Recommendations Something to invest a great deal of time and interest in, no shallow guilty pleasures

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by VagabondJH, Oct 7, 2017.

1. VagabondJH

VagabondJH Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for something that actually has depth, good characters, good development, etc. Some examples would be Coiling Dragon (does fall off a bit), Transcending the Nine Heavens (especially like this, great characters, respectable and intelligent antagonists, good brainstorming and plot), dont mind harems or romance, and would like 300 + chapters.

2. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, try the real book series Wheel of Time.

3. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    SayMrrp likes this.
  4. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One could read that garbage with a paranoid psychotic main character, or you could read an actual good series in The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.

Just sayin'.

5. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if you don't like the wheel of time series, you shouldn't be that rude. Although the main character does go a bit mad in the later books, the series as a whole is incredible, the worldbuilding and writing is amazing, as well as all of the character's depth. I haven't read the sword of truth, so I can't say which is better, but the Wheel of Time is the opposite of "garbage".

Sircus likes this.
  6. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    If you haven't read Ze Tian Ji or I shal seal the heavens, those are must reads.

7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't remember the name, but either Zhu Xian or zhanxian...ztj can also do.

8. VagabondJH

VagabondJH Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh sorry, forgot to clarify I would also prefer if it's not like Shounen-esque (I know its a term coined for japanese works but I'm mainly refering to like younger teens), and if its more mature.

9. JackStone

JackStone Wow. How nice. Good job.

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze tain ji
    The experts there are truly "experts".
    They know how to scheme and know how to use their power and authority properly, not some strong and hot blooded characters.

SayMrrp likes this.
  10. postbank

postbank Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is indeed rather meh, i bought the first 4 books and already found it a chore to read true from the first chapter.
    The dude who wrote that fancied himself an old hardcore writer otherwise he would not make filler upon filler of annoying descriptions.
    You call that good world building I call that the author not knowing what will engage his readers (or hers).
    As for the later books what I heard about them is rather not so good.

I have read books like The Magician from the author Reymond E.Feist so I can at least make an comparison.
    Wheels of time really is only for the very patient or one who puts prios on certain things even if it damages the story itself.

11. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    The Sword of Truth is nothing but a cheap knockoff of the WoT series. The WoT series has had both Robert Jordan, and Brandon Sanderson on it, two excellent authors, where different concepts like the notion of Samsara and reincarnation from eastern mythologies, the notion of a savior devoid of religious trappings and overall, the concept of Yin and Yang through the forces of Saidar and Saidin and finally a true horror that isn't truly fleshed thus giving it more of an omniversal malice unlike that of the silly dream eating emperor from SoT, make it an actual book worth reading.

Sword of Truth is just trash and people who rate it better than it's source material have no literary taste. FITE ME IRL

Sircus likes this.
  12. ToshinRaizen

ToshinRaizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard of the sword of truth series before I got a question is the mc overpowered or does he become overpowered in the series.

13. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Of all those books only Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth #6) was any good. Rest were average at best.

14. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the wheel of time only being for the very patient. It can be tedious, but the depth is phenomenal, I think the best way to read it is at the same time as some other people so you can discuss it. Also, its a good thing (for the series) that Robert Jordan died before he finished it, and Brandon Sanderson finished it instead, as it would probably have dragged on for another 20 books and have gotten continuously more tedious.

15. nhanat

nhanat Human Lv. 4

Reading List:
    Link
    HSSB (?history strongest senior brother) is really funny, moreso if you read many xianxia novel before. It mock various 'MC' from other xianxia novel. Now around 500++ chapter, and I think the character is developing along with the MC, not just appear in one/two arc before being left.