[Rant] Isekai smartphone is horrible

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Expatamoeba, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    But for some reason. its the only anime I watch this season. Along with tsuredure children. I Really long hoped for katori sempai be animated.

2. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's doing pretty well in Japan ( official rating and non-official ) while others like MAL find it shittier :blobwoah:

3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Shield bros getting an anime next year. There was a teaser released too.

4. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...... The Japanese guys were the intended target audience, the guys at MAL are... not. Hence, it was made to match the taste of the Japanese... not the MAL...

I think an anime is "bad" when it is not accepted by its intended target audience, not some gaijin keyboard warrior who watch it via some torrent site.

Vilidious likes this.
  5. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm not completely wrong (I probably am), I've gotten the impression that Japan is a country where everyone thinks that everyone else is right. You know, because going against the flow and standing out is bad.

Since bland series are the least offensive and thus easiest to market as "cool" and as something that everyone (else) loves (whether it's true or not), they also easily get enormous popularity just because people want to conform to what everyone else thinks.

And then the prospective authors and big companies take heed of this popularity and take it further and further towards this "popular" bland grayness... and it'll still sell.

There'll still be those good JP authors with real talent and motivation to write different stories, but they'll be buried in the mass and become stuff for niche circles.

Anyway, like I mentioned at start, I'm probably wrong, but that's what it has started to look like to me. :/

6. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Because this is your perspective, not them.

TooLazyToThink and Vilidious like this.
  7. Vilidious

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. Though I'd take it a bit further and say that even if I was "them", I'd still probably wrong. :) Even Finns (my nationality) don't truly know what other Finns are like or what they think is cool or great, since we don't and can't peer into each others' brains (not in the physical sense).

I just feel it's a shame.

8. Yukkuri Oniisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Every people had a different "taste" that they consider proper.
    I like SoL "taste", I like the fluffiness and sweet "taste"... But, xianxia "taste" weird for me... The gung-ho testosterone-laden macho-violence "taste" also kinda bad..... But others hate the sugar taste but like the spicy-manly taste.
    Thus, what is good for me, is bad for them and vice versa.
    But, who has the better "taste"?
    Who the proper "taste"?

Hence why the debate about "taste" tends to be like ouroboros: endless, and we only get pain when eating each own tails.

So, there is no "bad" fiction. Only "boring" and "interesting"..... Even the infamous "My Immortal" or "The Eye of Argon" got ardent fan... For some reason that is unfathomable for me.............

Vilidious likes this.
  9. Vilidious

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely agree, though I kinda read that ouroboros metaphor a bit... dirtily... at first glance. :)

And unfortunately the markets tend to favor what sells (otherwise companies would go bankrupt or make too little profit), so some "taste"s won't be catered for being too unprofitable, which I find a bit sad.

But that's reality.

Only way to change it is to do something so good that it obviously sells so much through its novelty that public will end up knowing about it... and then that'll be a yet another fad for a few years that is copied everywhere and becomes "mainstream".

I guess when the selection of common "taste" becomes unbearable, just have to write one's own story and get it out of the system. :)

Edit:
    Oh yeah, to be clear(er), when I previously said it was a shame, I was talking about possibly great stories becoming lost in mass; not that different tastes are bad.

My mind and writing tends to move a bit... erratically, so it may sometimes become a bit confusing... sorry about that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  10. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow the anime looks popular.. some episodes got over 600 comments in average on some streaming sites..

11. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm each people has different taste so just because you didn't like something other people won't like those things too and wholly agree with you. This is my answer on why does Smartphone got an anime