Discussion Are chinese novels losing their steam?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lyase, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaloo

kaloo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, absolutely. They're not as fresh anymore. Just like JP novels dropped as we got used to their tropes and styles. We're past the point where the CN novels are fresh and exciting. People are used to their stuff now. The recent influx of KR novels is fresh and exciting, but soon people will be used to their story conventions too.

2. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    staling bread

3. batotit

batotit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Naah.
    It's just that people have been reading chinese web novels for so long that they learned chinese already and doesn't need translation...

4. LPdC_Nazgul

LPdC_Nazgul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from The Book Eating Magician, is there any other regularly updated KR novel that isn't either a "get money asap MMO" or "dungeons appearing on earth, now gotta put the power levels of a 2000 chapter Chinese novel in 200 chapters while being edgy"? I know there are some different ones, but how often do they get updated? At least that's my view on KR novels, maybe there are some untranslated or something...

SilverFeather, kruznick and Prime43 like this.
  5. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    probably because a lot of people run to mtl when it comes to cn, and its a hell of a mess to know what it mean

6. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably. It's just getting too repetitive lately. Only few CNs give original ideas and have good plot.. it's something I'm starting to notice lately. Qidian translates a lot of unnecessary works too, when they could be translating better Novels sigh.
    It's hard to say about KR since translators have to pay for chapters! But I do think KR been on the rise lately. But it's more based on Game Systems or Apocalyptic worlds. I wish there were more Martial Arts/Cultivating KRs.. like Reincarnated Scholar or Rebirth of Demon. Anyways, these are just my simple little thoughts. Only time will tell I guess

readerz likes this.
  7. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Zongheng?

readerz likes this.
  8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I bet that chinese learnt solely from web novels would seem like gibberish in an actual conversation. lol

9. SummerX

SummerX Well-known fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read CN novels and I never touch those 1000+(the only exception being TKA and I think it's too long) chaps novels or cultivation novels or reincarnation novels
    but it seems those are the only ones that get translated and become popular.
    ...I think that's most people's taste

10. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Doubt it. Just look at the ever increasing viewership of WW, GT, VN, QI, etc.

11. Tulihunt

Tulihunt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Way too many cliches in cn and not enough evil mc's

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of the appeal of CN novels has been that a lot of people were so used to JP betas, that a CN alpha killing everyone and getting his way is appealing. But even that wears off. I think KR novels have far better protagonists in general which are more realistic. That is not to say that KR novels don't have their own flaws, but by average I found them better than the average JP or CN novel.

13. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more like this: Due to the various happenings recently, and some other factors, it is more common for newly started CN novels to drop. Too many disappointments from dropped novels, leaves more people wary of engaging in new ones (1-100 chapters released).

There is also the severe lack of readers. There is QI's involvement. There are bad reviews that play a role, and then there is that the novel is just stupid.

1. Because more readers are waiting for chapters to rack up into the fifties or even the hundreds before they read, not many are reading newly translated novels. They are in wait and see mode to binge.

This actually causes those translators that are looking for novels based on popularity to drop the novel all together. They think it's not doing well, and so, just stop. The more and more this happens, the more readers tend to stay away from beginning novels, and so, the cycle continues and devolves.

2. QI's involvement, with the taking away of novels that translators have put months, even years in, has caused many that have contributed to the community to leave the scene. This dilutes the Veteran "Creator" population, but opens it up for new translators, most of which are not yet accustomed to getting the hang of things.

Furthermore, a lot of 'good' novels are, indeed, Qidian novels. Qidian has a large share of the Chinese Web Novel space, and is quite popular. With many new fan translators no longer looking for those novels, it puts a strain on decisions for readers as they are looking for something they can be sure will be to their taste.

3. Often with newer novels, even novels that have reached chapter 40 or 100, people are only just beginning to take notice. But after the 5th Bad review or 5th 'Rating: 1' because the novel isn't that person's cup of tea (particular genre), the translator quits. Often it takes just 1 bad comment or review to ruin a guy's day. Can you imagine after doing several chapters, each that takes anywhere from 2-9 hours of your day?

4. The novel is just stupid. Many translators have actually not read ahead. Or they have read half of the novel before they decided to do it. By the time they are deep into it, people find out the novel sucks! There are so many translations and novels like this that readers are more skeptical of things. And so, one generic line or synopsis, is enough for them to stay wary. No one wants to talk about a novel they are not sure they can proudly say, "Yes! It was gooood!!"

5. Most of the Korean translators have a lot to pick from. Since there are not many KN translations out there yet, they have a lot of novels to pick from. So, they can just pick a popular novel, and bam! It's instant success.

6. With the often success of Korean Translations, more people would be willing to test Korean Novels, as they often have an idea of what they are getting. It is quite similar in that aspect with JP novels.

7. The Korean translators that are currently participating are good. Furthermore, Google Translate actually does a better job for Korean than it does for Chinese. So, for Korean novels that don't have a lot of Chinese characters or use simpler characters in the Korean alphabet (things that don't have multiple meanings) it makes things a lot smoother.

At the end of the day it's about what has had the best type of "Press" lately. Chinese novels have had this bad air around them recently, and so, less people involve a discussion.

I can't say there are less readers, but more there are less readers that will be willing to test a Chinese novel on their 1 hour of free time. They would rather wait and see, and read something that is known to be good in the meantime.

readerz, fuzor100 and Reak like this.
  14. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    What? Reddit?? It has been blocked in my country for years

15. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No new CN novels that truly stick out of the crowd, there's a lack of innovativity(is that a word?), the only chinese novel that's truly innovative and has more than 50 chapters that's been translated in the past 3-6 months is "When A Mage Revolts"(the rest is basically face-slapping underdog cultivation stories, that have the same flaws when it comes to storytelling), then you've got 6+ new Korean novels that seem innovative when you look at the overall market, that have neither of the japanese and chinese novel's major flaws.

readerz likes this.
  16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    In Soviet Russia, Steam loses Chinese novels.:hmm:

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, they are still as popular as before, don't judge it based on how many discussions are there, judge it by the amount of people that read and never drop a comment.

Nimroth likes this.
  18. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Cos we've been reading Chinese novels a lot the excitement has worn off a bit. But they're still popular I think since loads of people read them and there are new novels being translated all the time. Korean novels are becoming more available and they're something new so people are excited over them now. For me Chinese are popular, it's Japanese novels that are the unpopular ones~

readerz likes this.
  19. Cryotic

Cryotic Nora's Psychic◈Nora's Silly Wife◈春雷◈暗いよ

Reading List:
    Link
    because CN novels= QI apparently..
    and yeah, I think it's because KR novels are not that popular before, but now with TLs translating more KR novels, it's bound to become popular. Plus, people who read a lot of CN novel will sooner or later get bored with all the cultivation genre stuffs

20. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    best explanation here.

I'm a good example I knew reddit but I never lurk or browse there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.