When will it be possible ? At all ... [ Game Question ]

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by UnknownHermit, Sep 25, 2017.

1. UnknownHermit

UnknownHermit Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have scrutinized the good games on the net for some years now , and i tought that ... Man , we are almost in 2018 But there is still no game with SELF-AWARE A.I NPC's like Mitsuku ... wtf .

Like , woudn't it be fucking amazing to speak through your keyboard with them ? or with a microphone with delay [ or not ] you press , speak and release so that your character says it with HIS voice to the NPC you speak ... and they have their own things to do , like : Going to work at the mines , chop wood , eat , speak among themselves and with you like normal humans , have se- ... oops , and persistent world . Even when you are out they still do their business ... like : scheming to overthrow the king , creating underground factions like an assassin's guild , Officials who are managing the finances of the empire , and needed individuals [ NPC'S ] that are needed to run the empire/kingdom . And they all interact with each other even the normal npc's you see in the streets !

I know it sounds a bit wtf , and would require a strong pc for something like that to even work since the amount of data loaded for every npc's thoughts would be immense ... but it would be nice none the less for such a game to be made Right ??? :whistle:

2. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    'It's just a prank bro' would go crazy. Censorship will be hard to control, it'll just be like the net plus 20 times crazier.

3. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than that, the most difficult would be the programming for the individual AI's of each NPC. Every action and reaction needs to be coded, as well as different to make every character unique. This is to make it so the NPC can respond to any question with an appropriate response.

WeiFish, kenar and CheezyMayo like this.
  4. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    once a.i. programming become cheap. . .
    maybe. . . .
    and hell why not just make one? you can start now,

5. Linley

Reading List:
    Link
    This is also why Siri or Bixby or Alexa are so limited in their capability. While it has advanced, to make a game on the scale you're talking about will still be many years ahead of us. Not like 300, but maybe 10

6. thorlong

thorlong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having something like that would ruin a perfectly good game. You would need to type in oddly specific sentences to get a desired result. Now programing more flavor into an NPC like having it say different things on different times of the day or days of the week would be nice but would bloat the amount of code required in the game. Never mind the potential for some @$$hat programer trying to break the game.

Then you need to keep the game playable for some consoles to make big bucks (historically). Now you need to pay attention to what the consumer expects out of a game.

It would be interesting though if there were crowd sourced builds for NPCs. Some of the first things I would do is make small groups of female NPCs vanish or act slightly meaner 2-3 days a month, for realism.

7. noire125

noire125 Belongs Nowhere

Reading List:
    Link
    Not so much as that, but at least I'm wishing for a game world that is "alive". RPG npc that interacts with you with the currently on-going world events, not just recorded dialogue. Their opinions, rumors, your reputation, etc. Like how a normal person would interact if they're being spoken to. That would be awesome, talk about immersion. :D
    It's kind of immersion breaking when you just saved a continent and you talk to the npc, and they say the same old things you heard from them from the beginning. Accidentally destroying/stealing something and all the city guards treat you like a criminal, lol. Even if you're the legendary dragonborn. xD

8. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

kenar likes this.
  9. Prolux

Prolux [Specifically Lazy] [Weirdly Motivated]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not 10 years. Maybe 20 or thirty. Definitely not ten. I prefer it to be 2050 or later since i'll be old and won't care.

10. Avarrencus

Avarrencus 『Tier 0 : True Infinity』

Reading List:
    Link
    A heavy modded skyrim can give you that. Well, not that close... But NPC's are quite alive. Like going to stores, cooking, working, buying, and go adventuring and hunting, also at night they also do that, if you know what I mean.

And your wife can cheat you, if you neglect her needs.

11. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    And we get less time to talk to a real human...

12. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know if its a matter of time or we need some genius to breakthrough.
    But if it is just a matter of time i think 30 years or so might be enough, prob more tho.
    What you want is very, very hard to accomplish, and its not like the government is funding billions into the research of this.

13. JarJarThinks

JarJarThinks Addicted to Monster Hunter Generations

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds impractical, unessessary and just an all around bad idea to attempt to make a reality.

Let's assume it voice acted, because of course a system like this would be voice acted. It'd be cool. Except you'd have to have someone act out every single piece of dialogue, tens if not over a hundred hours of dialogue for each NPC.

Ok, lets have it be text only. How do you generate responses for each NPC? After all, if they all had similar responses it wouldn't be very convincing. Each personality, circumstance and player interaction has to have a unique feel or else the whole point of this falls apart...

Ok, leta assume we have a dialogue system that could handle personalities and player interaction decently. How would you have a story? 9/10 players would just mess around, piss off NPCs, or experiment in ways that might lead to odd immersion breaking events.

Speaking of players messing around, how would you handle poorly inputed responses by the player? What about mispronounced words? What about accents?

The absolute closest Ive seen for this kinda of "game" is Facade from 2005 I think found here: http://www.interactivestory.net

Its flawed, not exactly immersive, requires specific inputs to properly advance the story. And Facade could only be created because of its tiny scale, everything happens in a tiny apartment. To expand on Facade's system isnt realisticly possible once you have to implement 40 more NPCs.

14. Avarrencus

Avarrencus 『Tier 0 : True Infinity』

Reading List:
    Link
    About mispronounced words and messing around, NPC's could just respond something like "What are you talking about?" then shoos off and you just fked the main quest. lol

15. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    so, you would play it for like, 2-3 hour?? talking and writing is different, the time needed to talk would make you get sick of it in no time.

There are a lot of ppl studing how to make AI better, in fact, we already have robots who can "learn" through listening and asking, hell, someone from my college was working onto a project where the robot had to recognize between white and black ppl.
    you ppl are underestimating how far research into AI has gone... ofc it will take a while to see it into a PC... and ofc, not many ppl are so nice as to share their research with everybody just so you can play a game where you cant tell if a bot is human or not.

16. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... those are like the lowest priority when making most games...

Since 99% of stuff that moves in games are probably destined to be killed by the player whether it's sooner or later. The rest of 1% would be giving you a clue to finish your quest to save the world. (And probably getting killed by you after that if the game allows it). So why bother giving them advanced A.I?

Game makers know Gamers are psychopaths. Giving NPC Self-Awareness will just make them suffers more.

That's how we got Robo-Uprising.

17. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Simulating a functional human consciousness need at least 1 exaFLOPS (floating-point operations per second) or 1000 petaFLOPS or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 Flops.
    But perhaps we don't want to simulate "true" human consciousness, only a close simile, then perhaps 1/1000 of our brain processing power is enough, which is 1 petaFlops

The fastest supercomputer in the world currently Sunway TaihuLight, only have 93 petaFLOPS, which only enough to simulate 90 NPC at the same time (we left the other 3 petaFLOPS to render the game), or perhaps we only simulate the NPC when the player is in the area and "sleep" them when the character didn't interact with them.
    But then, your electricity bill will skyrocket high, since Sunway TaihuLight consumes about 15MW of electricity.......

kenar likes this.
  18. Linley

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll be closer to 10, to make an AI programming that can create the rest. But it'll be time consuming for the AI no matter what. Besides, someone has to be starting on it anyways

19. Polokrik

Polokrik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wel I hope it never really happens cause AI are scary !
    You already have Siri, Cortanan and they are becoming more and more efficient.
    But there are already AI that are going haywire (one developped it's own language and needed to be shut down)
    I don't want to look paranoid but when really smart people like Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk warn us about AI I tend to worry a little :)
    I mean come on imagine a Terminator thing, or the little Mitsuku taking control of your computer and evolving ? (Hvae you seen the movie "HER" ?? )
    So nope, just let us talk to stupid robots without letting them get too smart :)

20. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    Have modders have gone to far?