Question what tropes should i avoid when writing

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mja, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
?

do certain genre of novels get boring after reading too much of them

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. depends

52 vote(s)
    51.0%
  4. im a fat duck

16 vote(s)
    15.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the execution. It's better if you form what you don't like instead of asking, though. There's a reason why reading is an essential tool for writing. Not only can it criticize your writing style, you can also know what you don't want to see on your work.

mja likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there aren't any tropes you have to avoid, but you do have to avoid bad writing in general...

Plot armor, plot holes and inconsistencies are things you definitely need to avoid for example...

But well, using good and old Truck-kun for the sake of reincarnating the character is still as good as any other, don't worry about it.

If anything, make your characters believable, nobody should be evil just because they're evil.

3. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    No rape please. I don't hate it; I tolerate it. It's hard to write correctly and it's a sensitive thing.
    Inserting popular mainstream songs inside. Kinda makes me cringe.
    Don't have the most beautiful lady in the world as the female lead.
    I really don't like hardcore tragedy.
    Forgettable important side characters. It's sad when I can't remember who is who.
    MC that saves every single woman or attractive person.
    No ditzy females (unless it's important).
    MC without any equals (at his age too!).
    Too passive MCs.
    Repetitive plot.

Good luck writing!

mja likes this.
  4. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When a chapter have nothing but people shouting the following words :
    - "YOU DARE!!"
    - "KILLLL HIM!!"
    - "YOU DARE NOT GIVE ME FACE?!"
    Shows that the author is very shallow and cant think anything better than little kids cursing and shouting at each other when fighting.

2. When you have a member of the oposite sex falls in love for no reason without including the person's background settings, surroundings, personality etc2
    If its not believable you better not do it.
    Instantly falls in love because the MC saving said person once is a no no.
    More so when the said person falls in love with their raper.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    mja likes this.
  5. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Internal inconsistencies.

mja likes this.
  6. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, the tropes don't really matter, at least to me. I might hate some tropes but it really depends on the execution and flow of the story.

I mean, for example; I'm not an ass person but I read Nikubenki ni suru houhou and I enjoy it.

mja likes this.
  7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Write what you want to write. Don't avoid anything just because people dislike it. What some people hate may be what some people like. Just make it fit and make it flow. Regardless of the tropes, even if it has tropes people hate, the bordering-on-hate readers will be more forgiving if your story is good. Haters will hate regardless of what you write, so don't bother with them.

If you avoid every trope that every people hate, what else is there for you to write? Every trope has been used, go to tvtropes.org if you don't believe me. Everything you can think of, someone has done it before, there's bound to be a lot of people who hate it.

mja and isekaishousetsu like this.
  8. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Arrogant young master
    Lucky mc
    Naive

mja likes this.
  9. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupid as f*ck characters... I mean, you don't need to promote the MC, by making the others beside him more stupid...
    The same thing with his group. Only the MC and his group has something called logic, while everyone else was born brain dead.
    (like arrogant young masters, who normally acting up like that would end them up in the bad books of everyone, meaning no allies, possibly make a lot of enemies, possibly get themselves killed and yet still survive till the main character gets to them... such stupid imbeciles would die off so fast, they shouldn't even exist aside from a rare one or two cases... and yet the world is full of them.)

F*cked up relationships...
    When the main character literally f-ing falls in love with every b!tch waving on his way!
    God freaking darn it!

Bullsh!t luck throughout the whole novel, main character being a fake smart asshole and a story that never progresses (totally not talking about ED here)

Plotholes (Like, the main character lοoses something, and a chapter later is there to deliver that said item... like wtf?)

incosistent story and NTR to finish. Won't add more cause it would take all day...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    mja likes this.
  10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I would say time travel even though I realize that it seem to be a fairly popular trope.
    To be exact any time travel that pretends that changing the past is possible as it pretty much always end up as a convoluted mess and/or with unaddressed plot holes.
    Time loops and moving between alternate timelines can be fine if done well though, but requires a lot of effort.

The main issue I often have with second chance novels where the mc goes back to a earlier point in his life and tries to take revenge on or save people is that I can't help but imagine that he/she simply moved to an alternate timeline and are just saving/taking revenge on unrelated people while the ones he/she cared about/hated just keep existing without him/her in the original timeline.
    I get that these stories are usually intended to be time travel where the past is really changed, but that never make logical sense as they almost never try to address the grandfather paradox and the ones that do try typically fail at it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read Mother of learning (novel)
    and Green worldz (manga)
    especially the end of Green worldz...

Nimroth likes this.
  12. devilsun

devilsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the tropes probably wont matter much (except turning some people off) if u write great story ( world building , characters personality , etc etc ) . it is afterall just a plot device . I'm gonna throw my turn-off either way :
    1. Antihero with the heart of gold
    2. Slice of life - y story / light comedic story ( 80% of JP story i think, but if it has AMAZING story then it's all good )
    3. 1st POV

13. Sangnz

Sangnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A well written work with common tropes is still a good read.

mja likes this.
  14. Comet_Vomit

Comet_Vomit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    every single young master that appears dumbly in the scene and cant see the mc is a fucking beast after killing everyone and still jumps in his path and says you can't kill me and shites

15. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
  16. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.