Discussion Not enough time for sleep

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ars Nova, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ars Nova

Ars Nova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there.
    So the new semester has started for me since last month, and it is a literal hell. So much homeworks and stuffs, last year i usually came home at 4 pm, now i came home at 6-7 pm and there's still a ton of homework and private school to attend. ( School starts at 6.45 am, i'm asian )

So i'm left with the only option, cut my sleep time so i can have some free time. Now in a week i usually do 3 all-nighters with 30 min of sleep, and the other 4 days i only slept for 4 hours. ( which is starting to take a toll on my body, i felt sluggish everyday, and yesterday i almost couldn't even go out of my bed after doing a straight 2 days all-nighter, my vision turns yellow-ish for a good 1 hour after i woke up )

And well, my family isn't what you call a good one. Sometimes i got to do all the housechores alone since no one would help.

Any tips so i could survive the next 11 months ?

Amaruna Myu, sharlnina and Sharudeis like this.
  2. daoist water drop

daoist water drop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disregard females, acquire currency

3. Cite

Cite 『Procrastinator』

Reading List:
    Link
    Drink a lot of caffeine and just try to get as much sleep as possible. Cut your free time.

4. Xixi

Xixi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    school starts at 10 am for me lmao

5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleep.

Confront your family.

Sleep.

Honestly there are so many studies highlighting the importance of sleep. If you become sleep deprived your entire life including school and homework will begin to suffer.

Then it will start to affect your personality.
    Sleep is of paramount importance.

Pyoo, Shance, DarknessWolf and 9 others like this.
  6. Sethnix

Sethnix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That shouldn't be in the same sentence...

7. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    Same issues~
    I had days where I returned home at eight or nine. (I leave the house at 6 in the morning)
    1. Coffee is your best friend in this situation :ROFLMAO:
    2. Study on the way to and from school. Don't waste travel time. Do the same for mealtimes too.
    3. Don't pull all-nighters more than once a week. It ends up being counterproductive in the long run, and you might have trouble keeping awake during actual lectures and whatnot.
    4. Force your family members to help out. If they don't, refuse to do the chores too.
    I'm terrible at giving advice lol

8. genocidegrand

genocidegrand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    people stilll go to school these days? go skip it,

9. Pyrenose

Pyrenose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop being Asian lmao.
    But in all seriousness, you really need to talk with your parents or cut back school activity. I go to public school and I get home at around the same time you do. For me, cutting back personal time is taboo because it's time for you. What's the point of living if you don't have time for you?

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN and Ars Nova like this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm? what your schedule?
    I mean I can understand if you go school 6.45 am cuz I used to school at 6.30 am on high school and go home around 2~4 pm cuz club activity~
    homework is a must for student~
    what your other activity? cuz I have free time despite have chore and homework~
    ~ you need to improve your ability on both study and home chores
    ~ you can ask other to help for home chore(threat them) I mean cooking, cleaning house, laundry and da likes~
    ~ do homework with friend~ faster(relative) and it also can reduce stress if you talk to them
    ~ make a day off for yourself

Ars Nova likes this.
  11. Yue Er

Yue Er Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds pretty normal to me. So this is my tip. First you need to set a time where you will always go to sleep no matter what homework is left. Say 1 am or something. Then you need to prioritize what homework to do. Do some in class etc. Also, work with others on some homework so that you can share, and not do it all the time.

Edit: I am asian too. Also, my schedule was similar to yours. Wake up at 6, when sports was going on I would get home at 8 ish. Then food, shower = 10pm then do homework for a few hours before sleeping. Now I'm not entirely sure how much time you need to study but maybe I was just lucky that I learned quickly and retained information easily. Since I almost never had to study (despite taking basically all AP classes and passing all them tests at the end of they year)

12. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh at my school it starts at 8 am to 2:40 pm but I get late starts every Wednesday and I start at 9

13. methael

methael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont recommend in continuing being sleep deprived.

I was in a similar situation, i took extra courses which resulted in me taking too many courses than i could handle. I had to do chores, look for a job as well as visit ma girl and friends. In the end, i had to pull 1-3 all nighters per week, for 4 months. This resulted in me getting weird pimples on my legs, getting sick easier, my asthma came back and hair started to thin out. (Im a university student)

After the 4 months passed everything went back to normal. Except the hair, i lost a small chunck on the side. After visiting my doctor i was told that hair loss due to stress does grow back and it did. However, it took 7-8 months for that too happen....

Welp thats just my own experience.

Edit: My grades also suffered which wasnt worth all the trouble... :/

14. Ars Nova

Ars Nova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never had any GFs xD, my facial features is barely average
    Drink 2 glass of coffee every day, and i can't live without my free time. It would mean i'm being a robot and not doing anything anymore
    Nah, you seem to be better at dealing with this problem than me lol. Will try to do that btw
    Nice advice, i should say:hmm::facepalm:

15. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    They say that if you study for an hour, you only really retain the first and last 10 mins of the study.
    So here are a few links on how to study smart.
    http://lifehacker.com/study-less-study-smart-the-best-ways-to-retain-more-1683362205
    https://www.lingholic.com/memory-tip-12-divide-your-time-in-short-bursts-of-study/

Next about the chores:
    If you stop doing them, eventually someone else in the family will be forced to do them.
    All you need is the greater ability to endure.
    This is not a pleasant option.
    Life works best when everyone pitches in and shares it's burdens, but if they have free time, and are watching you struggle, and are not sharing the burden, then you need to take steps to correct the problem.

sharlnina, Ars Nova and Sharudeis like this.
  16. Vorpal

Vorpal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same situation here
    i just cut off my 7th period yesterday. teacher was super pissed but i was dying so i didn't care anymore

17. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you in highschool or university? Asian public school suuuuck. There is that demand to exceed so you can into a good university. And if you don't your only options are a lower ranked school which limits job prospects.

That's why I love american public schools. I didn't attend high school half the time and was kicked out. I got my GED and went to university for mechanical engineering. Now I'm an engineer and going for my masters degree. They let you in if you have money or are an ethnic minority which include the ivy leagues.

I didn't go through what you are going through until my junior year of college. I'm going to be honest, there's really nothing you can do if family doesn't help take some load off. I did the same things my junior year due to the massive amount of homework, projects, lab reports, and final projects I had to take. This not even mentioning the midterms and finals. I used to pull 36 hour days and then sleep 2 hours only to folloew up with 24-36 hour days again. But like I said, that was only my junior year of college. If your in highschool, your going to burn out. It does happen and it is really bad, especially when exams are near.

I would say to just forget everything and just go with the flow. But if school is instrumental to your future career, then your going to have to bite the bullet. It's only going to get worse the farther you go into a higher education.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Ars Nova likes this.
  18. iamgboy08

iamgboy08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    first, avoid caffein,. eat lots,! when you're full you tend to get sleepy,. avoid having a relationship, since riajuus must die,. ahem! anyways avoid doing chores aside from your studies,. focus only your self., or else you might acquire things called sickness., its gonna be more difficult then,. anyways if you get sick you will have a lot of rest so just avoid having an eternal sleep,.

19. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Do homework at school

20. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    a wise advice that came from a sage! you should follow this and take it into your heart. . .
    and also. . .choose your friends. . .
    say no to alcohol and smoke. . . why? the hell your on hectic sched and you still want to ruin your body?
    eat healthy meals, cheap it maybe stay away from junks, and instants,
    make time to temper your body atleast 15 min a day, sweat, sweat, sweat,
    follow Weed's guide. . . .
    assign chores to your younger siblings if you have some, small it maybe it will eat up sometime, and it will teach them to be responsible,
    oh and always rest when you can, relax once a week,

Tramsloof likes this.