Question [Cn] pls help me translate

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by jacha, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please help me translate the part in bold.

“这个少年怎么会如此强大?修为达到黄极境大极位的罗天,竟然也被他用剑鞘拍下战台,连还手之力都没有。”一位十六岁的贵族少女有些好奇的盯着张若尘。

so far i got "Eclipse Pole big boundary of Ji Wei (enlightenment that of Buddha) ??Luo Tian??"

Thanks

2. snowflake_obsidian

snowflake_obsidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    This might help: https://baike.baidu.com/item/万古神帝
    (this is the novel the quote is from, right?)

Take what I'm about to write with a large grain of salt:

The bolded is talking about what stage this person's cultivation base has reached (修为达到). So you're looking for the name of a cultivation realm (境).

It's true that 黄极 can mean "Ecliptic Pole", but I don't think that's what the novel is referring to. Unless the cultivation system is frequently compared to or modeled after the starry sky and constellations, I'd suggest not translating 极 as "Pole". You might even want to omit it entirely, since translating it as "Extreme" or "Peak" sounds kind of bad, IMO.

About the cultivation system, it seems to go:
    黄极境 --> 玄极境 --> 地极境 --> 天极境
    I would suggest something simple like:
    Imperial Realm --> Profound Realm ---> Earth Realm --> Heaven Realm

黄 = Imperial is just my best guess, since yellow often symbolizes imperial power (as in the Yellow Emperor), and I think it fits the situation.

About 大极位 ... that seems to be a particular step/level/rank within the Imperial Realm (黄极境). You can see it in the link I gave above.
    I would suggest something like "great step". This would make 黄极境大极位 = the great step of the Imperial Realm. Still sounds stilted, but maybe you can work on it.

About 罗天 ... I'm not really sure what it's referring to here. But it can be translated as: Overarching Heaven, Highest Heaven, Allheaven, or the Canopy of Heaven.

Overall, 黄极境大极位的罗天 would very roughly mean that the person's cultivation base has reached the great step of the Imperial Realm of Overarching Heaven.

Yeah... that's the best I can do, and it's not very clear or good. You should definitely get a second opinion from a real translator.

RIenne, syc and jacha like this.
  4. jacha

jacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You did well xD
    Thanks!