QIDIAN ad-wall, seriously? === Mega-merge ====

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kylarin, Aug 1, 2017.

?

What are your thoughts on this?

1. I CALLLEEDDD IT THE WALL IS COMING!!!

37.4%
  2. Pteuh... Don't even mention their scumbag ass here on this holy ground...

25.5%
  3. Will stick around until pay wall comes then PITCHFORKSSS!!!

27.7%
  4. Meh as long as the paywall isn't too bad I'm all g (I'm also a rich 3rd generation chinese young mas

5.8%
  5. I don't even care anymore

24.6%
  6. Not another Qidian thread... nek me nao...

30.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @mrttao is it intrusive or obtrusive? I don't actually know what obtrusive means haha.

Don't bother trying to have a decent conversation with CKtalon. The dude showed his true colors when he shifted from WW to Qidian not because of the move, but because when he did so he went on reddit saying that he agreed with Qidian that WW stole Qidian IP. He's since deleted his posts but I read them, and RWX quoted enough of his posts for people to get the gist. He's also come into WW chat a few times to fling shit around (I was definitely watching the gross show) and there was this amazing moment that he blames RWX for the proliferation of Patreon and how it was against WW contract with Qidian.

It got so bad that RWX came into the mess that is general chat to refute it, and asked if CK was so morally concerned about Patreon, why didn't he close his down? CK answered that it was no use to only close his down when RWX didn't make the other WW translators close theirs. What an utter joke. CK is happy to burn RWX at the stake while doing the very things that he's condemning RWX for. Let's not forget when CK also answered resolutely that he would've gotten the same package from Qidian even if he hadn't been on WW. He thinks this star treatment and making 5x what other Qidian translators is making is purely based off of his own skill, and not the fact that Qidian wanted to screw over their biggest competition. This stuck out to me because even other WW translators were WTF in their chat.

You guys should hang out in the WW chat sometimes. It's good drama kek.

Again, he is not morally corrupt for switching to Qidian. I read IRAS and PDG and I still read them after they moved to Qidian. I have no issues with Legge or Yuki. They do what they gotta do. I do have an issue with hypocrites.

2. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is analogous to Patreon because watching a video ad is essentially exchanging your time for ad revenue. Yes, there is no money involved from the user. But doesn't that make it better? Readers get to see what they should not have been able to see earlier in exchange for watching an ad. Any time they decide not to watch the ads (such as by stockpiling), they become just like in the old model where chapters are free to read without walls of any kind. If you want to say it's a bad analogy, that's fine. But in essence, there's no difference from how Patreons access chapters and how adwalled readers access chapters. The only difference is that one pays money while the other watches ads. If it were exactly the same, it would be an equivalence, not an analogy.

The wall, but not the ad, is in your face, but it is meant for readers who do not mind watching the ad. Again, once you see the ad, it should mean, "I'm done reading. I'll have to wait for the next chapter to release".

I am not lashing out. I'm telling you that you have a choice. You seem very unhappy at me telling you that you have a choice.

About Qidian stealing WW's translations, that is a matter that will be decided by the courts. It may or may not be stealing. Qidian believes from the contract that they originally signed with WW that the translations can be used by them and that they are only using their entitled rights. Whether that is true or false will be determined by the courts.

The intrusive video ad only happens on bonus chapters, which again, you can choose not to watch it. I will not comment on WW's ads, but there are others that have complained about it either.

3. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was morally concerned, which is why I give a portion of my patron earnings to authors. Also, there was some misunderstanding between me and Ren about how the Patreon thing with Qidian played out. Qidian gave WW 6 months to bring the Patreon system in-house, so I no longer have any issues with that I have rescinded those comments and have privately apologized to him. I am also not going to mention it is or acknowledge that it was a problem anymore.

At the end of that debate, when RWX stepped forward to mention the six months, I pretty much said "that changes things" and took back what I said. Go and look at your logs.

The reason for the misunderstanding is because RWX is a very transparent guy. He had not mentioned that before privately to me or 'publicly' to the other translators until during that debate. I believed that we would be informed of such an important matter. He did say that Qidian closed one eye about the matter in passing but '6 months' is something very important, legally speaking.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both words can be used. As for what obtrusive means
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtrusive

Thanks for letting me know, that was informative.

@HighJayster you still here? You passed on some of the bugs I reported in this thread to QI and they fixed them, so I was hoping you could pass on another one.

Infinite scrolling results in infinite ads with infinite CPU usage. It makes the current "page" bigger and bigger, with CPU hungry animated ads for each page.

When binge reading The Avalon of the Five Elements. I noticed my browser was being very non responsive. After some investigation I tracked it down to the ads showing up on infinite scrolling, as hundreds of pages added up to hundreds of ads getting 100% CPU usage

I recommend infinite scrolling be altered such that older chapters get unloaded. Say, keep only 3 chapters loaded, the current one and the 2 previous ones. Or better yet, current chapter, last chapter, and next chapter.
    The older chapters could be reloaded later on if you manually scroll up for long enough to reach such old chapters.

(I mean, ideally ads would be unloaded in any chapter that isn't newest as well. Or even better, people would be allowed the option to not use infinite scrolling which sucks... but I doubt that would happen from posts so far).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    Wujigege likes this.
  5. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This still going on
    For me it clear just go pirate
    Why bother say like to support translator author bla bla
    First translator on qishit got pay and they got another from patreon
    And for cktalon damm i dont believi any bullshit he talking since he m9ve to qishit cause he is under nda and some say he hypocrite lol i believe its so true

6. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At some forgotten point, I stopped properly reading these mega-threads, but it's still interesting to watch their post count go up :blobpopcorn::cookie::blobpopcorn::cookie:

+1 spam post from me, for this thread :p:emoji_spam:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. Lurker of the dark

Lurker of the dark [Just a bored lurker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone here actually read all of these?
    (Just spam here)

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Leinn

Leinn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    too bad for qidian, im still using version 1.3 so i dont get any ads lol

9. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    For those who says Qidian wont be putting a paywall. I have a gift for you.

Qidian.jpg

Just found out when i was strolling through the site.

Spiritsong, mrttao and Mangochic like this.
  10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The same.
    How dare a company with paid staff make revenue.
    Burn them
    Off with their heads
    Gather the pitch forks people
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:
    #:emoji_spam:

11. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not interested on it but i wanted to use the pitch forks!!!
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

:sushi_cool:

swordman009, Quitutatur and Wujigege like this.
  12. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strawman AND an appeal to ridicule. What a twofer

13. greendestiny

greendestiny Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's up to them how they wan to run their company even if Ad walls are a slippery slope that could lead towards less clicks/views. I'm more concerned about how they have treated other sites that host web novels like Wuxiaworld. It says a lot about the lack of respect, honor, or even just common courtesy of Qidian. Aren't they also illegally hosting translations from Wuxiaworld? They may own the copyright of the novels on their site, but not the translations. That belongs to the translators.

If Qidian is dumb enough to set up a pay wall that's pretty much the end for them outside of China. Not enough rich 3rd generation young masters living abroad.

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Paywall can be profitable in the west.
    Don't let the vocal minority get to you.
    Lezhin comics has such a successful business model.
    At least I hope they are.
    There should be more examples.
    The monthly subscription model is not profitable. Spotify has not made any profit.
    Netflix too until they started producing content in house and now have the option to sell licensing/syndication rights for added revenue.
    Subscription model works to gain market share and crush competition . It only works for entrepreneurs looking to sell their companies to another.

#NotMyFallacy

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. greendestiny

greendestiny Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    #NotMyDestiny
    I stick to Blue Destiny.
    Well I gave an example
    http://koreanwebtoons.wikia.com/wiki/Lezhin_Comics
    . Even with all the subscription services people still buy books.
    A $5 book separated into multiple volumes cost the same as a Munpia novel (about $5)
    Then again, you see what you want to see.
    Over and out

17. greendestiny

greendestiny Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So wait, you want to pay for the novels? It's not like that money gets to the original authors. Almost all of that goes straight to Qidian b/c that's how they would make a profit with less people visiting the site.

Sites like Wuxiaworld, Volarenovels, and Gravity Tales are doing great on traditional Ad revenue and donations. I even whitelist those sites.

I have no problem with donating, I can also stand the Ad walls on my favorite novels, but pay wall is the line in the sand for me. I'll pay a mandatory fee for Netflix but not web novels. The quality is just not worth it. I already spend money on Western authors like Pat Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson, George RR Martin, Stephen King, Peter V Brett, Jim Hines, Jim Butcher, John Scalzi, etc.

BTW (and this is a total tangent), the best way to become a self published author is to find an editor or a writing group for help, then use Amazon. They have some great stuff up there.

To each their own I guess.

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    People pay for sex. Doesn't mean I have to.
    Just pointing out that such a model can be successful.
    Also quality is subjective: Do you consider Twilight a quality story?
    People will pay if they enjoy the books.

Subscription model is not successful.
    Amazon did not make any profit for ten years. US companies focus on market share over profit.
    It is not sustainable. Amazon might have made their brick and mortar counterparts bankrupt but they aren't exactly raking in profits

19. greendestiny

greendestiny Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? Amazon is worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Jeff Bezos is one of the wealthiest men in the world worth over 80 BILLION dollars. It all started with books and their book model is still very profitable both for them and for authors (although it's unfortunate that it comes at the cost of brick and mortar stores that I have fond memories of as a kid). I'm sure authors would like more of that pie, but it's a well working model for selling books.

mrttao likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazon is worth $460 billion by the way.
    I advice that you study a bit deeper into how Amazon works
    http://www.investopedia.com/article...ay-amazon-prime.asp?adtest=mobile-lazy-load-0
    Qidian International would most likely be looking at profit over market share.
    No need to copy Amazon.
    You could argue that they already own the largest web novel market share

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.