Discussion Some criticism on IET's writing

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MrNebulist, May 12, 2016.

?

What is your favorite of the three novels?

1. CD

35 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. ST

10 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. DE

35 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. TNC

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This_is_real_life~01.jpg Let me begin by saying that Coiling dragon is my 2nd most favorite novel. I loved bebe, I liked Linley's relationship with Delia as I felt it wasn't not forced, a miracle in most Chinese novels. IET excels at thrilling us readers, NoTG is a great example. But he lacks other qualities that sometimes harm the quality of his work.

The first is the characters. Linley, Qin Yu and Ji Ning's characters are almost the same ; i just can't get my hand on a a trait that sets one apart from the rest as they are all talented, hardworking ( Linley can spend several hundreds of years in secluded meditation while Bebe can't ,Qin Yu has the patience to analyze formations for 100s of 1000s of years. As for Ji Ning, he is still young and low in Cultivation) and they are not kind to their enemies ( thank God for that).

The second issue concerns side characters. Many of them are uni dimensional, with either good or bad personality. A second problems is that these side characters have so short expiry periods that it causes me stomach cramps. I mean, look at Zassler from coiling dragon, we're not told much of what happened to him after he reached sainthood.

Third, IET avoids some particular situations. For example, when Qin Yu just ascended to the divine realm, he was supposed to work in a mine for a thousand years, but no, no, no. Qin Yu is too lofty for that. A second instance is when Linley first went to the infernal realm, every new ascender had financial problems, but Linley had all his artifacts from NoTG and sold them to get the money. Thinking of it, the MCs, ji Ning excluded to some extent, don't struggle much financially; give them a couple of chapters and they get the money they need.

Last, the sizes of the monsters. Calm down, IET. Although it doesn't bother me much, but it would be good of you could scale a 300 thousand li long beast to 300 li one because 300 li is still too much. After a while you lose the interest every 100,000 kilometer beast is introduced by saying "meh, I have seen bigger ones"

Sorry for the long rant

What do you guys think.?

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    I think we should get a sub section for rants.

Westeller, Feinzell, RANTMAN and 9 others like this.
  3. PrinceAeron

PrinceAeron [Panda°Who°Saves°The°World°From°Cookies°Demon]

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO i don't really care too much abou that. I think the most concern in IET novel (i only read cd and st) is where other people need billion years to accomplish it, the mc only need some hundreds / thousands years...

4. lenorae

lenorae Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lenorae gasped in appreciation of this thread, and then chuckled.

5. Icha

Icha #googlemas #serius

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we do this legally?

*edit: DE is my very first TL novel I read, it was on world of watermelon which the owner is gone now *sob*

6. Aszhune

Aszhune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with u on the sizes... holy crap most chinese writers are insane. Travel 30000km with one step, a city with a diameter of 100000km, mansions the size of an average country, and dont even get me started on beast sizes xD.

Kronos and LoLzM like this.
  7. QaRBuNCLe

QaRBuNCLe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read they fighting a beast the size of 30000000m then slice it apart it one hit I wonder how long that one slice lasted to cut it from head to toe

Myscatonia and achacko like this.
  8. Night

Night Immoral member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh ..

9. Elow

Elow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually pretty good idea. @Tony do it, please! :love:

Westeller, Kronos and MrNebulist like this.
  10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Why isnt the nine cauldron here?

11. Ogami-kun

Ogami-kun 『Blue Shadow ensnaring demons』『FA sect disciple』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ji Ning rob his enemies, while it can be seen in ST, in CD I remember Linley as a quite righteous

12. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it's good.

Llamia and Asf like this.
  13. MrNebulist

Reading List:
    Link
    So you liked it?
    Haven't read it

14. Logico84

Logico84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you on the sizes man...its simply impossible for me to visualize Ji Ning (whos like what 6 maybe 7 ft?blamehiscultivation) fight against the dragon king(primal beast from gaol mountains what was killed by that fiendgod) who was like 30,000meters long? (Fun Fact: 30,000 meters = 98425.1969 feet....yeah....6-7ft compared to...well that...)
    I'd also like IET to focus a bit more on the romance between mc/mc lover and side char/side char lover...I find them to be pretty enjoyable but IET just always seperates them for so damn long, and even after they get together, not a lot is done with them anymore, they *almost* get sidelined if you ask me...

15. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My complain is basically the same with most xianxia.
    Luck factor is too much. I mean, I know they are hardworking, but they are so lucky I never doubt their safety. The coiling dragon ring which is actually a godly item in CD, the unique body type and stellar transformation martial art and immortal mansion in ST, the underwater mansion in DE. Those are obtained not trough hard work but simply stumbled upon.

And the females are... Simply jade like skin beauties with little or no personality.

But don't get me wrong, the story is enjoyable. I binge read all of them.

16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    its ok dood. Just add it in the poll so I can chose properly.

17. MrNebulist

Reading List:
    Link
    All of them took the stuff of whomever they defeated; I don't recall Ji Ning robbing someone for ko reason, can you remind me.

18. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I suddenly remembered those very long fight description in coiling dragon that is stated as happened as quick as the spark of a flint.

19. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    21,498 is the population density per square kilometer of Paris now a days. Since most cities in novels have walls and thus are cramped lets half that to take into consideration that high story buildings weren't as common. An area of 78 53 981 633km gives a population of 84 422 448 573 117 in a city with a diameter of 100000km.

Let's say most of those don't eat a lot of meat and thus need half an acre of fields to feed them, plus another 1/4 to feed the farmer and their family. We need 63316836429837.75 acres to feed those people. 0.00404686 square km is equal to an acre. We need 256 234 372 674 square km to feed that city, on top of the city itself. Which is a diameter of 571 181km, since that is 5 times the cities size we can exclude the city in the middle of it all.

The earth has 148 940 000 square km surface area. So that one city requires ~1 720 times our planet's land area to feed it. Seems reasonable to me.

20. MrNebulist

Reading List:
    Link
    Done;-)

Asf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.