Discussion Google search results biased ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by IRainstorm, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

2. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just look at how the Google has handled the memo situation. The engineer who has Master's degree in Systems biology from Harvard said that men and women had biological differences. Saying that men prefer to work with things rather than people and women are the opposite. He even gave a good way to get women more interested by introducing pair programming. He was fired for perpetuating gender stereotypes even though there are numerous studies showing this.

Basic Summary of Memo
    • Google's political bias has equated the freedom from offense with psychological safety, but shaming into silence is the antithesis of psychological safety.
    • This silencing has created an ideological echo chamber where some ideas are too sacred to be honestly discussed.
    • The lack of discussion fosters the most extreme and authoritarian elements of this ideology.
    • Differences in distributions of traits between men and women may in part explain why we don't have 50% representation of women in tech and leadership.
    • Discrimination to reach equal representation is unfair, divisive, and bad for business.

Victor DoUrden likes this.
  3. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Sup Rain, I'm just here to check out the blobs :aww::blobangery::blobconfused::cookie::blobdevil::blobexpressionless::facepalm::blobfearful::blobmelt::blobnosebleed::blobowoevil::blobpats::blobpeek::blobpensive::blobpoliceangry::blobpopcorn::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmirk::blobtriumph::blobunsure::blobwoah::blobxd::hmm::notlikeblob::blobsalute::sweating_profusely: I mean honestly these are so cute.

Anyway, SEO I guess..

4. IRainstorm

Reading List:
    Link
    Sup :blobpopcorn:
    Yea I guess But hey Im learning new things from the stuff posted :cookie:

Sky Farrow likes this.
  5. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you guys realise this?

If they can put a DMCA notice on WW server to take it down, they can do the same thing to Google searches. They can even bump their page to the top with money ....

7. G4merSylver

G4merSylver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody knows how the Google algorithm works, it's impossible to bias it. And I am not joking about that, the algorithm is complex to an extend that nobody can claim to know how the whole thing works. They can apply it, but the algorithm is extremely complex.

That aside, a little insight on my end. Bad publicity also is publicity, the algorithm doesn't care about controversy. QI gained massive exposure and a ridiculously huge amount of traffic - I don't need to explain the latter do I?

And the 'age' part is bullshit. Age doesn't influence the algorithm. Traffic does. Recent traffic to be exact. SEO can boost you only to a certain extend, the score actually isn't working by addition but subtraction. If you don't do your SEO properly you don't get your deserved score, if you do it you get the score.

TL; DR: QI gets dem trafficz from the controversy.

99 others likes this.
  8. Kylarin

Kylarin Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian probably has a team in webdesign that is paid to make sure they're #1 rank in google searches and optimizes that all day... or maybe WW is just really unoptimized?

Definitely something the guys at WW should look into when they got some free time. :D

99 others and TheCross like this.
  9. TheCross

TheCross Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    money moves the world :blobpensive:

10. Victor DoUrden

Victor DoUrden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many many technicalities aside popularity and other things also aside it is intensely biased (more every year it seems) and also censors things from search. Google is especially biased in regards to who pays more to have their stuff shown or if something has anything to do with petty puritanical standards

Heck for example a buddy showed me a link that was giving undeniable proof that youtube (shit since was bought by Google) would literally unsubscribe people from certain channels and prevent subscription (was several examples only recall Alex Jones being one of them)

EienMugetsuTensho likes this.
  11. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to put quotes. It specifies that you are looking for a quote.

12. IRainstorm

Reading List:
    Link
    u forgot to add perfect world, I quoted it lol

13. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    You can blame the flamers for that, I bet the ones visit QI(aside genuine readers) are mostly flamers, trolls, uhh.... aggregate boosters?
    Anyway, since QI had Perfect World novel posted in their website and QI IS the center for controversies in novel community(from NU to reddit, and similar forums). As you say, a bad publicity is STILL a publicity, QI topic hitched a lot for topics. Thus, many similar matches linked together and indexed in favor for QI over WW. Plus, aggregates are helping in some way or another, thanks to the "boycotters".

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is in culture. This is not uncommon for asian companies to struggle with western markets due to being used to doing things the way they did things in their home country. They simply don't understand western culture hence their struggle when they do things that had no problems back home.

15. 99 others

99 others Sleep is for the weak.

Reading List:
    Link
    The first one is webn0v3l.com kek
    And the rest are villain sites.. no WW.. at all.. what the what??
    I sure never google those sites :eek:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Westeller likes this.
  16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But really these are the most important ones anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Altho you can't really beat their results for just "webnovels." It's kind of their name.

readerz and 99 others like this.
  17. 99 others

99 others Sleep is for the weak.

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh you're right, @Westeller i google this :
    perfect world novel
    The results are :
    1. WW
    2. NU
    3. LMNTL
    4. Pika Translations
    5. Baka Updates
    6. Reddit
    7. Wiki

I'm saved phew :oops:

18. podlizurko

podlizurko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes , once i added novel or webnovel to the title wuxiaworld was always the top pick.

19. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just tested "love drinking milk the most"

google says : "In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 4 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at LumenDatabase.org. "

Google REMOVE some results !

Then I clicked on "read the DMCA complaint" ===> https://www.lumendatabase.org/notices/14762256
    Google seems to IGNORE some results, it's confirmed !

EDIT : it says : "Wuxiaworld.com publishes licensed Chinese web novels translated to English. The infringing site, webnovel.com is taking the chapters of our web novels and hosting them on their site without permission."
    DMCA Battle ? WW strikes back ?
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    lactea likes this.
  20. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cool, I didn't know that though. My main point was that it isn't a search history thing, I was just using it as an example cause I thought it was a thing website owners could do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.