LCD Release that Witch

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Dusk, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mphucking

2. Habari

Habari Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, in regards to making them it's much easier for mortars than MGs but I also think u cannot really compare them as they are completely different types of weapons for different purposes, as you said.
    Still, I think for the moment the MGs make more sense to build when thinking of the battles he will face in the near future as they are absolutely horrendous weapons of mass destruction when used in open field battles.
    Mortars, in this regard could also be useful to scare the enemy but would not be able to kill as effective as MGs because of their low accuracy.
    As this is just my humble opinion, no offense.

3. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this novel really not a harem?

I feel bad for nightingale :blobpensive:

jirka642 and Cutter Masterson like this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    If we were to compare a single MG (machine gun) to a single mortar. You may have a point, but what I’m trying to say is for every MG Roland builds. He could also build hundreds of mortars. He needs Anna to build a MG, but he has hundreds, if not thousands of civilians able to build mortars. MG are also line of sight weapon. Which means it can only kill what it sees. While the mortar has direct and indirect fields of fire. So a mortar can fire upon anything within line of sight and plunging fire.
    Mortars are great and simple weapons. Now I ask you which would be more devastating in an attack. Is it from a single MG or hundreds of mortars?

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Assumes 1 HMG is as hard to build (and worth as much, materially) as 100 mortars. :blobconfused:

WOAH

6. VinnyOni1

VinnyOni1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Machine guns can be manned by one person, kill hundreds, and use less resources to make one. Hundreds of mortars would take significant part of his workforce to make, significant part of his soldiers to man, not necessarily kill more enemies, and use a lot more his is resources. They are self-sufficient as a town but have neither infinite manpower nor resources. Hundreds of mortars would put a strain on them both. Plus all the reasons everyone else gave. I can see the benefit of having mortars but they aren't needed. If he wanted to shoot long distance the cannons would still work.

jirka642 likes this.
  7. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Your right that’s a lot of assumptions, but the math won’t change. 1 Anna vs 1,000s common workers.

8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Mobile mortars can also be manned by one person. And your right it’ll take more resources. When compared to 1 to 1,000s. Let me point the obvious potential out again 1 weapon in the time of a 1,000s weapons. Since were at this juncture let me point out a few more. One Roland is contemplating creating a roughly a WWI iron battleship. If Roland was worried about resources he would never even consider that option. Two there is only one Anna. Let me be clear if we have Anna doing only MGs, then what about all her other projects? She is the only one who can do any precision work. So she is also the only one that can build the tools to build tools. She is also the only one who can build certain parts, machines, and large projects. While a blacksmith could roll out metal pipes as quick as he builds a sword. Sure the ammo maybe a problem, but you would have still have problems with that with either weapon. Thousands of MG rounds vs hundreds of mortar rounds.
    So your remark concerning manpower is a little off considering there is as I said only one Anna vs hundreds to thousands of refugees.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. BarriaKarl

BarriaKarl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After m*king love, Anna rested her head in Roland's arms and nuzzled up against him like a cat.

Okay, That is just ridiculous. Making love is censor worthy? Really?

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  10. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    You said 1 machine gun versus hundreds. That was the basis of my statement. A few machine guns can be manned by a few people and deal a lot of damage. A few hundred machine guns can not be manned by a few people. Now if you want to talk on a basis of one to one then it's a different conversation with different pros and cons.

And because he is thinking of creating the battleship he doesn't have enough resources to build a thousand mortars. And my remark on manpower still stands. You seem to believe that he has men just ready to build mortars. The blacksmiths have loads of other projects. You are operating under the belief that there is a surplus of people to build mortars, a surplus of soldiers to man mortars, and that Roland has enough resources to do all his current projects, the battleship, and build a large number of mortars. At this stage none of those things are true.

Maybe in the future when he does have those things he can start doing that but right now the men will have enough on their hands just building the new rifles for the army.

11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    My remarks still stand. If Roland can use thousand of tons of iron for a battleship. Then he has the ability to builds several tons of mortars. And the whole thing about not having enough manpower still stands 1 vs 1,000s. But for argument sake let’s drop my estimate by a factor of 10. That still leaves 1 vs 100. As I was saying Roland doesn’t have the man power isn’t correct. He has people sweeping the streets trying to find people work. Besides once the farms has been planted. You’ll have a surplus of personal before harvest.

12. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you staying because he has enough resources to build a battleship, he should have enough leftover to build hundreds of mortars? And that because it takes 1 anna to build a machine gun he should be able to afford 100 people to build mortars?

Farmers and other people aren't trained for it by the way. You just can't seamlessly transfer workers from department to department. It'll take training and more resources and time and manpower to get them ready. And not everyone he finds to work can be put to work on mortars or even blacksmith jobs. He has to supply workers for every department because every department is expanding. Once again you are assuming he can just assign as many workers as he likes to build mortars. Sure he could, if he wanted to stagnant the growth of his economics just for the sake of weapons he doesn't need.

I can get how mortars can be useful in warfare but currently it's a priority factor. He has so many things he has to put his resources (men/witches, money, materials) towards.

13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    No. That is not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that he doesn’t have a resource issue if he’s considering build a metal ship.
    No. I’m not saying that because Anna can build a MG that he could also afford 100 people to build mortars. I am saying the efficiency that your aiming for is an issue. We need Anna building many other things other than MGs. It would be more cost effective to use common labors to build 100 times more weapons then Anna alone.
    And for train personnel. Were not talking about doctors or engineers. Were talking about apprentice type of help for leading blacksmiths. So from master, journeymen, apprentice and helper blacksmiths turning them into leaders of helper and apprentice group. To build parts they can make. Even if we only take a quarter of all the master blacksmith you’d still have more than one person (ie Anna).
    Your worry about growth is a non starter because as I said the workers could be the farming staff unassigned to anything because of the loll in between planting and harvesting.

14. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't building the ship make it a resource issue... it's like if I had $100,000 saved but I spend 90,000 to buy a house. I don't have enough leftover to get a car and keep up with my bills and ect. And as for the training... no matter which part of the process you look at, it will require training to get them able to build any part of the mortar. In this era blacksmithing is the engineer equivalent.

Anna can still build other things, she has before. And like I said, he is expanding. When farmers aren't farming, that doesn't mean they are free to build mortars. He just finished taking over another city, is preparing reclaim land, connect the cities, expand his economics, start a new political system, and go to war. He is severely shorthanded, which is why he never stops recruiting new people because he never has enough.

15. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me be plain there is no resource issue.
    They have all the metal they would ever need. The proof is the battleship.
    Typically metal warships pre WWII were in the 1,000,000+ tonnage range. In comparison a mortar can range from 3lbs to 56lbs. A ton is 2,000lbs. So it would take 667 to 36 mortars to equal a ton. The amount of weapons a ton could build is staggering considering it’s not a primary weapon.
    Now considering skills. The people of this era aren’t stupid. They just lack opportunities. In fact some have shown genius level skills (ie Anna) and all they needed was a chance. Besides that’s why mass production work so well. Your not trying to train another blacksmith. Your training someone to do one thing over and over and over. No matter the person. Sooner or later he’ll find a few tricks/ skills to do a job easier, faster, and better.

16. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    mortar vs MG well roland dont care that much about humans, he is going to fight demons so he need the MG or better .... while he have enough to fight humans so why to waste time in mortars if he will need the MG anyway?.
    If mortars are needed later he can work on that later *shrug*
    They need to work on certain kill machines first the guerrilla tactis can be thought later.

17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it a waste of time?
    I believe not. There are more Con’s then Pro’s for an MG, especially when compared to mortars.

18. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its a lottery in truth ~~
    Making mortars would take time wich could be used to make something with better firepower.
    Not making them might cost you others losts wich could have been avoided but arent in sight atm.

19. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    You saying there is no resource issues doesn't mean there isn't. The story has repeatedly shown Roland having to delay or even scratch ideas due to that very problem. If you want me to believe that he has all the metal in the world to build whatever he wants, I need a current quote from the story saying those very words.

I live in a world where it takes time to learn to do a job and people to train them. I guess you live in one where with a little willpower and a bit of brainpower they can instantly learn a job that even in the modern world at least takes 2 years to get the basics of. Which is good for Roland since he is short of time with the war and looming demons.

In short, if he didn't have an issue with resources, manpower, and if people could just learn any job with no time training then he would already have completely modernized the world.

20. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Average range of weapons:
    Machine Guns-
    800 yards to 1,500 yards.
    Light Infantry Mortars-
    270 yards to 2.4 miles.
    One major advantage over MG.