Question what tropes should i avoid when writing

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mja, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
?

do certain genre of novels get boring after reading too much of them

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. depends

52 vote(s)
    51.0%
  4. im a fat duck

16 vote(s)
    15.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im writing a story and want to know what tropes and other situations do you hate in novels

2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    ntr, tragedy, repetitive plot, super dense mc

3. arrogantyoungmaster

arrogantyoungmaster 20 Nuf = 1 face slap to make your day better

Reading List:
    Link
  4. OnigaImasuka

OnigaImasuka A devil in disguise

Reading List:
    Link
    rape,
    ntr,
    tragedy

and I don't really hate any tropes, if they are done right! Deus ex machina is pretty bad most of the times though, and in all honesty I quite dislike when the MC gets a powerup at the perfect time that perfectly counters the opponent.

5. Belgarion_V

Belgarion_V 『The Supreme Chuuni』『Explosion Loli』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ntr, repetitive plot (ie: same sort of conflicts and resolutions repeatedly), unrealistically insanely dense mc(cough infinite stratos cough), side characters having all really similar or no personalities, repeatedly having people falling in love with the mc for bullshit reasons or no apparent reason at all. All I got for you right now. Some of it does depend on the type of novel you write as well and the audience you aim at. EDIT: really Naive/too nice MC is annoying as fuck too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  6. Belgarion_V

Belgarion_V 『The Supreme Chuuni』『Explosion Loli』

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of story is it going to be?

7. WorldMaker

WorldMaker Member

Reading List:
    Link
    super plot armor

8. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    For me: harem, dense mc, courting death people who always get faceslapped, mc too easy to get information or meet people that help him, every girl fall for mc too easily

Lurker of the dark, mja and otaku31 like this.
  9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you be the mc though?

arrogantyoungmaster likes this.
  10. Vishaakha

Vishaakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It will depends on person to person for me anything a little dark is a no no. Better drop the novel then torturing our selfs.

11. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate stupid forced conflict between the cast/leads. Either like one finds out the other’s dark secret like the other involved in the other’s loved one’s death, gets mind controlled, one changes to the dark side, or fight over something.

12. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    ntr only matters if the characters and their relationships are fleshed out, but everything else can be used so long as it isn't repetitive. Some authors overuse their formulae, usually to stretch out a boring story.

13. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Old grandpa who fell from someplace guiding the mc from ring or wherever.
    2. Hypocricy: You write Mc is a selfish guy who only cares about his skin and suddenly he is saving girls and messing with people for other people. If you write light, make it light.
    3. Mc is offended, mc kills, seniors come for mc and mc runs. Yes, say no to repitative plots. Create conflicts through newer means.
    4. Don't justify: Sometimes authors really feel this urge, he is a saint most of the times but he had to kill this man, he had to, he was just evil. Again, it becomes two faced and just not fun. Instead show it through his expressions, actions and story.
    5. Too fast: Everybody wants their mc to just grow up in a giffy, like zapand he is captain america. Give it time and maintain a proper pace of plot.
    6. Heavenly luck: Oh whats that floating down the river? Th legenday technique? Man I am lucky. Whats that ordinary stone? Oh a crystal that could end the world? Man I am lucky. Whereever I go, there are hidden treasures waiting for me, grandpa always says ....get that. get that at any cost...
    7. You always survive....plot armour, there is a senior, the weather, a bigger trouble or whatever. Please, dont create too many deadly situations, they are said to be deadly because there is a risk of dying, and there is zilch risk to die when we read the generic.
    8. Once in a century talent....he invokes that light, he has that and he has this that nobody before him had, because he haa mysterious parents who live in a much bigger and powerful world, bullshit. make talent believeable and replaceable.
    9. Quests...Seek power, seek revenge, seek treasures, make new enemies, rescue allies, revenge, run, train. Thats about all, think outside the box, the box contains the quests i listed.
    10. The googli, I call it. Authors forget about what they hinted and usddenly do a one eighty. So the bell was very mysterious, special. Two hundred chapters later, where is bell? Never heard of it. So author writes, these guys in future were known as that gang, and suddenly these guys die in present. Dont do an one eighty.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  14. arrogantyoungmaster

arrogantyoungmaster 20 Nuf = 1 face slap to make your day better

Reading List:
    Link
    i will die in the beginning of the novel even plot armor can t protect me :facepalm:

15. Crow3r

Crow3r Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Avoid time travel and resurrection these are hard to execute. Also avoid japanesse mc and unreal relationships. Oh and no blue screens please and no op cheats and no unique pwers and..... Hey just if you post your story dont drop it like that we really hate openended stories :)

mja likes this.
  16. Mayrun

Mayrun Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to actual tropes, I've found that there is no such thing as bad ones, it all depends on how you use them. Visit the tvtropes page to see what the tropes you wish to use actually entail, and they usually give examples on how to write them correctly.

17. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    emphasize on that I've read a lot of fun and interesting novel that become stale since author just kept repeating the cycle of plots

mja and CountryMage like this.
  18. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about resisting the temptation of introducing the female lead immediately.

Mahou-nii-sama, mja and otaku31 like this.
  19. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a crazy idea, why don't you write a novel without tropes?
    Ok I know you will still do it, just don't be repetitive, don't lose plot direction, don't make too many trash idiotic mobs or arrogant young masters, or too much harem, in fact if you want a story with depth, don't make harem.

mja likes this.
  20. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupidity. If you want your character to be a genius, let him/her act like one, not like a five-year-old. That means actually thinking things through, and being aware of consequences.

mja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.