Just me, or a toxic community?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Broosk, Aug 4, 2017.

?

Is the community somewhat toxic?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. A little bit

94 vote(s)
    32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S1ash

S1ash Muhahahaha

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone have their own emotions and short comings. One thing you notice is many people pointing out it was ok before QI showed up, do I agree with that, yes, does everyone agree with that, IDK.

As the community grew, really fast and really big, you can look at it from the direction that QI doing what they did was the first negative that people felt like they had to say something about. OTHERS MIGHT HAVE SEEN IT AS A WAY TO RELEASE THEIR INNER SELF'S.

sorry about caps.

2. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

outsiders tend to get more worked up than insiders, mostly because we lack critical information that keep insiders from being mad....we only have so much information to work with, and we're not going to wait months or years before all the information is let loose before we react.

3. baroncrux

baroncrux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there was a thread made by someone who quit GT because of "the upcoming contract details." Isn't this considered as a response from a member of GT, even if he is a former one.

zentetsuken likes this.
  4. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know about you, but lying the community that made you big in the first place in the face multiple times without qualms -> no transparancy coupled with lies, makes me think that GGP is the toxic person that only cares about himself. After this whole ordeal, repercussion in form of critical comments are to be expected and cant really be labeled as pure toxicity..

5. Sebastian5

Sebastian5 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There will always be some toxic people that take it too far, can't do a great deal about it unfortunately. Mostly people are just disappointed, everything Qidian touches seems to turn to shit, and they're more than touching Gravity, they're using it as a sock puppet. So people will vent and it will blow over till the next incident.

6. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't say the community is toxic because of a few @Broosk . 5 pages and only one kinda toxic comment about you being a cueball. And that one is doing it as a soft troll.

Edit: About the thing of GGP, I just don't care enough, I am not making an effort translating, don't actually know the inside story or what they were feeling, so I have no connection appart from a "It would suck if they stopped translating".

You have to understand that there are kids here or as Parth put it "Whiny children" they feel that it was a direct insult to them.

kenar, 99 others and Kanna Kamui like this.
  7. Broosk

Broosk «Technomancer»

Reading List:
    Link
    What you're talking about were things to protect the staff and GT. Meaning it was going to be GT will pay X for X and if you can't provide X just let us know, it was all stuff meant to make sure that the TL'ers got what they were told verbally/via email. There was also going to be NDA's and for those who chose to signed the NDA they would get to know more about the inner workings of GT (which means that when this whole QI thing came about they would have been in the know). It also would mean that TL'ers would have a better vested status and voicing powers as GGP was willing to offer stock to folks who signed the contracts (especially the NDA's). Some folks didn't understand/want that. Eventually if they want to continue to TL though, they'll be on some sort of contract.

EDIT: I was present for all of that and was trying to explain it, but some folks blew up as soon as GGP mentioned contracts. I talked long and hard with him about it to get that understanding. I also tried to explain it during the meeting, but they didn't want to hear it.

8. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey , thats me bruh .

Shance likes this.
  9. Nahrenne

Nahrenne Sister|Daughter|Niece|Aunt|Mummy

Reading List:
    Link
    Coming from you, I imagined a deep husky, seductive man saying that whilst loosening the buttons of his trousers...
    >///<
    X

kenar and 99 others like this.
  10. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    please reply to me.

When you dont want people to be toxic,

1. Why do you mislead your fans who have been with your for years, by going as far as lying yo them.
    2. Once you are caught lying, you embody pity in your writing. And if such is not granted, the other party is dubbed toxic.
    3. Creating such a thread, where you ask 'why toxic?' after the given events, every Jhon, James and Juliet know what you are talking about, why not be open?
    4. You want to do business? Fine. Cheating is not business, lying is not business. Selling is not bad, but pretending that it is for the good of community is just downright immoral. After hiding the fact.
    5. What else do you expect from us? No really. Thank You Kind sir, for you have sold us for that one dollar you had and those five dollars you will provide to your translators and editors, and you informed none of this. We are forever grateful for this eternal kindness and this shall multipy the trust we had for you by magical numbers. Now if you were expecting everyone to be this indirect then yes, toxic people. They dont know how to spin webs of words to trick others, they are simple beings who say what they think, I am sure you like people like GGP better.
    Look if you spread love and people curse you, by all means come forward and scream 'toxic people'

But when you shit on people and tell them this is your divine blessing and people curse at you, I am not sure who is more toxic. Because I have always heard wise people say 'Actions speak louder than words'.

Now I am toxic. Now people like me are toxic here. I am that person. Give me whatever punishment you think is appopriate, but before that, I want you to ask, who made me and people like me act this way. Do you know even after seeing the post with evidence I still trusted GGP. It is actually because these toxic people had hearts in their chests, and in these hearts existed love for GGP. You can see me defending GGP in the posts in past, although I did have my doubts. Now those moments are what make us toxic.

But you are right. What does GGP have to do with this.

We took him for a good guy. Now we are betrayed. We are hurt by our own expectations of him. Even though he is Good Guy Person.

I am very sorry. For my behaviour, with this I end my past sentiments for GT.

Good Luck with your future.

11. baroncrux

baroncrux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Question just for personal interest but if someone wouldn't have wanted to accept that contract would they have been able to continue translating at GT?

12. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kek tfw someone says spcnet started this community when baka-tsuki the real community starter is there.

13. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't make general assumptions a large majority saw it as a poor or not thought through business decsion like me

Shance likes this.
  14. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I though more of a small man disguised as a ninja, taking his pants off from the shadows.

kenar, Nahrenne and StuffedDuck like this.
  15. Devourer

Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, the community isn't really toxic (compared to really toxic one) and is even friendly (if you ignore the raging ones). It's just that they felt betrayed on a personal level and a minority needed to voice it. leading ultimately to harassement, hate and personal attack. This kind of things happen a lot even in rl when people forget to think and just act on anger, especially when they lack information (as being outsider).

Btw, I'm part of the eating popcorn (and harvesting posts) faction on the whole mess so.... :blobpopcorn:

16. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> was talking about Chinese novels.....
    You think that it started there?
    Not Japanese.

17. Broosk

Broosk «Technomancer»

Reading List:
    Link
    GGP stated yes, they would have. The downside is that there would be nothing legally binding to actually ensure they got what they were promised and provided what they said they would provide (unless they notified that they couldn't provide just like when you call in sick to work).

18. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He keep lying and being doublefaced. If he wouldn't lie I doubt people will slander him - that's the main difference between being a sellout and being true towards whole community

19. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    The internet without any form of toxicity is a paradox. It simply does not exist.

As some other people have said there is different levels of toxicity. Most of the 'toxic' comments are centered around QI. Now GT is seen as the face of QI due to the fact that the Qidian account has not been posting. But I would say most people here don't feel angry that Gravity is working to better it's business standing. It's the fact that people were lied to.

With the hate swirling around QI right now and then GT being centered around it. It can't be helped that these lies or misunderstandings if you so choose to call them would inflame a community already having plenty of theories and *add tin foil hat here* to anything that had gotten pulled out of the shadows. And that's what happened. Someone found information directly opposite to what was stated. Flowery language aside. And that's what blew this up. (Also people love drama. *Insert drama llama here*)

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  20. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This community implies NUF which holds multiple translations in which CN came after the popularity if JP which arose the interest of translating CN. Yes; it started there unless you consider e-pubs before that to be a "community". I'm not trying to be rude but you weren't very clear on community and when you encompass a community that's a lot more than a specific genre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.