Feature Request Require 3 star rating and below to write a review

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Luneder, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I notice this a lot with new novels but almost as soon as they are added someone gives them a 1 star rating, sometimes more than one person. Most of them are troll ratings from what I can see so I think if it is possible 3 star and below ratings should require a written review not only so other readers can know why a novel is being rated bad but also to make it harder for a troll rater to largely sway a novels rating without being noticeable as a troll in their written review.

BabaNovac and Jbird like this.
  2. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    And you think good troll reviews don't exist?

EDIT: Some troll reviews are very very convincing

3. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    This feature wont work since some works just need a 1 star and a review.

What I think is for enabling reviews and ratings when the chapter only passed 50 so that people who rates and review after 1 chapter would be gone.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    So... If you hate something you need to explain it, but if you love it you don't?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Besides, it would just artificially increase the overall rating of most new novels... Would make the rating system even more unreliable than it already is.
    It wouldn't work, one-shots, series with very slow translation speed, short stories and series with really long chapters would all be hurt by it.

If you think carefully about it, even series with 1 chapter/week (which is amazingly fast imho) would need one year to get ratings and reviews... It would never work.

5. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, forgot about those things, since NU can pick up the translation speed, i think that it can segregate those with fast and slow release and make exceptions with slow release. Though it would be much of work.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    People will just post "This is a bad novel" and that's it.

What I would do though is make the system a bit smarter and do collective purges. Aka, like a 10% rule. Purge all votes of users who read less than 10% of the novel, good or bad.

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... You suggest someone has to suffer through 200 chapters of a bad novel if it has 2000 chapters?

I don't think anyone would read this many chapters of a bad work just for the sake of saying that they disliked it...

Or... They could just put the chapter 2000 on their reading list even if they hadn't read that much.

Seems kinda useless to me.

8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer to that is still yes. A rating should represent the novel as a whole. Plus how many novels have over 2000 chapters? a niche few, even most chinese ones stop somewhere at 1000 something. (there are exceptions of course). But I don't think 99% of novels should suffer due to 1% exceptions.

But either way, someone who read 200 chapters rating should at least be weighed more than someone who only read 3 chapters. Is that not the case?

Edit: If it bugs you so much you could do 10% or 50 chapters.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    No, not really... 50 chapters is still way too much... Honestly, I'd argue that 10 chapters is too much if the novel is bad.

Rating is subjective, it shows how much you liked the novel, not how good it is... If you dreaded the first 3 chapters to drop it right away, I don't see why your vote should mean less than someone that read 500 chapters and then decided to drop it.

StuffedDuck, Aiiee and kaisersose like this.
  10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Rating is subjective, but again the rating has to be fair and rate the novel as a whole. Imagine someone were to criticize you based on only 1 year of your childhood even as an adult?

Review of Brasca: Wets the bed, cries a lot, snobby child - based on knowing 1 year of childhood.

1 year is more than enough right? You wouldn't think that is fair either now would you? despite it being "subjective".

If you can't even go through 10 chapters, it just means it's not your thing, but that doesn't mean that its a poor novel. To judge somethign fairly, you have to go through at least a certain amount of chapters, simple as that. Otherwise it is no different then judging a book by it's cover.

Since I mostly read the highest rated novels it is hard to give a good example, but in anime which I tend to pick up a few per season: Madoka, Baccano, the first 2 episodes are terrible/nothing special. If I judged them by the first 2 episodes alone I would drop them. But beyond that they turn into masterpieces. Is it fair to judge them solely on those 2 episodes? No it isn't.

Edit: I just remembered a few novel examples:
    absolute choice - first few chapters are almost unrelated
    I was a sword when I reincarnated - first few chapters were boring
    legend - same as above

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of people that drop novels on the spot if the first chapter is an info dump.

I think their view is completely valid and they have all the right to rate it 1 star, even if I think that their reason is silly.

The first few chapters are the most important aspect of any novel (actually of anything, games, movies, anime... The part that will actually make your client decide if they'll give your work a shot or jump to the next one), if the author failed to capture you on those, then they failed on the most important point of their writing... I think it's fair to judge the novel on that, even if they improved later on.

StuffedDuck, Blitz, Aiiee and 2 others like this.
  12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn't represent them rating the novel though...

No... that is just encouraging bad practices upon writers. This is also what leads to many poorly written novels, the authors try to stuff so much elements into the first chapter to hook attention that it actually ends up limiting their work's potential. Because anything you introduce, you end up bound by. Forcing them either to scrap it or stick to it.

Proper writing has always been to start out slow and build up to the climax. It sets a pace for reading. If you look at many masterpieces and classics, that's how they have been written. The whole catchy beginning is more of a recent thing due to poor attention spans. Hence why you get flashy covers and the like to hook people in. It is exactly the saying of "Judging a book by it's cover"

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Please do enlighten me on how you decide on which books you'll read the synopsis of, surely you don't check the synopsis of all books in your local library...

Judging things by the cover is okay, judging by the first chapter is also okay, it's what tells you if that work is worth your time or not.

It's not a matter of attention spam, ot's a matter of time... Check my reading list, see how many novels I'm up to date with... 3? 4? A bit more probably because some were dropped by the translator... I don't have time to read 10 chapters to decide if something is good or not. Either there is somethinf... Rather, anything that captivated me on those first 3 chapters, or it is dropped.

Aiiee and kaisersose like this.
  14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, but there is a difference between liking something and rating something. Would you rate books based on their covers? No. Same thing.

This is why some people leave reviews without a rating. They give their 2 cents but don't rate it because they might think it is too early to judge or they have not read enough due to it not being their thing. You make it sound like leaving a rating is a requirement.

Rating should be done by those who read enough to judge.

15. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, there's a difference between an info dump on the first chapter and good writing on the first chapter.

I agree with brasca on this. A good novel needs a good opening. It's not about whether it has lots of stuff in the beginning or if it starts off slow or whatever. It's about intriguing the readers in the first 5 chapters. And this isn't only done by putting up lots of things and plots. It's done by showing glimpses of the novel and the mystery you would find in the further chapters.
    A novel can have a slow start and still be intriguing enough in the first few chapters. This is an undeniable fact. It's only whether the author is able or not.

A good writer has a plot line. Any author that doesn't have a plot line shouldn't be writing. I think authors who do this are bad writers and shouldn't be writing until they actually know what writing a novel entails. However, most authors who do this will do this (as in not have a plot line) would not have a plot line anyway even if they don't info dump on the first few chapters. Just that they didn't show it by doing the "writing then scraping".
    I'd rather know than don't know tho~ So I wouldn't really mind this. At least I'd know that the author is an asshole who doesn't think thoroughly when they write rather than thinking they are amazing when all they did was just wing it.

StuffedDuck, Aiiee and AliceShiki like this.
  16. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on what the author is trying to accomplish. Sometimes its a good idea to get the info dump out of the way when people are paying attention so you can get to the actual story. Because midstory, infodumps become unbearable as people want to skip to the actual plot.

You can show glimpses of the story, but each reader has their own set of comprehension. I often see people miss subtle hints offered by the author.

Books are also aimed at audience groups and genre. Sometimes a book may be aimed at intellectual crowd which may be offputting for the average reader.... but that doesn't make it bad.

Some novels are better off when the plot line is obscure from the reader and put together. Lets look at The Lazy King . If you read it normally, you don't see much of a plot line. But after you finish reading it and read again, you see all these subtle hints that have been given about the plot and it all coming together.

Plots can be more sophisticated then simply "lets go kill the demon king" or "lets get revenge".

17. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On this i partially agree but how you do this? It's hard to make a perfect rate sistem there's always a flaw. It's too complicated and like brasca said in a previous post you might penalize short stories and one shot.
    This problem is generated by people who abuse the rate system but there's no way of getting rid of this. People could lie saying they read 200 chapter and rate the novel... So you are at the starting point

StuffedDuck and AliceShiki like this.
  18. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course there is no way to make it perfect. But you can make it better.

10% or 50 chapters, if it is a short story like say invisible dragon, you could rate it after 5 chapters since it is 10%.

While it does not completely eliminate liars, it will help out stories just starting out. A lot of ratings are given on first few chapters when it just came out and people don't come back to actually read the story and update their ratings. It's hard to argue those ratings are pretty worthless.

19. kaisersose

kaisersose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    % can work with short novel but there are some titles who goes over 1000 chapter and that can be a big problem.
    But you sure have a point in your post.

20. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't make sense that you would force this only upon those who rate it 3 or below. That would just raise the ratings to all the novels and some of the more popular novels would get lower ratings... :blobconfused:
    You can either force it on all of them or not at all. If you do, however, you're risking having close to no rating at all.

StuffedDuck, Aiiee and AliceShiki like this.