Forgotten Title multiversal intentionally blatant Jesus allegory with fake gods

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by jacobpaige, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure it was written in English, so I'm not sure if it belongs on this site. Let me know if its a problem.

I'm fairly certain it was a book series.

There was a young British male from around the time of WW1 or WW2 (I think 1, but I can't remember for sure). He was either teleported to another world and attacked by religious zealots, or attacked by religious zealots before being teleported to their world (can't remember). The reason for the attack was that there was a self-fulfilling prophecy that proclaimed that he would kill the God of Death in that the zealots worshiped.

The way gods worked was that, as long as you weren't from that world, and people had faith in you, you would gain power. The more faith, the more power. The more sacrifices the faithful made, the more power. The more they didn't want to make the sacrifice, the more power. Also, more power = longer life. So the priests of the God of Death went around killing people, the Goddess of Love(?) ran toll roads and any woman that couldn't pay, or was simply unlucky, would be forced to work in a brothel, and so on.

Human sacrifice gave the most power, with martyrdom being the best form of human sacrifice by far. It was outlawed by the local King and Queen of the Gods, but they were positively ancient and not even all the power they were absorbing from the whole planet was enough to prevent their minds and bodies from deteriorating to the point that they didn't notice the God of Death blatantly violating their decree and stealing their followers.

The children of the gods were normal humans who couldn't gain power due to being natives of the world they lived in. This was important for the Mary Magdalene character who was the God of Love's bastard, which he used to turn her into an unwitting assassin when she came to him for help (I don't remember why).

The MC was a deeply religious Christian who worked hard at recreating Jesus' journey with himself in the role of Jesus, including commanding one of his faithful to take on the role of Judas and martyring himself to redirect everyone's faith away from the current pantheon, and even creating a Catholic church allegory that would be run by a group of rebel off-worlders that wanted to replace said pantheon.

During his Sermon on the Mount allegory, he arranged for his bodyguards to martyr themselves and then used the power he gained from their deaths to convert his attackers into followers, an event which the author linked to his decision to martyr himself, as a form of repayment to those who died for him.

Also, one of the most basic powers was the ability to communicate in all languages. It was super cheap and basically on by default. I don't remember anyone ever bothering to turn it off. This was important since 1) it allowed the MC to overcome the language barrier fairly quickly and 2) it caused everyone who recorded his Sermon to believe that he was speaking in their language, thus laying the ground work for religious warfare in the future due to conflicting interpretations, nationalist pride, etc (though this was only foreshadowed in the books).

At some point he managed to get back to Earth, but the God of Earth conspired with the gods of the other world and arranged for him to be framed for murder. He managed to escape his execution and flee back to the other world, though I don't remember how.

The self-fulfilling prophecy was something some god wrote by accident while trying to impress someone. He accidentally spent too much power on it and was severely weakened. Prophecies were also taken very seriously, but had a fatal flaw. If you could stop any part of a prophecy, you'd stop the whole. That is, if you thought you stopped the prophecy, but then something in it happened, then you knew that you'd messed up somehow because stopping any part of it guaranteed that the rest wouldn't happen. Therefore, simply being mentioned in a prophecy was usually a death sentence. This is important because, for reasons I can't remember, the antagonists thought they'd already killed the protagonist before the story began. They realized that they were wrong when a specific building was destroyed in (I think) an avalanche, as was predicted in the prophecy. This is also important because this prophecy was different from all the others in that the best way to stop it was to simply ignore it. The usual prophecy was exactly the opposite.

Also, gods could gain power by killing weaker gods and absorbing their power. This was only a temporary boost though as performing miracles cost faith power, so they'd generally try to steal the god's followers too. This was also the reason that there were very few miracles. Even if you were a fairly generous god, you couldn't afford to let your power drop too low, and all of the gods were basically self-absorbed, greedy, back-stabbers. Or at least, I can't remember any of them that had any redeeming qualities. Even the MC's allies weren't really any better. They were just weaker. Which I assume is the reason that he chose the Catholic church to model the new religion on. Since it placed them in the roles of conduits to God, rather than actually being gods. That, and, as I said, he was a deeply religious person and likely didn't care for the idea of creating false gods.

There was also a plague that wasn't particularly difficult to defeat with faith power (which was abnormal, as healing was normally very expensive) that he used to quickly build up large quantities of faith.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent. I was mainly just typing things as I remembered them. Any help would be appreciated.

zeus likes this.
  2. WorldMaker

WorldMaker Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What did I just read?

pinkrainmi, Odorico, Cite and 3 others like this.
  3. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    The Bible, Reloaded.

pinkrainmi, LoLzM, Omnijack and 4 others like this.
  4. LordMars

LordMars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seconded. But I like what I read.

5. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    this seems iffy not sure if imma like religious-ish novel :hmm::hmm:

6. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't ever heard of a series(?) like that, and I read a lot. I suggest posting a thread like this somewhere with more English readers and see what that gets you.

7. faulcon

faulcon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I vaguely remember this one. was ww1, he also lost his hand pretty early in the book but it slowly grew back with the power of faith (he couldn't do any other miracles at first because everything unconsciously went to that). He also eventually survived because one of the others took his place and he wound up back in England.

jacobpaige likes this.
  8. SighingGuru

SighingGuru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    seems good, i like parts of the story, if you find what it is please let me know

9. raiha88

raiha88 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some parts of the post sound like they belong to the current translated arc of the novel Warlock of the Magus World.

I'm not sure but it might be among these novels from royalroad:
    I Am the "God of Death", Whatever That Means.
    Until death?

I really have no idea what this novel/story is.. ahhahaha

10. Legion_Harbinger_of_Souls

Legion_Harbinger_of_Souls Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds Interesting

11. cboy123

cboy123 A Very Dirty Old Man

Reading List:
    Link
    See people? This is what happens when Gods descended... and you ask why they don't appear nowadays.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    No, this was an actual published book. I read it back before I really got into digital-only stories.

13. Jai

Jai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jesus. I agree with this one.

What is this all about again?

14. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly I think I know what series ur talking about. Lemme go find it

15. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Well at least the author did an accurate representation of slaughtering Christians did to the followers of Roman and Greek paganism when they took over Rome. Wonder if the main character spends a few decades trying to kill all of the believers of the pantheon like Christians did to the followers of Bachus and Dionysius. Story sounds way to religiousy for me to like it though

17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. He grew up on Earth in England.
    He dies just as the religion is starting to take off. I wouldn't put it past the people he left in charge though.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  18. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    yea he isnt from that world he goes 2 for the 1st link. I cant remember where he from been forever

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Both links were about people raised in other worlds though? Also, while I didn't think to mention it in the initial post, everyone in every world is human. No elves at all.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  20. LtBeefy

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea 2nd is elves but it had the religious stuff.
    1st i dont think he was raised in that world tho. Truthfully cant remember on that. I just remember very religious overtones and jesus stuff

I can easily be wrong as i havent read it in over 2 years. I just thought it fit ur religious aspect perfectly with shit.