Question Magic in The New Gate

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by scribbledoutname, Oct 5, 2017.

1. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got a lot of questions about the series because I dropped it (several times) because Shin's mild temperament is torture for me.

But I've got a question I never saw the answer to, and I don't see anything concrete on the wiki. I also spent ages googling stuff but then I realised I can just ask here.

How does magic work in the New Gate? Where does it come from, what are the specifics, that kind of thing? I still don't have a clear idea of how The New Gate's magic system works.

It's a weird question but as a huge world building / magic system nerd it's one of the things that excites me about stories like TNG, Overlord, etc. Even if I'm not a huge fan of their MCs I still love the vibe of their respective universes.

Havisu likes this.
  2. Titan LLS

Titan LLS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Overlord MC is great
    The New Gate has a shit MC

And the closest these novels will come to explaining magic past the game elements is likely when the MC's start trying to connect to earth for Ainz it may just be to summon the other Supreme Beings because he said he is not going home.

3. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry sir but these things also based on preferences..
    You like Ainz, so Ains = great MC
    You dislike Shin = shit MC??

duh come on, i admit sometimes i also felt irritated at how passive shin is but its not that bad for me, it just another type of mc..
    its just about preferences.. and you shouldn't just said something is bad because they are bad in your eyes, because they might be a gem in other's pov.

4. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    iirc the magic system wasn't really explained that much aside from if you're talking 'bout the game side of The New Gate

pocketbear likes this.
  5. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, TNG is an interesting idea with poor execution - MC's only good feature is that he's OP and a blacksmith, however, even the supporting characters seem more interesting than him. And some things are poorly executed, for example what happened before the last boss, some more info about the death game, stuff like that. Since for the first 4-5 volumes it only says "there was a death game. the end". There was some sort of promise, some talk about going back, but in reality there was nothing important said

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from the Game Elements, which have no real explanation, magic seems to be all around and be flowing through Dragon Veins. They've found a couple of places where the Dragon Veins were visible, and they said that the highest level monsters appear in places with high magic concentrations, deep woods, high mountains, and ancient player strongholds.

Edit: if I had to guess, I would say that the programming for the game, became the basis for the magic and skills system in that world. When the originals were lost, the people had to relearn the programming language, to make their own.

Rivenn, AMissingLinguist and Havisu like this.
  7. adislt

adislt fanfic lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Well as far as i can remember almost all kind of magic in new gate is game based ( unfortunately there's no much information about whst kind of game system used in new gate before canon start) so we can take general exampke of mmorpg skill and magic system that we know, and in current timeline everyone except shin and character that already exist before the game becomes reality are using heavily downgraded version of skill and magic tgat exist before tge game turning into reality
    Btw honestly i think new gate gradually become worse after beast kingdom arc
    Author just messed up the storh in my opinion with how the character that death in the game during death game era actually transported to future where game becomes reality and how author keep summoning villain or monster that able to match shin ability even without limiter is on in certain stats and some plot that contradicting each other

Havisu likes this.
  8. Yue Er

Yue Er Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When we reach volume 10 (which I've been told talks about the death game and Shin's past) all of his passiveness makes sense. But I guess that's a long time to hold out for.

Rivenn, adislt and AMissingLinguist like this.
  9. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    The game was based around the idea of reincarnation making people into stronger races, so the dead characters returning makes some sense. Shin finding challenging opponents is due to him not really having skills to match his stats, and the world actually living and growing since it became real. He's only just now started to work on his combat skills, without relying on [Skills].

Havisu likes this.
  10. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    in the recent latest chapters it seems that skills is kinda like body assistance.
    For example the best blacksmith in Hinomoto can create a legend grade sword with only those kind of materials, WITHOUT blacksmith skill from the game.

As for shin, he explained at some point before that with skills from the game, doing something repetitive like mass production is easy.
    Which means that the skill is like huge bonus that assist the users, and the bonus is big enough that it can mass produce the legend grade sword that the best blacksmith in hinomoto considered as masterpiece, well this might be dependent on the user knowledge too. For example, just by giving some advice to the said blacksmith, his view have been widen so much that he is able to understand the process of making it and also his limit, and maybe, if he have blacksmithing skills, he will be able to surpass his limit now.
    In other words, skill might be able to be used only if the user understand the process behind it.

I GUESS this logic can be applied to magic too.
    Remember, the inhabitant of the world after the Dusk of the Majesty, still can use magics even though most of the skills from the game had been lost and reduced to art instead. Shin explained to hinomoto's blacksmith that to make a better sword, mastering how to swing a hammer is not enough, and still need to embed mana in each swing or something like that. This means mana existed in that world, and is different from magic skill..

my best bet is that to use magic related skill, you need mana.
    and then comes art, a degrade version of skill, which still need mana, but since art user aren't that strong, their mana might be too small to use skills, in which art is used instead. Of course, this might also be the reason why they don't get the skill at all, remember, to get a skill, you need to fulfill the requirement of the said skill, like how shin taught that orphanage girl in order to get a skill.

And so, i guess magic can be used without skills, but then it'll either be arts or just application of mana.

I might be totally wrong tho
    About the magic being flowing through Dragon Veins, aren't that mana?

CountryMage and scribbledoutname like this.
  11. adislt

adislt fanfic lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with last part but not with rwturning character, as in the beginning already explained that new gate before turning into reality is currently become death game and that means logically any character that dead in death game era should be dead. And reincarnated race system already taken by existence of chosen one.

12. adislt

adislt fanfic lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Ughhh that means a really long time to wait, and now i already have several moments where i think i will stop reading this
    Just hope the story will gradually be better and had clear direction

Havisu likes this.
  13. Charles83

Charles83 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People I do like both MC the one from overlord and the one from new gate, I do think the author from new gate is amazing specially because he is pulling off a very unique and interesting character, Ainz from Overlord is an easy character, he wanted to play more the server was closing but he was not done with the game he wanted more, so he is proactive and a very forward looking character with clear goals, On the other side Shin from new gate, is a very complicated character, he is tired, he was playing a game when he was having fun and suddenly the game became a death game, we do not know how many close calls did he have we don't even know how or when he was separated from his girlfriend on earth, is she still on earth? was she on the death game? (there are hints that she could have been on the death game so she could revive in the new world but it is only that hints, no solid info), also remember shin did finish the death game, another reason for how tired he became, do remember that shin also needed to become an executioner of PK players during the death game, being that shin is not a psycho, this cause mental fatigue and at the end he killed the ultimate boss, and now he is thrown into this new world instead of going back to earth, is obvious how shin is just tired, and that the author can pull it off, I think its amazing

14. Titan LLS

Titan LLS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Passive...no passive is Luffy taking a beating in that one piece episode because he thought he would just make his fist dirty by hitting people who were less than filth when anyone understood the true meaning of that scene it just makes the worth of the act that much more spectacular. this is the standard for passive. Shin my good sir is a doormat. you walk all over it, take it outside for a good beating when it gets dusty and throw it away, when you can not stand it any longer, Not only is he a doormat in matters where it counts, he is indecisive and when he finally comes to a conclusion on some matters you can't help but question his decision-making capabilities, for example, he decided to hid his status and abilities from the world because he felt it would be a problem.
    but in the last volume I could stand from it, 7 to raid the center of religion in broad daylight when hiding who he is should not have taken someone of his abilities even more than 1 second as he literally seems to moonlight as Doraemon. The list is extensive even Ainz truth be told I could say Shin is braver than AInz really as Ainz is always in full control and has never had to suffer real mortal danger. truth is even if he did have to, i imagine him using something like the pride of Great Tomb of Nazarick
    as a reason to not falter, or start making people around him time and time question his sanity because he had to fight in mortal combat but Shin does Ainz has accepted the world around him, so i can understand how he moves to make a place for himself in it but Shin is Half looking for a way to return to his former world and at the same time putting in the other half of his time to saving the world he is taking for a game...

15. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    well i admit that calling him passive might not be a correct term as my english vocabulary is not that good, but you should also slow down because i have to reread your sentences few times to understand what you're trying to tell me here good sir.

Still, all of these doesn't warrant him to be called as shit by you since this is just your opinion.
    As I said before, this is a matter of preferences. I like the way he is.. if i were to said that he is a great mc and ainz is a shit mc it would still be just a preferences matter, i like this and you dislike it, you like that and i dislike it. For this exact reason you should not be saying as if your opinion is the only truth out there.

Its ok if you just said it as "in my opinion... this mc is shit" instead of making a statement as "this mc is shit". This would make it as your opinion toward it, not general statement.

Also my good sir, what do you think translator who painstakingly translate the novel or mc you just said to be "shit", would feels when he read your statement? They would be downhearted, sad, and other negative emotions would linger in their heart, and there's many translator who quit because of this.

Also, your definition of something may not always same as others. In my opinion, the passive example (luffy) you gave is not relative to the situation of the mc either. what i means by shin being passive is that he is always got dragged into some problems and didn't try to stay unrelated to the problems.

I understand that normally even though he's trying to hide it, but ended up showing his abilities or equipment to people, and people still not realizing who he actually is was irritating, but its understandable since the common sense of people of that era is that "High human dont exist anymore in this world" so even if he claimed to be a high human and showed his power, people can just dis him as an powerful adventurer trying to fake as high human.. Look at Tiera's reaction when he blatantly told her that he is a high human when they first met.

I like how Ainz is, I like how Shin is, I like how Kurosaki Ichigo is, I like how ShinJi who need to be screamed to get into robot is, in the end, it just about preferences... if after reading this you gonna said my preference is shit too, then i can accept it, its not like i lose anything by accepting it, but keep in mind that other people can also said the same exact thing to you too.

In the first place, you're not answering the initial question, the reason why this thread is created.

16. figuy686686868686868

figuy686686868686868 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not actually described well, or really defined in any sort of coherent way. Part of the reason that story isn't really at the top of my list, the magic and abilities are more or less used as the plot decides they need to be used to push the story along. It's got a very "make it up as they go" kind of feel to it.

Edit: I'll agree I like both MC though. Not hating on the characters in anyway, but the system and world-building in Overlord seem a lot more "stable/structured"

17. adislt

adislt fanfic lover

Reading List:
    Link
    The main problem in this story i think is how the more story revealed the more it feels like the story feels like "make it up as they go" as there's too many things become to far-fetched from the premises explained in beginning volume for example at the beginning tiera said shin aura feels like mixs of many races and she is said tgat very very casually but then at later volume author somehow made it like somthing big and very secretive,