Discussion Absurdism - Searching for meaning

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rizase, Sep 14, 2017.

?

This is an unclear question

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bored again so don't take this too seriously.
    Before we get into anything, first take a look at this definition
    [​IMG]
    People often ask or look for the meaning of life, and I think some do find it while some other will never do.
    Let's look into some of the stories well known to most of us, even what we think are the most irrelevant characters have some meaning in the story. For example:

Main Character - The chosen one
    Beautiful boy/girl - Love interest
    Small fry minion - Stepping Stone
    Arrogant young master - Palm lover
    Random side characters - Filler

They all played a role in the story, all of their lives have some meaning in entertaining us. Then I look at real life and question myself
    "Is there a meaning in my life?"
    Not long after I asked myself again
    "Is there any meaning in looking for one?"
    Finally I came to a conclusion that no there isn't. Most people are busy enough just living their life they never even question it unless it was bought up to them, came and gone living a meaningless life, so then what's wrong having no meaning in your life?

Afterward I went and look for random people telling them "your life is meaningless", they all got really mad for some reason so I stopped after a while.
    After thinking for a bit I decided to change my approach, this time asking them a serial of questions:
    "Do you prefer to be restrained?"
    Most of them said no and a few other ran away... ok a lot ran away but whatever. (Some said yes though, somehow they scared me)
    Then I asked "Do you have one or is looking for a meaning in your life?"
    A lot said yes in different way, like I was meant to better the world, or meant to help people in need, and some other religious answers I can't bring in here.
    Finally I asked "you are already so restrained as it is just living your everyday life, why do you further looking to restrain yourself by looking for/putting a definite role on yourself? Are you secretly a masochist?"
    They got mad again.

Anyway I kinda forgot my original purpose in writing this post.. well, does it even matter? Feel free to make any counter or agreement or additional info.
    [​IMG]

Sharudeis likes this.
  2. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is absurd.

mir and Rizase like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Well since you brought it up... Here is my counter argument:

[​IMG]

PS I have no clue where you are getting but cats are the answers to everything

nexusmadao and StuffedDuck like this.
  4. SimplyAShadow

SimplyAShadow Not Dead Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    You haven't made a point, really. The only semblance of an argument is that you've concluded that there is no point in looking for meaning in life, but you don't support it in any way that would allow reasonable forms of agreement or counterargument.

All in all, 5/10 shitpost, meh

5. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess ppl find it when they are close or on death's door... you should try asking someone who almost died, his answer should be worthy considering.

6. Namsa

Namsa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    light novels are the meaning of life. So there is meaning in life.

Rizase likes this.
  7. Rizase

Rizase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's the point, there's no point to make

8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Because people can reason and are self-aware, they look for a meaning in being alive, because they can't accept there's no meaning and that they simply exist just like the other animals. If there's a meaning, it's to be alive and procreate, but the individual doesn't matter. Because of that fear, there's religion to promise meaning and afterlife. There's also 'love' to give meaning to procreation.

Life must exist, because the universe ultimately 'needs' for there life to exist as its final product for self observation. But I can't say human beings are the final product or just an experiment until something better crops up. Individually, we don't matter. What matters is what we create and leave behind as a civilization, and the trend is the observation and understanding of life, the world, and the universe. But we're still far from that.

Well, people will get mad at that kind of thinking. They probably have a loved one who's dead, like a parent or grandparent, and they want to believe their soul still exists somewhere, 'Nothing gets lost, it just goes back to the whole.' They also don't want their own 'self' to disappear when they die, because of fear. They want to be able to exist in some other form and can't accept that things might just end for them as it ends for any fish, lizard, or fly.

Rizase likes this.
  9. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    You are so wrong :facepalm:

There are so many points to make.
    ... some more
    ... and even more ...

and . another one
    soooooooooooooooooooooo many points to make ...........................................................................................................

10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People tend to get mad when someone random comes up to them and tells them what the meaning of their life is or isn't.
    People want to decide for themselves. Going to a religious/cult leader and asking them to tell you the answer still counts as the person deciding in a way, because they decided to go there.
    But when a random religious/cult person flags down random people on the street and gives them a lecture, tells them what the reality is (according to them) or presses a pamphlet into the random persons hands, random person tends to get very annoyed or mad, though many will try to be polite about it and try to exit the situation as quick as possible to avoid further lectures.
    Maybe that's why those people got mad.
    Plus other things other posters mentioned.

Now have a cookie :cookie: and stop frightening people by making them think you wanna tie them up. :sweating_profusely:

11. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    I found the answer with long image
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I've no clue what you trying to do, but I'm sure it have to do with world destruction.