GGP is Lying; Gravity Is Owned by China Reading (QI)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Truck-kun, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i pray for your soul ( and i mean this is a good way ) as you're now in bed with devil

Dark Omega likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    maple tea.jpg interesting~
    oh well as long as I can read so ok~
    if Qidian srew up again I just need to say bye bye~

koddychi and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Auranyte

Auranyte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now it is time to wonder what happens with their current licenses with Zongheng and iReader. Could this end up being a breach of contract? Of course we won't find out unless those novels disappear from GT for whatever reasons they attempt to feed us.

Hahhaa and StuffedDuck like this.
  4. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    ... he was depressed and hurt about mean people and tried his outmost to help the community - hence he sold majority of shares to QI and they are so nice to everyone that they won't have a word to say in any decisions taken by GT ...

It's been a business decision and he had every right to do what he wanted to do with GT, but he should have put less effort into painting himself as a white knight on a crusade for the better of the community. In the end QI now has two platforms they'll use to host novels and to attract readers - good for them.

Mangochic and Hahhaa like this.
  5. CoconaBartel

CoconaBartel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you

6. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can sympathize with the deal BUT his actions afterward just felt dishonest at best or a total b@stard at worst.

Its like 'a thief stealing a bread for his family but accidently knocked over an elderly passerby while trying to escape' kind of scenario.

Mangochic and StuffedDuck like this.
  7. IOUmoney

IOUmoney Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what is so fun? Learning the truth that you've been lied to from an HK IPO document. :blobtriumph:/sarcasm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Hahhaa likes this.
  8. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't open reddit right now, but see the sentiment here I can guess.

Like several people already mention, the deal is not a big deal. It is how GGP lie to us, keep denying and making promises about GT as if he still the owner of GT.

Can this happen? seeing that QI own GT?

Another questionable "contract"

"Autonomus", nice choice of word

..... sure a good example you did by lying to us

And yet GT is own by QI...which mean they can implement paywall if they want

Most epic statement that was post yesterday

9. rakazzt

rakazzt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I can say is good luck....because you'll need it.

Mangochic likes this.
  10. Petiepotter

Petiepotter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By now you guys should have seen the previous reddit post. If you haven’t, then I’d suggest that you guys check it out before reading below.

I haven’t been able to talk about what was in the agreement, and honestly, that’s been putting a lot of pressure on me. However, now with it already being public domain, I want to explain my position.

Honestly, at the start last year, I was very against China Literature who is the parent company of Qidian. I’ve been working towards licensing before the end of last year and hitting many roadblocks with deal terms a little too harsh to sign. However, despite all of that, China Literature (Qidian) was the only one who came to me after the exodus with licenses for the same deal they’d offered previously, even though Gravity Tales—at that point—had people dropping out left and right. This was when I changed my thoughts about them, and in the end I chose to go with them. Funny how such a small thing makes such a big difference.

Since I’m touching on the exodus, let me clear some points about this.

First, people jumped ship because of their free will; not because of any stringent contract that they have to sign. Any Gravity Tales member can back me up on this. In fact, Gravity Tales has not signed a contract with any translators until July of this year.

In addition, the time when the exodus happened were some of the darkest days of my life. There were people who I considered friends, who I had just joked around with, suddenly leaving the site and appearing on a different site the next day. Experiencing that, I was antsy and I reflected with myself to see if I was untrusting. In the end of the day, I just wanted to remember the scars and keep moving forward.

So that’s the background to this whole thing. Now, more about the deal. Yes, I gave up a majority share in Gravity Tales for some financial compensation and for the maximum support in Gravity Tale’s future development from Qidian. One thing I’d like to point out: while talking to Qidian, I got a significant part of the valuation put aside in the form of motivation and compensation prepared for the translators and editors, who I believe to be the essential part of Gravity Tales, even including those who had left during the exodus. I can’t give specific numbers, but for every dollar I have in my pocket, there are more than 5 dollars been set aside for the core translators and editors on top of normal CPMs and whatnot, and that’s for this and next year alone.

Now, back to the non-money side of the deal. Another part of why I decided to go with China Literature (Qidian) was because their licensing deal after the investment was also the best compared to other publishing companies. We would get full support from China Literature. And that also comes with clear channel of communication with the the original authors, Chinese editors, publishers and other copyright owners in the industry. In addition, we were authorized with the rights to publish ebook and hardcopy books. Who knows, maybe we will be producing our own animation series one day.

For translators, the huge benefit they get is that there shall be no concern about being forced to take down any work any more. We made sure that all the translators in Gravity Tales working on the tens of thousands titles from Qidian would forever be at ease of knowing that they won’t get hit by a DMCA and at the end of the day, that’s more important than anything else.

For authors, I did a bit of research online, and found that, usually, going to a hardcopy publisher meant that the manuscript would be owned by the publishing house. Not any more. I am working with the publishing experts in China Literature (Qidian) to find a way that the original authors and translators could publish their work without surrendering their rights over the the publishing houses.

Now, what would be changed in Gravity Tales? Honestly, nothing will, besides the fact that the pioneer of online literature and the industry giant is now standing behind us offering unlimited support. For those who may wonder, Gravity Tales is still completely operated by me and full autonomy is guaranteed, which means no paywall. If there is one thing that was lost, it’s that I gave up my major slice of the future value of Gravity Tales, in exchange for a bigger pie for the translators, the readers and everyone supporting Gravity Tales.

To those feeling betrayed, for whatever the reason it may be, I’m sorry. If you’re looking for an explanation from me, call it nerves, call it being in the moment, call it me being sneaky, being untrustworthy. The good guy always has his flaws.

In the end, hate me, love me, whatever you want. I believe that I did the right thing for Gravity Tales and everyone in it.

Thanks for reading,

GGP

Nanashy and Dyne like this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    business is business ~ as for Knight thing?
    well only time can show me da truth~

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. CoconaBartel

Reading List:
    Link
    ty

13. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From What I understand, This is all planned in advance and just an excuse to make sure people aren't alarmed when they post QI novels on GT.

14. devilmaycry1

devilmaycry1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

What is this about? What Google Doc. Like how blue silver where you could read the translation?

15. Kahzel

Kahzel [Translator of pure fluffyness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, seems like GT isn't always writing the truth too.
    Anyways, I just read chaotic sword God and Cult of the sacred runes there, which doesn't even get translated anymore...
    So now it's just goodbye.
    I'm not content with you lying straight up to our faces, @Gravity Tales :blobangery:
    Thanks for all you have done in the past, but for the future you're just gone for me. :blobwoah:

16. rakazzt

rakazzt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe its for the patreon ?

17. Destinyklien

Destinyklien Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even as a QI-hater, your logic is most likely true. Since majority shares of GT are currently owned by the same parent company as QI, there's not need for them to go in the same manner as with WW. If QI pulls a fast one over GT, it'd be the same as shooting themselves in foot. However, there's no way to say the GT will be able to stay with it's current workstyle and ggp can't say it will because he's no longer majority share owner, China Reading is. They might not do anything hands on in short term, but they'll most definitely interfere with the company's operations somewhere down the line.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. Petiepotter

Petiepotter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably where people put theirs TL files/docs at. We tend to pile up a bunch, in case for events/mass release etc.

19. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are laughing at all this, that is just vile. Good for you I guess, nowadays this characteristic pays off.

I don't think you are objective (neither am I, but at least I don't claim to be). You are more likely uninformed, naive, a bit stupid (yeah, sorry), or some kind of combination of these.
    I say this also based on this comment of yours:
    Do you think WW didn't check anything with lawyers, or that RWX has no idea what he is doing? Like really... the facepalming blob isn't even enough anymore.

20. CoconaBartel

Reading List:
    Link
    drama still going

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.