Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NO.

Incest is a sensitive tag. That novel you're tagging is NOT incest. You're putting a false tag on a novel like this would leave a false impression on people who check the NU page of this novel.

Besides, we already have this: http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/siblings-not-related-by-blood/

@Sakhyu

Sakhyu likes this.
  2. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It's meant to counter the fake incest novels. Having incest tag on a novel when it's only to be revealed later that it is not would make one question the reliability of the tags and the trustworthiness of it. For those who don't wish to be spoiled, there is already the option to hide tags implemented. There is also the forum for readers to communicate and find out the authenticity of the tags in question.

Please refrain from double posting , thank you.

Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  3. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    And sometimes people search for that tag because they want to read incest but to find that it is not, that is not something we want to have yo resolve (ie threads of false incest, tag wars of incest and not incest etc).

It is not about incest on general, but the functionality of them on NU and the related novels. Thus the two tags and the deliberation to keep them both separate.

4. Nvelist

Nvelist Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I banned from editing? Can edit though no more.

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we discuss about non human protagonist tag?
    I was looking for healing animal/non human protagonist novel, but the current tag cover both. While I understand the need to do so, I want a new tag to cover cat, dragon, slime, spider, cell, ecetra protagonist.
    Most goblin/vampire/succubus protag don't have any difference to human protagonist anyway.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing

7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    we recently removed/merged cat, but none of them was a protagonist. Slime, on the other hand, was removed because the tag show the same result as normal search. so that's definitely an easy one if we were to add it to any new tag.

dragon is quite hard. current tag seems to cover both protagonist and side monsters.

the only spider protagonist i know was kumoko.

all in all, because goblin vampire and succubus are humanoid, should we split between humanoid and non-humanoid then? like, monster protagonist? we do have Monster Girls, for fetish's sake.

nope, doesn't seem so. unless he just got unbannned.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  8. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humanoid/non humanoid sounds good. :blobmelt:

AliceShiki and LaDyViL like this.
  9. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Demi-human Protagonist
    Monster Protagonist

Humanoid description are too broad. It covers anything resembling human , ex = android/cyborg/robots , angels , demons , aliens , etc

LaDyViL likes this.
  10. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    what i meant was we split them into two categories, a non-human, but humanoid in appearance, and non-humanoid in appearance, just like we understand beastkin girls and monster girls

wasn't there a protagonist who was an onsen? i seem to recall vending machine too. >.<

so what we're trying to do is to come up with a proper term to cover these kind of protagonist.

AliceShiki and LaDyViL like this.
  11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so? Your last edit was on 7th, and I'm not seeing any triggering edits that can get you banned.

Would that count as nonhumanoid? I know there's a Transported Modern Structure tag, but that doesn't cover the protagonist being the modern structure.

I'm seconding the humanoid/non-humanoid tag, but rather than an addition, I would prefer them to be a replacement. Demihuman and Monsters fall under Humanoid most of the time but Non-humanoid would cover another selection. I can see it becoming reusable in the future.

12. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    so basically
    .half-human to humanoid protagonist
    .non-human protagonist into non humanoid protagonist
    ?

13. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    before that, we'll need to somehow split and merge
    Demi-Humans and Half-human Protagonist (some titles under this tag might or might not have humanoid form)

currently, Non-human Protagonist covers both humanoid and non-humanoid protagonist as well.

so we actually might need to re-arrange+rename 2 tags at once to better accommodate the changes. or even 3 depending on situation.

tag 1 = non-human inhumanoid protagonist (onsen, vending machine, slime, spider, dragon and the likes)
    tag 2 = non-human, humanoid form = basically walk and stand like human with two feet, but not really human in appearance such as having horns, tail, fangs etc (beastkin, undead, vampire and the likes
    tag 3 = i'm not too sure about this, but i've seen ppl asking for it several times. demigod/halfblood/npc - basically a protagonist that is not 100% human, yet perfectly human in appearance

thoughts @Shio ?

14. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    For the demi humans one it and beastkin are mixed up too.

AliceShiki and runsing like this.
  15. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag 1 : Anything tagged Nonhuman Protagonist that falls under this be changed to Non-humanoid Protagonist.

Tag 2 : Anything tagged Nonhuman Protagonist that falls under this be changed to Humanoid Protagonist. Existing tags that describe protagonist such as half-demon, demi-human, God, cat, fish is possible to accompany this.

Tag 3 : Already covered in Tag 2. Is there a need to deal with the other XX Protagonist tags? IMO they don't need to be removed in the mean time since in some novels, they do matter indescribing the origins or bloodline of the protagonist. Since the matter at hand is regarding humanoid or non-humanoid form of the protagonist, the tags you mentioned are just accompaniment to them.

1#Non-humanoid: Form (monster-like, four-legged, animals, beasts, structures, items)
    2#Humanoid: Form (human-like, shapeshifters, werewolves, cyborgs, vampires, angels)
    3#Human: Race, origin, bloodline (other similar ones that fall under this are ones like Demon, God, Angel, Werewolf, Zombie)

#3 is not covered under the same subject as #1 and #2, so it's not something that should be treated in the same sense but treated as an accompaniment or unrelated tag depending on the story.

AliceShiki and Blitz like this.
  16. Nvelist

Nvelist Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well although I review and edit it can't clearly be saved anymore. When I try to saved it, the details below suddenly disappear and when I try editing again and saving it just follow the usual same pattern as cannot be saved and details gone. In review I try to edit my review mistakes on 'The World after the Fall' but it can't be saved. It accepted my review but the contents of saving is not clearly being saved though as it just bounced it back with details below editing disappear.

17. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure it's still under Pending status. Reviews need to go through @Tony even the edits.

AliceShiki and MangoGuy like this.
  18. Renzy

Renzy 『⚓』『JackOfAllTrades』『7years』

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the tags describing the traits of the protagonist.. they are way too many... like they are smart/cunning/etc....protagonist

We'll definitely know their traits/behavior in the novel. Shouldn't they be removed?

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...that is because there are that many different types of protagonist that people search.
    And be happy that tags like important protagonist and good protagonist were removed in the past

LaDyViL and Blitz like this.
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags are useful for people that have yet to start reading the novel to see if they want to read it.

Traists of the MC are important to see if the reader can enjoy that story.

LaDyViL and Blitz like this.