Claiming to have released those chapters would be bad, but they're called bonus chapters. I dropped everything but IRAS after it moved to Qidian, and today's regular IRAS was still there. There were just 2 more teasers with ads allowing you to see what's below the teaser.

I decided to treat it as a good thing: we get teasers now!

joeglens likes this.
  9. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not how payrolls work.

10. 2835476

2835476 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem like a decent guy, with sociable skills.
    If you would not have tried to defend QI through their shady dealings i don't think people would have that much against you.
    Well that is my opinion i could be wrong, and like i said before you have to be biased towards your employer of course.
    Unless they are a criminal. Have to make own choice based on own personal beliefs and ideals and goals in life.

Good Luck

11. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Swallowed star had it's last two chapters ad-walled, as did others.

Which they can get by showing normal ads.

They'll be losing compensation by trying to force video ads, aka the most reviled non-malicious ad type in existence. It will force a significant number of people to sources that don't do that.

they've being judged for something they are actively doing.

12. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, and its not like people give me all sorts of hate over working for QI in most cases, those that do i just ignore people get hate over stupid things all the time it's just about not getting upset over it.

13. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    That's different. Teasers aren't listed as released chapters.

I'm talking about posted a chapter as released, ie listed on the front page as "hey you can read this now", but then only leaving some teaser text.

14. negritis

negritis The Mathematician

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe somebody should co-host QI novels so the community is pleaser
    since your reasing was this when stealing from WW

right @Qidian

15. Daruda

Daruda [Heavenly Frog] [Grumpy] [Contemplative]

Reading List:
    Link
    You told me that even older chapters were walled, that's not true. I had to check.

Honestly QI is going on losing cash, they pay translators, marketing, web services and have almost no ad on their site.
    You have to give them a way to make some cash.
    Why are all of you so against to legal ways to follow our hobby? You look like how people reacted to Yenpress, it had a few problems at the start, now I do own a few volumes and they're great, give a chance to QI.

I think the shadiest was Ren, but that's another story.

16. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What adsystem do they use? At least tracking is with google analytics, so would it be possible to report them to google if ads come from them (since app was removed from google play i would think ads have similar rules for advertisers?).

17. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I dislike ads as much as the next person but so far these ads are not forcing me ot never close it. I only hate pop up ads that endlessly re appear. I just turn the ad on mute the tab and switch to another website or reddit till the ad is done then read the chapter its not like every novel gets updated with more than 1 or 2 chapters a day so two 30 second ads with a 15 second skip feature is not that bad for me. BUT i understand some 3rd world countries gets some crazy ads. like how I get 20 ads on WXW but the next person could be getting 500 ads while visiting WXW on their adblock. depends on the region. for me though QI adwall isnt that bad.

Edit: not defending QI shitty actions btw. I just saying this adwall system is not the worse in the world.

edit2: also want to mention I am not reading those novels that were stolen from WXW. dunno why QI would pull a assmove like that.

18. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    Google removes all dmca complaint programs until they investigate it and it is added back after 7 days so the app will be coming back around august 4th.

19. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read on QI since the "Event", but those ads would be certainly annoying me if I did. Whenever I start reading, I gradually start shutting out the outside world and I get lost in the story. It's not even the words I see, it's the story I see in front of me... I guess it's a bit like this. If I suddenly run into a video ad, even if it's for a bonus chapter, it ruins my immersion. Of course this is not a problem for me now, but I can imagine some people might feel the same way.

Logicsol and shellshocked like this.
  20. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Er, no I didn't. I said that they retroactively ad-walled released chapters. Not ALL the chapters, but they did it so some. I'll give that it could be read that way though.

Not only has the existing translation community been able to make it profitable, but QI has a multi-billion dollar backer. They have the luxery of being able to operate in the red for years, while building a user base large enough to sustain them through less intrusive ads.

Forced video ads are a blight on the internet.

People are primarily against QI for lying to us, stealing the work of others, being actively subversive in the community and all around acting like scum.

Next to none are against legal ways to follow TL.

really now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.