So why do you read Asian novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Exterial, Aug 22, 2017.

?

do you read western novels more or asian novels more?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2017.
  1. i read asian novels more.

58.3%
  2. i read western novels more.

6.1%
  3. a mix of both

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime usually has more depth than ln's or xianxia, take SAO for example, anime was the first one with VR so it got waaaaay more popular than it should have because the point of the story should've been leveling up trought the tower, but the tower levels were skipped lol, anyway it was still okay but then I tried SAO ln and I was like is this even a novel? It was like a script with bad story telling. Even Overlord is way better as an anime than in a long winded wn with focus on weak irrelevant characters every new chapter. What's the difference between Naruto and xianxia then? Well Naruto has characters.

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there are names and names out there, some we like, some we dislike... I personally prefer titles that say something about the story, rather than just a name.
    Well, too bad you can't find the good novels, just like there is bad xianxia out there, there are also bad isekai, you just need to find the good ones.
    Well, it's your fault for not being able to discern a good work from a bad one simply from the synopsis.
    Well... Did you ever go to a library? Or to a bookstore?

Those things are big... Really big. They have lots of titles on them.

You need some criteria to decide on which will be the novels in which you'll read the synopsis, and if you like the synopsis, you might buy it... The criteria might be anything, a nice cover, an interesting title, a good choice of colors on the book, a catching font for the title... Anything, you need something to decide which will be the novels you'll bother with reading the synopsis of.

Well, what if the only thing available is the title? Because that's what happens with WN. You need something to capture your reader when all the usual methods of attracting them are not available to you... Summarizing your story on the title is a good method IMO, a lot better than making a simple title that says nothing about your book.
    Dunno why you are bothering with a discussion about quality if you don't care about quality though. *shrugs*
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Alright, I got it, you simply don't know how to read, that's it, I'm good. *rolls away*

Carm likes this.
  3. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    You're hopeless - I said the readers like you who like summary titles don't care about quality,not me. Why did you spam a wall of emoticons to my comment on Naruto and xianxia when you said yourself you never read xianxia? I don't know if you're trolling or are just that ugh I don't know. Go ahead and read JP romance web novels that have more quality than HP and others,on ignore- bye.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. Emy.

Emy. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started from the bottom to the top .

anime - manga - Asian novels .

simply because the literature in my own country is so shitty that I almost completely hated reading books for some time and Asian ones are more entertaining ( even with the tropes and shite)

5. Ironfist Sect

Ironfist Sect Catch these hands!✊✊

Reading List:
    Link
    Got bored of manga
    Is this your villain origin?

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  6. mudslap

mudslap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the heck? Some of you have to understand how to compare differences properly. If you're comparing western web novels, compare them against Eastern web novels. If you're comparing western novels, compare them against Eastern novels.

Don't compare eastern web novels to western novels and vice versa.

Lack of plot, boring characters, fillers, slow development.

There are many criticisms one can point against the novels they have read. There will always be different taste especially since western and Eastern cultures are significantly different from one another, along with the writing style.

All these stupid arguments about comparing western and Eastern is so freaking redundant. At the God damn end of the day, it doesn't matter if one novel is boring, full of fillers, have amazing story, great character development in it. Whether it's western or Eastern.

Because at the end of the day, people read for entertainment. This simply leads to readers' preferences. As much as all those that posted about the cons of western of eastern novels, it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

There's a reason why there are novels that appeal to western and eastern community. Both sides have high popularity from their readers.

Each and everyone of you arguing have a point indeed. But it's comparison like this thread that make the community fight. Who the hell cares in the end? Those that want to argue should seriously keep their mouths shut for once. If there's a reason why a novel has high fan base, it's there for a reason. Don't be the minority and go against it by explaining all the cons of a novel.

It's more on readers' preference and they could even like both eastern and western novels equally for all I care. Complaining about the western or eastern novels and the differences behind them won't do any good to anyone.

All this commotion. So freaking redundant. Look at the arguments in the pages of this thread. Sigh.

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Arguing about things while keeping things civil is fun though?

Besides, I get nuffies and I increase my message count by doing that, it's pretty worth it overall.

Aiiee and kaisersose like this.
  8. Xpekt

Xpekt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read eastern web novel because they have more novels that contain the themes i like. such as magic. Also western story has such a lackluster explanation on becoming stronger. I am not sure what western novels we are comparing to, but the ones that is most similar that i have read would be Wheel of time or sword of truth. Size, magic, and not in the modern world ( which are 3 out of x i look for) in these novels the strength of the characters can usually be summarized with "Chosen one".

in western novels the characters are very black or white. while in asian everyone is a piece of shit. I find the latter more realistic in a harsh world without laws to control the upper ring. which is why i think game of throne is so popular since it doesn't follow the normal disney guideline of writing.

web novels are also easier to consume then novels. to me song of ice and fire book 4 was hard to read (was much younger at the time and the tv series hadn't launched yet, might be part of the reasons)

the biggest advantage asian WN have over western novels, they are easy to pick up, and easy to drop if you dont like it. Western novels often take a bit of time before they get good so you need to invest more before dropping it, unless you are reading a book because of a tv series/movie that is adapted from the novel. So you pretty much have pick novels based on recommendation or if you like the authors previous work.

However i haven't read any novels that has come out in the last 4 years so if there are any recommendation i will look into it :)

9. mudslap

Reading List:
    Link
    I get where you're coming from. I never really thought much about it but what can you do with all the nuffies you have earned? Or is it just something for display purposes for self satisfaction?

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on each person, there are 3 main uses for it... In order of popularity, they are:

1) Hoarding them like a dragon! Rawr!!!!
    2) Using them to buy icons at the shop.
    3) Donating them to @Get Tony To Tease Parth Fund , since we need 1000000 to buy the item at the shop, it's best to donate it all to that account if you wish for it to ever be a thing.

Personally speaking? I hoard them to host contests later on, I spent 10k nu£ on the NUF's anniversary contest that is happening right now, and I spent around 13-14k nu£ on the NU anniversary contest that was held a while ago.

Aiiee likes this.
  11. mudslap

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow. Never knew you can use nuffies for those contests since I never checked them. Thanks for the info :D

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there are all kinds of contests, mod-hosted contests usually give some nuffies (from the bank) and a medal.

When users host contests, they can't give medals, but we can always give the nuffies we have earned from our hardwork to the people participating! \(^^)/

It's not common for users to hold contests though, but it's nice when it happens~

mudslap likes this.
  13. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forguet to include in the number 6 the secret grandpa whos ancient spirit got found by the Mc in some sort of relique that looks totally useless, and consider the MC like his blood grandchild.

14. Catacus

Catacus The God of Cat's & Potato's

Reading List:
    Link
    when life starts beating the shit out of you and there's nothing to diminish the pain in your heart, then you find novels, fiction and anime. That pain is numb for awhile but it always comes back so you get stuck in a cycle that keeps looping...
    sorry about that i'm having a bad year... again :(

mir and Tramsloof like this.
  15. Comet_Vomit

Comet_Vomit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It all comes to taste . My school made me hate quite a lot of western or my own country's literature but I like LN and WN . It's a nice change of pace from all the crap I gotta read during the time I had to get marks for summaries , essays etc

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally speaking, I always thought school did a terrible job in making people read.

If they made us read some fun well known books instead of the "classics", a lot more people would get into reading imho...

mir and Tramsloof like this.
  17. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always disliked the whole idea of 'if it's not literature, it's not worth reading' that I've heard around sometimes.
    I think that idea may be a big part of why schools do that.

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the purpose of school shouldn't be to try and get people into "literature"... Like it or not, most of those books are boring.

People don't want to read boring stuff, filling most of our school years with boring books probably has the opposite effect on incentiving people to read.

I think they should leave the "literature" to people that actually want to study it, and instead promote more entertaining reads on school, it would probably increase the amount of readers IMO.

I completely disagree with the idea of only reading if it's "literature" as well! Reading is a hobby! It needs to be fun! Not bothersome!!! >.<

19. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @mir - @brasca123
    i hope you are joking...
    You can't say this for real how could you compare Dante's Divina Commedia or one of shakespeare masterpiece (here put every country masterpiece) with a web nove or a manga? This is madness xD When i was in school i admit i used to hate those books but then i realized how i was wrong and i started reading them again. Maybe is the teacher's approach that is wrong and maybe they could add something fresch but classics are very important and must be not forgot.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Never read shakespeare or Dante's work on school, I read national classics.

I don't think school has the purpose of forcing you to read boring stuff... Sure, talk about it, tell your students to go rent it at the library... Force them to read it? Nah, they'll just get bored out of their minds and never read a book again as soon as high school ends.

Classics have great content, show the mindset of their period, make social critics and what not... It's great!

... If you're interested in it. Otherwise, it will just annoy people out of their mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.