Discussion Angry rant : japan and slaves

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parpaing, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i wouldn't say ALL japanese light novels, more like the junk food jp novels do that and unfortunately, english translations seem to love junk food novels more than ones with more sophisticated storytelling.
    well, i would say "mimizuku to yoru no ou" doesn't fit this bill, it's a pretty good one volume novel, try it out it's really good.

XD and Parpaing like this.
  2. Mewtolentino

Mewtolentino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Troll I just find funny how we were talking about the Mc and in some point it change to the whole of the slavery system

3. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Each protagonist behave in somewhat of a pattern in novels
    Jap tend to go ero route or enjoy travelling with fluffly thoughts
    CN tend to go power crazy and at the end be one of the "gods" that can create everything with the flip of a hand.(his road paved with blood)
    KR - can't comment since I haven't reach the end of one.

Parpaing likes this.
  4. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, mimi is a girl, and female protagonists are a whole other cup of tea.

5. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    I was more pointing to the fact that a lot of people here seems to be fixated on JP novel whereas there are badly written slaves stories from all nationalities in the webnovels that you can find in NU... Why not going for bad slaving tropes of CN, FI, IND, MAL, THAI or KR novels (I didn't read many KR novels with a slave system tho) too ?

6. XD

XD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I understand what you're talking about. But there are some good JNovs where the protagonist attempts to end slavery. I haven't been reading any lately because danmei has taken over my list, but off the top of my head I can think of Common Sense of the Duke's Daughter.

It is frustrating to read protagonists act opposite of how you want. I've dropped many novels because I can't stand the protagonist, and none of the side characters were able to save the novel at all.

But what can you expect from webnovels? I see them as nooby authors, so I don't get too frustrated.

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Well first of all, if a person has true beliefs in something he would have had the slavery removed anyways. It just was convenient for him so he did it.

And yes, the girls begging not to be freed makes no sense. I could understand like in Death March where if they were freed in the racist areas, that would just make them subject to being captured again (And later on they leave slavery). But in Growth Cheat there, there was no reason to remain slaves. The fact that all of his slaves begged to remain slaves is a bit silly...

Parpaing likes this.
  8. Mewtolentino

Mewtolentino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp if you don't want to read beta Mc's anymore just read from bakatsuki they got the good stuff almost all other English translator likes to translate crap stories I seriously don't understand why

Parpaing likes this.
  9. Parpaing

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even care about ending slavery in their novels, I just hate how the author fetishes it, it's a cheap way, often badly explained and that doesn't make much sense in the context of the story to introduce a new consistent character that you don't have to develop their personality since they're tools. I just want the author to write quality stories.

otaku31, Seraphic and XD like this.
  10. Parpaing

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love this kind of rant, helps me be clear in what I believe and stay consistent in my values, and also concretize my opinion.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing that needs to be mentioned is a society heavily reliant on slaves wouldn't realistically put the majority of them through constant starvation and beatings for no particular reason, as it would be counterproductive to have them unable to work properly.
    And historically slaves often did have some degree of legal rights depending on what kind of slave they were.
    Authors for some reason tend to love the idea of malnourished slaves that are treated like crap and beaten every day, which definitely did happen and still do, but isn't exactly an accurate representation of a whole society with legal slavery.

Seraphic and Parpaing like this.
  12. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of those authors are teenagers(middle-aged hopefully not) who post willy nilly on the jap site.
    It's open to all so practically anyone can post a story there.
    The one who made invijible panda is the one who "translated" it. He made an acct, wrote it in jap and post it on the jap site so he can legally link it to NU.(according to NU rules you can't link novels that aren't translated asian novels)
    There is no quality control so it's up to the translators discretion whether or not he/she wanted to translate a piece.

13. Parpaing

Reading List:
    Link
    There was just so much to talk about in the lack of sense in these novels that I forgot to talk about this part, since I'm airheaded, it ended up slipping out of my mind.

14. WorldMaker

WorldMaker Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Parpaing

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose those garbo novels are the price to pay for the off-chance that there happens to be one gem in this pile of crap, and that quality wouldn't be the same if garbage didn't exist. Helps us appreciate truly well written novels, otherwise we'd be desensitized to quality.

16. BumChikiBum

BumChikiBum "Notice me, Onii-chan!~"

Reading List:
    Link
    Slave~ Slave everywhere~

17. Giggles76

Giggles76 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well this is just the rant of an uneducated pleb. Slavery isn't the evil system its always made out to be. Most writers, be it historical or fictional tend to focus on the negative aspects and pick out the most tragic stories. Like with anything, there are good examples and bad examples. Take slavery in America, Movies like Roots portray the horrors of the time but don't talk about how things were worse for free slaves. Their work days are long yes but that was the case for most poor people back then. in truth slaves didn't work much more than regular farmers, and MOST had decent lives. Good slave owners took care of their slaves and kept them well fed and even tried to keep them happy since they would work better when they were healthy and strong. Malnourished or weak slaves would not be useful, and a dead slave is just lost revenue. Slaves were not cheap, they actually cost a fair amount of money, and patrons would not waste money to just let their slave starve to death. Indentured servants (a lesser form of slavery) also had a more decent life than most free people. They essentially had a Job a place to sleep and guaranteed meals. When slavery was abolished in the US, the lives of slaves became VERY bad. They were given little coin, basically got fired from their jobs and then thrown into the streets and told "do what you want". Neglected, uneducated and few able or willing to help. More former slaves died (usually from starvation) during the following couple of years than the previous 20 years combined. No matter how demi-godly a character may be, Going on a mission to end slavery on a worldwide scale is not an easy task, and not something that can be done in a few chapters. (plus, lets be honest, the logistics would be hella boring)

You say you would rather do anything else than be a slave? Go to a big a city, find where the homeless gather and take a walk through a shanty town. You say you rather be a poor peasant, But I really don't think you know what that would really mean. Most former slaves begged to become slaves again, were willing to work for less than they got when they were slaves. You as a modern "educated" person who has been conditioned all their life to believe slavery is bad and known nothing but freedom of course wouldn't want to be a slave. But in a world where being a slave is all you know or can even do. Suddenly being "freed" without proper support is just a death sentence.

Even CN and KN have slavery (unless they are dumb VRMMORPG novels) Though they tend to call them "servants" which is essentially slavery without the title. There are a few CN novels I could name off the top of my head that have slavery and they are still good reads:
    Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World - The MC purchases hundreds of slaves.

Then you say you don't read JN because of slavery? there are tons of novels that don't have slavery. But slavery is a common thing though our history as a race and not just restricted to one set of people. it was practiced in one form or another by almost every culture at some point in their history and thou not a common thing anymore (and illegal) is still in practice in some places to this day. It would be in fact less likey that you would find a primitive world where it isn't a thing.

asriu and branislavs369 like this.
  18. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    Slave = Sex
    Are you on board?

19. Drake888

Drake888 That one guy. You know, the one over there.

Reading List:
    Link

No way can you include Summoned Slaughterer in this. He doesn't give a shit about slavery. He thinks it's kind of weird and different but he's too busy murdering people to get on any kind of moral high horse. Seriously, he only cares about killing. Hence the title. Also, it's one of the few situations where the slave wanting to stay a slave makes sense. He gets two slaves. He offers to free both of them. One accepts because it's the obvious, sane choice. The other refuses because she wants to sleep with the MC and being his slave is the only way she can force him to pay attention to her. She flat out asks to sleep with him at one point and he says that he isn't interested in women, he's only interested in killing. He doesn't bother with comrades because he wants to do his own thing, so the only way for the girl to convince him to let her tag along is to be useful and maintain the slave contract. And even then she has to be the one to chase after him. Although admittedly, I stopped reading it around chapter 70 so maybe there's some new slave I don't know about.

20. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Which made me thinking.
    What should MC do to prohibit slavery?
    Conquer the land and then promulgated a royal decree?
    Create an abolitionist movement? (but on what basis? Did humanism like philosophy exists in the isekai?)
    Solve the manpower shortage with invention? (How would it be mass produced? How will it distributed?)
    Shift the society mores with brainwashing, education, or indoctrination?

How would a single person could move the world?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.