Qidian App

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lamhoi32, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighJayster

HighJayster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, if you would rather not use the app the mobile site is fully functional and setup for the best possible experience.

rwxwuxiaworld likes this.
  2. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know intrusive and forced ads were what we call the best possible experience nowadays.

But what am I complaining about, it's free so shouldn't I be grateful I'm able to eat shit? I'm not one of the oh so magnanimous investors of QI, after all, who care so much about the treatment of their "clients"! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

3. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't have to watch the ads, the ads were a way to try and give the readers a way to support the translators and enjoy new chapters, they will become ad free after a short time so if you would rather not watch them you are more then welcome to wait, you can check out some of the other great novels on the site in the meantime, or go check out my personal favorite, Way of Choices over at Gravity

4. Deleted member 37987

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand how it's considered decent under the basis that nobody is obligated to watch it.

If I am to give food to homeless people but I put pieces of dog turd inside it, should I be able to claim they aren't obligated to eat it, they should be grateful I'm doing this, and that I'm morally right? Why is such a disgusting way of advertisement acceptable on another hand ?

zentetsuken likes this.
  5. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats not a very accurate analogy, its something you will get, in its 100% full glory after waiting a period of time, however they want those that support the translators and site/company to get a little more so they offer a way to support themselves and to give you something extra, your doing them a favor and they are doing one for you, nobody loses anything, they only gain, however you are not obligated to do it.

sinyueliang and Tramsloof like this.
  6. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do the translator even get a share of ad revenue? Wasn't it just measly $40 per chapter? Other way it's only helping QI, not translators.

7. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Per Zenobys, translators will get ad revshare but only once that revshare exceeds the base payment. That's actually going to be really hard to calculate if you are doing it fairly, because payment is by chapters but chapters will accumulate views ad infinitum.

8. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree even though I hate Qidian.

The only thing is, just like government uses taxes and subsidies to promote or stop something, you guys are trying to promote your app(Ad wall on browser for bonus chapters, no adwall for app). Which is pretty intrusive in asking all those rights.

Secondly you dont distinguish between bonus chapters and normal chapters. Users who go in hope of reading normal chapters are suddenly greeted by that it is a bonus, and locked by ads.

Now I am not against locking bonus chapter with ad walls. In fact I like this, otherwise you would have to pay in money, so theres a paywall. So this initiative si good, the only thing is you dont differentiate between normal chapters that need no ads to be unlocked amd bonus chapters that need ads to be unlocked.

So maybe a big B for bonus or whatever idea you can brainstorm for this to differentiate.

I am not reading from Qidian, but nonetheless the above is what I have to say about this.

asriu likes this.
  9. Deleted member 37987

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yes you do lose something. You become an alienated being who's slowly taught to watch ads and get them etched into his brains. You are, like Patrick Le Lay, the owner of a French TV channel famous, said, selling your available human brain time to other companies. What's more, should I even mention all the privacy violation internet analytics are directly responsible for? It's an absolutely unethical mean to get money, it's the same as if I was asking people to sell their kidneys, it's just that people don't realize they do lose something and believe it's all for free, but why would they ever be asked to watch ads in that case?

I don't have any information about that but considering translators are just considered employees under their business, it'd be no wonder if they don't get any share in it. This is the difference between liberal translation and the traditional model that Qidian is trying to impose over everybody, ultimately limiting the means to be independent.

10. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i think thats a failing in the way the developers aw "bonus" chapters vs how we see them, i'm trying to float the idea that we change the name as it is misleading in some cases, as for the app being intrusive i don't really see it that way, it's just a win-win for both sides using the app, while the methods are a little forceful on the surface it is just in an attempt to get people to use it and realize how great the app is compared to mobile sites.

Tramsloof likes this.
  11. joeglens

joeglens Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why we need to call it "Advance Chapters" as they should be

[​IMG]

12. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Katsono tbh I think you're highly exaggerating the ad wall. It's JUST AN AD. Like holy shit no need to get your panties in a twist. The dude already said that the translators will get ad revshare and honestly if it's any other translator I bet everyone would be very willing to watch the ad. It's only the two most recent chapters, like they said, the ads will be released if you wait *like a day, maybe a few days, depending on when the next chapter is released* It is definitely not as serious as you're making it out to be. QI isn't a charity, they're a business, and in order to provide translations they are spending money... which they have to make back in some way. They can't be like the other translators here that translate as just a hobby and take money out of their own pocket without demanding anything in return. I don't know any company that's so generous =-=. I think that an ad wall is extremely reasonable compared to the paywall they use in China. I'd rather click once to play the ad for a few seconds and then click another time to skip it then pay money to read the chapter. The only reason you are reacting so strongly against this is because it's Qidian that's doing it, not some other translation group. But I mean, since you've got it so in your head that in ad wall is a horrible piece of shit poison etc. etc. then no matter what I say you probably won't change your thoughts *shrug*

As for the app itself, I've never had a problem with it and personally don't view it as unsafe, but granted I've downloaded apps from third party sites before *King of Glory for one, is China's top grossing mobile game and because it's a Chinese app where in China you can't use google and the only option is to download from a third party site, I downloaded off of QQ a chinese social networking site* and... again, I've never had a problem. And the guy already mentioned that they were working it out and QI app would be back on google playstore soon, though we'd have to see when that happens *shrugs*

Kiki0246 likes this.
  13. piratex

piratex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of the novels i am reading only True M. World effected by like this if i am not mistaken.

Other novels put extra (bonus) chapters for you to read while realesing on schedule . Personally i didt download the app and only read one chapter by watching ads. its handy if the chapter ends with a huge cliff....

14. HighJayster

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be the 4th of august, however it depends on timezones if thatll be the 5th for some people etc, but it should be back in the next day or two.

15. Deleted member 37987

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna comment on... these. Hopefully you enjoy a future of no private life, where companies own every piece of information about yourself and where you're forced to watch ads at every corner of the street.

16. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    When watching TV we already have to watch ads. You have to watch ads on crunchyroll if you don't pay for VIP. Same for Viki *for Asian dramas*. YouTube also plays ads. They have to make money dude. It's seriously not a big deal. And by the way, the government, at least the US government, is already watching our every move, and we already have no private life. So your words there are essentially meaningless.

17. Deleted member 37987

Reading List:
    Link
    So that's how you plan to live out your life, by saying everything is meaningless and not even trying? You do realize that's the exact reason we've reached this point, in the first place, right? Do you really want to let everybody fuck you up and do nothing but eat their shit?

There was a series set in an alternative future where people were literally forced to watch ads that appeared out of nowhere during the day, I honestly think we aren't that far off from that, or at least they'll find some other things that are even more horrendous to force onto people.

18. joeglens

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that when you are on the internet, if you are not paying for a product, you are the product. Just ask Google-san

19. Deleted member 37987

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup that's exactly what's wrong and even more so how intrusive it gets. But the thing is, this is not required. Just like how a single country doesn't need to be getting the riches from half the planet that's left to starve, just like how we don't need internationals to ruin their smaller opponents and destroy the concept of competition, just like any monopoly in fact that should not exist, because capitalism itself had for basis competition and rationalism.

However some people will absolutely discard the consequences of their actions and just see one thing : they get free novels as long as they watch some optional ads. This is throwing away your pride and becoming as much of a livestock as you can.

20. joeglens

Reading List:
    Link
    This statement is true to all novel sites that you can read for free that has ads. Wether you watch or click an ad, you are already part of the ad impression economy when you load those ads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.