Feature Request Replace the 5-stars rating system!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Dino Translation, Aug 20, 2017.

1. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Naa i don't think is a good idea to add a rate for translation quality.
    Low rate could generate demotivation in the young and inexperienced. Discouraging them to continue. Not everyone starts from the same level but with patience, constancy and commitment everyone can improve.

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Then the series just ends up suffering the low ratings. The ratings would be based on the series, not to the group. So if the group improves their future releases will have a better rating.

3. kaisersose

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: well it's not like i don't understand the problem but i have to be honest and i have not the ability to judge a translator and i think the majority of this community is in my same boat so... i hope you understand my point

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    And how exactly do you rate translations? Based on the English version? Do you have knowledge of the language the novels are translated from? If you don't, what qualification do you have to rate the translation? Most readers and probably the mods here on NU/NUF don't have knowledge of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc....
    I do agree that a distinction could be made, at least between normal translation and MTLs, but other than that it wouldn't make a difference if there are 2 or 3 different rating systems.

P.S.: I believe this thread was made multiple times already and has already been answered by mods and admin if I'm not mistaken...

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. panoz

panoz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    duh, you are not mistaken, it just slipped by me, didn't search enough, sorry about that..
    And it should be made sticky..

As for the rest of the post, anyone can judge if what they're reading is proper english. I am not a native english speaker though, and I have studied japanese for some time but still cannot judge if the translation is accurate, but I can say whether what I'm reading is proper english.

And because, personally, I wouldn't say that a translation is garbage (though I would if it was an obvious copy/paste from some mtl service, most mtranslators are at least trying to make sense), I see many who criticize way too negatively and would like it to stop..
    I thought that they could at least express their disagreement by voting and not by thrashing the reviews..

The mods should lock this..
    Thanks for your replies guys!

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I don't think most people know what the original translator wrote is good or not, but you can rate on grammar. Usually the translations that lack accuracy tend to also have poor grammar as the point gets lost and you see inconsistencies.

7. panoz

panoz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although you all have valid points, the most important factor is the developer. If changing the system is a big burden on the developer and requires changing the backbone of the system, I don't think it's ever going to be implemented.

Better think of something that can be added with little to no changes.

mrttao likes this.
  8. kaisersose

Reading List:
    Link
    My personal opinion is that there are still more potential harm rather than benefits from rating translation.
    Have a nice day and bye

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on? Can you be more specific?

mrttao likes this.
  10. kaisersose

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on what i already told in my other post. I still think that most of us reader don't even have the qualification of judging others grammar level (me for sure).

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't judge if something is readable or not readable? I am pretty confident 9/10 people can catch MTL that hasn't been edited well.

12. kaisersose

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup but you see it's just that i don't see a purpose in doing this. That's all.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    There is quite a bit of purpose, especially when a series gets taken over. In my case I dropped quite a few novels because the ones doing the translations stopped and it got taken over by MTL. Then there was a bunch of MTLs taking it over one by one. Then at one point a real group resumed it and I didn't even notice because I just assumed it was yet another MTL.

Not to mention I think it would improve the quality of translations and translators can have a better understanding of where they stand from a community standpoint and try to improve upon it.

14. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    I start to think that rating the genres of a novel is a good idea. It doesn't help the translators neither reduce te trash rating/reviews but it help the reader to evaluate if the novel if it's worthy to read or not. This probably is too much hard work so I'm going to push but I can explain why I think it's good if someone it's interested.