GT, 17k, and Zongheng megamerge thread

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Overclock, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I support his statement of being still being a fan translator. I bet he doesn't even realized that fan translation goals is not finish translating a novel, is to promote the novel so the original publisher grant official license for translation (most of the time, fan translation do not get that license). I will always respect the fan translations mindset esp true for site baka-tsuki (even I can no longer read my fav novels, I still respect them)

As for him trusting ggp over everyone else (esp ggp vs 17k), I can see that happening. Its hard to not being biased towards a friend (ggp) vs a corporation (17k).

2. Clonetrooper11

Clonetrooper11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But that 'friend' lied to him. Well not lied, but he kept the important details in the dark. If my friend irl did something like that, I would be like, "wtf" and be a bit wary of them from then on.
    Regardless of whether he views GGP like that or not (evidently he doesn't), you still can't shy away from the rational perspective that no company would want to endorse or have their competitive company take hold of their works.

3. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How old is he? The 'I don't give a fuck don't mess with me' attitude suggests that he's in high school, possible middle school.

Alfik0 and noob_senpai like this.
  4. Clonetrooper11

Reading List:
    Link
    bump

5. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with that assessment. His attitude does suggest that.

Thing thats scary about trusting the wrong person is that his view was warped from the get go. He probably views ggp did nothing wrong & everyone is out to get his friend so he just shut everyone out without even listening to what being said.

6. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I feel sorry for him, not at all actually. It's too bad about the other translators that are actually cognizant of the ramifications of what GGP did, but can't necessarily do anything.

7. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    I do understand. Infact I've explained multiple times here how the fault lies entirely on GT's sale to Qidian.

My only points is that there doesn't need to be some great conspiracy to set Pipi against 17k. As untrustworthy as I find GGP, I don't think he mislead Pipi here. Pipi just focused on 17k because he sees them as the ones changing, as he's seemly pretty set on ignoring the secondary consequences of GT's sale.

8. Clonetrooper11

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you SURE? GGP sure as hell didn't mind misleading the general populace, much less someone that works for him and trusts him.

I understand that you more or less agree with us, but you're taking the stance that Pipi is 'justified' because it's his POV. However, anyone with a brain or any ounce of reasoning will be able to deduce that it isn't 17k's fault, but GGP, unless GGP told him/them some BS propaganda against 17k.

9. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Short of making a full accusation here, I'm going to assume or interpret, from what Pipi posted.

1) Pipi just wanted to translate. (as in translate, don't care about drama, don't care about licensing, bla bla. Just wanna translate. A single track minded idea, and not to be concerned by other stuffs related / tied in to translating).
    2) Whoever made him stop is the "bad guy". In this case, irregardless whether ZongHeng did the right thing or not, because Pipi interpreted ZongHeng's action as detrimental. So he vented against ZongHeng.
    3) It took some GT admins (at least from the way 3 people posted, GGP and the other admin guy, and that technomagic fella who insisted it was just a technical glitch on Pipi's posting) by surprise.
    4) Anyone or anything that slanders or hinders GGP and GT, are "bad people" to Pipi.

God bless GGP for having such a "great" friend. However, I feel bad for Pipi for doing something remarkably idiotic by shooting himself at the foot. Yes, he's upset, and he has a right / privilege to vent it out. Unfortunately, he barked at the wrong tree, at the wrong time, for the wrong purpose, even if his intent was somewhat questionable.

Alfik0 and Clonetrooper11 like this.
  10. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not the stance I'm taking.

The stance I'm taking is that nothing Pipi said requires him to be mislead, and that his post and other comments point more toward a willful disregard to the consequences of the GT sale, and a tendancy to bite at whatever he perceives is in his way.

I'm arguing against the conspiracy theory that holds GGP lied to Pipi to get him to act as a scapegoat to 17k, or other such nonsense.

never take me attempting to explain a persons apparent thought process as justifying their actions.

I'm attempting to discover their justifications and perspective to better understand the situation, as I find that better represents the truth.

11. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much, expect for number 3.

Pipi requested they do extra work to allow his post to remain. They typically are just marking the entire catagory of the novel as "non-public", which also blocks access to the translators annoucement, because they only have rights to post in their own catagory. This is why the ZL and other annoucements went poof when the translations did.

Spiritsong likes this.
  12. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was pretty sure that they have obtained the licence, so I have googled it: 7 May 2017 - "Announcing Gravity Tales' Licensing Agreement with Zongheng" ... "This agreement is for Shura's Wrath, Master of the Stars and Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation!"
    Here is the NUF thread about it.
    Whether or not they can keep them may depend on the actual contract, its clauses and possibly on the date when they were closing on the Qidian deal.

Clonetrooper11 likes this.
  13. Clonetrooper11

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok fine. Pipi wrote his post on his own volition.
    Subjectively, what is your opinion on him? Frankly, even IF GGP didn't influence (small or big), it's bonkers that he's this idiotic and short sighted.

14. Clonetrooper11

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok thanks. I hope Zongheng pulls out. I like Shura's Wrath, and would rather not read it from a 3rd party source.

15. Turbo-

Turbo- Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he actually has been mislead since he was given information of 17k unfair terms. GT claims they're taking down translations to show good faith to get licenses yet they left up an announcement post demonizing 17k. Even though they're owned by a competitor, you don't have to make it that obvious that you don't want to get their licenses.

16. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Off the cuff? He's twelve(at least emotionally) and only interested insofar as to what directly disrupts him. I dropped CSG before deceptioning stopped TL'ing, so my only real impression is from his announcement and the linked reddit posts.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Alfik0 and Clonetrooper11 like this.
  17. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They may want to pull out, but they don't necessarily have the grounds for it. Who knows, maybe they don't care that much about it anyway...

18. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. Though it's unlikely that will happen until we learn more about the GT sale.

If it happened in july, they are stuck.

if it happened in may like I think, then they have grounds to void the contract due to bad faith.

Clonetrooper11 likes this.
  19. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many thanks for the clarification. Noted with thanks.

Depends. But I think ZongHeng would be very upset at GT. English translations is still something 'very new' for ZongHeng, and I doubt they want to hand over the chicken to a rival (Qidian). Their eggs would not be theirs, but their rivals' as they milk it. That would be interpreted as a clusterfuck of mismanagement by ZongHeng shareholders, if it ever pops up to them.

20. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    my impression of Pipi is that he's going to consider any terms that GT can't agree to "bad terms".

You can't really look at his post from an objective standpoint and make any sense of it. You have to consider his personality and how his perspective paints things.

Read his reddit posts to get a good idea.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6rjjyw/ggp_official_response/dl5htaq/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6rjjyw/ggp_official_response/dl5inq0/
    Are good examples.

He doesn't strike me as someone that's going to concern themselves much past their initial impression, nor will he consider the potential fall out of his words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.