Recommendations Recommend me a non-vanilla xianxia novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Babinzki, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Babinzki

Babinzki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I´m looking for a CN/xianxia/wuxia etc, which has something special to it. Something big or small that makes it different somehow to a "normal" xianxia. And by a normal xianxia I mean the standard arrogant people, world is divided into different sects, grade 1-10 standard cultivation, hardworking and slightly arrogant MC, MC is lucky as fuck, nothing special about MC at all, just cultivation and blablabla. To myself I refer this kind of novel as a vanilla novel, examples of it are: ISSTH (not a bad novel by all means, but its very "normal", except for the MC who is no.1 troll), DE (Was good in the beginning with the separation of body and ki refiners, but then just merged the two of them), TNC.

So what do I mean by special then?
    - It can be a different kind of cultivation, like CD and DE in the beginning where there are different paths, but that they do no merge together and actually show the differences.
    - It can be that the world is focused on bloodlines or martial spirits
    - That the MC has some sort of "cool" cheat, and by that I do not mean the standard "My cheat is really awesome but in the end it only allows me to train faster and finding treasures more easily" (looking at you TMW)
    - The MC or the story is unique in some way (Maybe an extremely smart MC or an interesting world)

What I´m looking for:
    - Divine Throne of Primordial Blood (Genius MC with special eyes in a world dominated by bloodlines)
    - HJC (Mc is alright, but I really like the whole jewel system)
    - King of Gods (Pretty standard world, but a MC with cool power)
    - Library of Heavens Path (The pure definition of a cheat power)
    - The Charm of Soul Pets (Different cultivation system)
    - WMW (Really interesting with the whole warlock path and such, AI chip is not one of my favorite powers though)
    - Douluo Dalu (The martial spirit cultivation is really good)

What Im not looking for:
    ISSTH
    ATG
    BTTH
    DE

SayMrrp likes this.
  2. jodezaca

jodezaca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SayMrrp likes this.
  3. sk8late

sk8late Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the nine cauldron he creates his own type of cultivating kind of and although it reincarnation I don't it the same as most other novels

4. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    history's strongest senior brother, the MC reincarnates into one of the arrogant young masters and faces mc archtypes

Dominating Sword Immortal, not really special as it follows everything a normal xiaxia has, but a unqiue point is that he follows the path of sword culitvation, which MC deepens his understanding towards sword intent. which adds something on top of regular culitvation. but he only recently made it what his majoring in.

star child escapes arranged marraige, the MC in his past life created soul magic, which in his current life allows him to steal and share skills with people that he "brands" or what the "stars" select for him.

5. ThinderDragon

ThinderDragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Darkbeowulf08

Darkbeowulf08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about Gu Daoist Master? I found the whole Gu concept very interesting and unique. The story is also far from "vanilla". Grasping evil also has an interesting Mc, and cultivation methods.

7. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Redmi

Redmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation.

The only xianxia that does dual cultivation differently compared to titles like Grasping Evil.

9. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    *saw Non-vanilla :aww:
    *slithers in :blobsmirk:
    *read OP :blobwoah:
    *dissapointed :blobconfused:
    drops Conquest while at it (mc was raised to see beatiful girl as ugly, and the opposite as beautiful)
    *slithers away :blobpensive:

Limetrix and criticalmind like this.
  10. Babinzki

Babinzki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Might have to check out Historys number 1 founder, The Human Emperor and Everlasting Immortal firnament, WoC and Gourmet of Another World is already on my reading list. Thanks!

I might be so, a while since I caught up.

Historys strongest senior brother is already on my reading list and Dominating Sword Immortal is from your description just another normal xianxia. Sword users are 90% of all MC anyways. Ill check out Star child though, thanks :)

Ill check them out, not really too hot on kingdom building though (Hail the King), but thanks anyways.

Already got both on reading list :)
    Ill look into it, thanks!

11. Babinzki

Babinzki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might have a different concept of non-vanilla than I do ;). For me non-vanilla ≠ non-mainstream.

12. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    runsing likes this.
  13. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    obviously, but it won't hurt to try, no?

A Step into the Past . mc gets hurt, mc gets betrayed, loved ones (few of them) died, mc has no superpower, except for modern martial art. misinformed people might say it has netorare but hey have no idea what they are talking about.

Awakening . mc is indifferent to ppl dying left and right, due to being a multiple transmigration throughout his life

with how much cn novel i've read, pretty much all of them has a similarity here and there, now that i hink about it. i'll stop at two then. sorry.

since you'reo nly looking for cn novel, i'll refrain from recommending jp and kr then

14. Parawsite

Parawsite Morpheus-Double

Reading List:
    Link
  15. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link